Skip to content
Yet another wee Noo...

Notifications
Clear all

Yet another wee Nooblet saying 'Howdy' :)

20 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@heatherjocey)
Topic starter

So Howdy :)

My name's Heather and I'm an American exported to the Netherlands who for the first 30 years of a fairly normal life has always been on the 'Oooh, Guitar players are so dreamy!' side of the fence. After chatting to a few friends on-line who played various stringed wonders from electrics to the banjo, I finally came to the realization that I can do this too, if I try hard enough. Saving the pennies mode was engaged and a short time later I found myself standing in a massive cavern of a guitar shop with sparkles in my eyes, staring at the array of goodies laid out on the walls before me. In the end, and with much help from a kind fella who worked there, I walked out with an Ibanez EWC30PDE. It's a guitar I've never really seen talked of, but for me it was just right. It was a lot smaller than the rest of the acoustics the shop had which I tried. I held it, strummed it once and it had to be mine. It was the only one that didn't dwarf me entirely, or make me feel like I was trying to wrap my arms around an elephant, and it really does sound great for its size :)

Well, that purchase was three months ago, and I've been practicing steadily ever since. While I know in general I still sounds awful, there's a lot of progress there and I'm just so darn happy trying to learn that I don't feel so bad tormenting my significant other with it any more. Perhaps he'll eventually break down and come play with me too :)

In any case, here I am, and hopefully here I am to stay with my little guitar and my now calloused fingers that still feel strange to me. I've been reading the older posts of this forum for the past few days, and I'm so happy to have stumbled across this site. Thanks for having already been there to answer many of my questions I've had... just by using the search function :)

Cheers,
-Heather

Posted : 25/05/2007 7:37 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hi Heather and welcome! Looks a lovely guitar. Sounds like you're well and truly on the way already!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 25/05/2007 9:19 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi Heather!

Very nice guitar!

Welcome to GN! :D

Posted : 25/05/2007 9:53 am
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Hi Heather, welcome to GN.

You can certainly play the guitar, if you put some time and spirit into it.

We already have a great member from your country (Sleutelbos or Arjen), who is among the top ten posters here. So you have good company at GN.

Play often and play well.

Rahul

Posted : 25/05/2007 9:58 am
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN, Heather.

That is a lovely instrument you have there.

Look forward to seeing you round the forums.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 25/05/2007 12:15 pm
(@runswithscissors)
Eminent Member

From newbie to another...welcome!

How can you tell the stage is level?

The drummer drools from both sides of his mouth!

Posted : 25/05/2007 1:19 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN Heather. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 25/05/2007 1:45 pm
(@denny)
Reputable Member

Hi Heather. Welcome to GN.

Denny

Posted : 25/05/2007 2:01 pm
(@heatherjocey)
Topic starter

Thanks for all the Howdie's back, you guys are great. :)

I do look forward to picking your musical minds for answers to my dilemas in the future on this super forum :)

-Heather

Posted : 25/05/2007 2:09 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Thanks for all the Howdie's back, you guys are great. :)

I do look forward to picking your musical minds for answers to my dilemas in the future on this super forum :)

-Heather
Welcom to GN

Flattery will get you everywhere :lol: :lol: :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 25/05/2007 2:26 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, Heather! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

Be sure to check out our Women's forum "The Other Side"!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 25/05/2007 4:18 pm
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Welcome, Heather. Looks like a nice guitar to me. Enjoy!

Posted : 25/05/2007 4:50 pm
 Rune
(@rune)
Trusted Member

Welcome to GN!

Looks like a sweet instrument, but I want to know how it sounds! Any intentions of recording a little so we can hear it? :)

It's a dry heat!

Posted : 25/05/2007 5:56 pm
(@heatherjocey)
Topic starter

Honey, I was raised as a genuine Southern Belle. That's just our natural manner of speaking! :D

Oh I will! I'm so glad to finally not be the only girl I know who has any interest in this. I didn't even realise our realitive 'rarity' until I went shopping for the guitar, and I noticed I was the only female in the shop at the time. ;P
Looks like a sweet instrument, but I want to know how it sounds! Any intentions of recording a little so we can hear it? :)

I do plan to, one day... once I've actually learned how the heck to hook it up to my computer and record anything! I'm curious as well as to what folks think of using non standard woods on acoustics, like the padauk on this one, but that's another topic and post alltogether!. :)

Best,
-Heather

Posted : 25/05/2007 6:49 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Honey, I was raised as a genuine Southern Belle. That's just our natural manner of speaking! :D

Reminds me of my neighbor's niece, who came to visit for a week. She said that she had never had her heart blessed as many times in her whole life as she did in the week she spent in Texas! ("Well, darlin', just bless your heart!")

Oh I will! I'm so glad to finally not be the only girl I know who has any interest in this. I didn't even realise our realitive 'rarity' until I went shopping for the guitar, and I noticed I was the only female in the shop at the time. ;P

Yes, we're still definitely in the minority, but that is changing every day! More and more young girls are learning to play than ever before! By the time the girls who are 13 and playing now become 18 or 19, they'll be giving the guys a run for their money! Yay!

:D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 25/05/2007 9:34 pm
Page 1 / 2