Notifications
Clear all

38 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I noticed in another thread PBee's just celebrated birthday #50.......seems like quite a few of us have recently reached that particular milestone, or are about to.....

So what was happening in 1957, 50 years ago, in the music world?

Famous singers/musicians born that year include....

Cindy Wilson (B52's)- James Ingram - Steve Harris (Iron Maiden) - Siouxsie (Banshees) - Peter Murphy (Bauhaus) - Gloria Estefan - Nick Cave - Phil Collen (Def Leppard) - Billy Bragg - Shane McGowan (Pogues).....

As well as Sid Vicious and Laura Brannigan, who are no longer with us..

Some of the #1 hits of that year were All Shook Up, Teddy Bear and Jailhouse Rock....All Elvis, of course...Wake Up Little Susie - Everly Brothers and You Send Me - Sam Cooke.

Other best-selling records were....

Bye Bye Love (Everly Bros again....)
Blueberry Hill - Fats Domino
Everyday, Not Fade Away, Peggy Sue and Oh Boy - all for Buddy Holly
Great Balls Of Fire & Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On, both for Jerry Lee Lewis
Lucille & Tutti Frutti, both for Little Richard
Reet Petite - Jackie Wilson
Rock'n'Roll Music - Chuck Berry
Rumble - Link Wray

And at around 7.00pm on Saturday July 6th in the church hall of St Peter's Church in the district of Woolton in Liverpool, 16-year-old John Lennon was introduced to 15-year-old Paul McCartney after John's group, the Quarrymen, had played at the Woolton Parish Church Fete.........

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 05/01/2007 1:14 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

according to my "public school" math, TwistedLefty was conceived that year in Nov. :P

#4491....

Posted : 05/01/2007 9:33 am
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

Yea - another lefty here - November '56.

Bob Jessie

Posted : 05/01/2007 7:37 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

according to my "public school" math, TwistedLefty was conceived that year in Nov. :P

Gosh, ur old. :shock:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 05/01/2007 9:07 pm
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

My Catholic schooling doesn't let me figure stuff like that out!

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

Posted : 05/01/2007 9:29 pm
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

My Catholic schooling doesn't let me figure stuff like that out!

OOOH! U'm gonna send Sister over with a ruler to smack your knuckles!

Truth be told, I'm another 57 baby. since all the mags say 60is the new 40, I'm going with 50 being the new 30!!

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

Posted : 05/01/2007 9:41 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

OOOH! U'm gonna send Sister over with a ruler to smack your knuckles! <<<<<<Now that there is funny. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Truth be told, I'm another 57 baby. since all the mags say 60is the new 40, I'm going with 50 being the new 30!! This theory I'm liking a lot, oh yeah!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 05/01/2007 9:45 pm
(@trevor)
Trusted Member

oh its' a shame some of us born way later

I'm a 63 model ( ha ha ) and I have no knowledge of what the hell you people are talking about ( ha ha ha)

Joke people only a joke

We had the cane ( bamboo can wacked around your legs ) I guess that is why so many of my class mates became good dancers and light on their toes

OOO I can still remember the noise as it cracked the back of my legs or finger tips ...

Happy memories People

.........double space ..........

I am aso known as Barnabus Rock ...Hilch ....ummmm yeah thats it

Posted : 05/01/2007 10:07 pm
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Actually, the Blessed Sisters of Perpetual Misery beat me right-handed!

I was born left-handed and was until I started going to St. Justins, in the first grade, I STILL have nightmares about learning to write! From what I understand, left-handed people were considered guided by the devil!

Remembering what little Latin I learned, left was "sin" and right was "dex", hence the terms "sinister" (from the left side) and "dexterous" (from the right).

Thanks to the penguins, I now can do things badly with both hands! :twisted:

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......

Posted : 05/01/2007 10:21 pm
(@trevor)
Trusted Member

I started my schooling in simular fashion Racetruck Lefty at the beginning after 10 years of being belted on the knuckles for writting left handed I became right handed when writing , left hand at every thing else . Started playing the guitar right handed as that was I had ..

.........double space ..........

I am aso known as Barnabus Rock ...Hilch ....ummmm yeah thats it

Posted : 05/01/2007 10:31 pm
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member

I started my schooling in simular fashion Racetruck Lefty at the beginning after 10 years of being belted on the knuckles for writting left handed I became right handed when writing , left hand at every thing else . Started playing the guitar right handed as that was I had ..

did ye go to the same school as me lads still left handed though

Posted : 05/01/2007 10:35 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Since all the mags say 60 is the new 40, I'm going with 50 being the new 30!!

YAY! Since I reached 50 last year, I like your math! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 05/01/2007 11:39 pm
(@thetallcoolone)
Estimable Member

Since all the mags say 60 is the new 40, I'm going with 50 being the new 30!!

YAY! Since I reached 50 last year, I like your math! :D

Me likey too!
I'm hitting the big 5-0 this summer.

http://www.soundclick.com/thetallcoolone

Posted : 06/01/2007 2:14 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Well if 50's the new 30, I'm looking forward to it....it'll make a change from being the world's oldest teenager....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 06/01/2007 2:27 am
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

did ye go to the same school as me lads still left handed though

No, but I betcha all the Sisters did! :shock:

Posted : 06/01/2007 2:36 am
Page 1 / 3