30 years and counting.

29 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@1armbandit)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Cause for celebration?

April 28, 1980 at about 3:00 PM I was a passenger in a fire truck responding to a call. The truck rolled over when we were turning a corner and my right arm was torn off at the elbow.

So today I'm celebrating. Strange huh? Not that I am celebrating losing my arm but the fact that I have had 30 additional years to walk this earth.

30 more years with my loving wife (thank you Linda).

30 more years of watching my children at birth and seeing them grow to be adults that I can be proud of (thank you Joseph and Jennifer).

30 more years of learning from and sharing time with my parents and sisters (thanks to you all).

30 more years of people coming into my life, offering help when needed and humor as well.

I will never know what my life would have been had I not gotten in that truck that day. I was good at being average, blending in, not one to stand out in a crowd.
All of that changed. Even with an artificial arm I no longer blend in. Children will point me out to their parents. People will stop me and ask what happened.
So now I don't try to blend in, I may have taken on things that I would have let go had I not lost an arm. Maybe I wouldn't have kept up with martial arts until I got my Black belt. Maybe I would never have taken up guitar.
I don't feel like I do any of these things to be an example but only to prove to myself that I am no different now than I would have been had the accident not happened.

I believe that the Lord has blessed my effort in attempting these things and only by His strength have I succeeded.

To keep from jabbering on I would sum up my life philosophy this way:

I am not looking at what this world has done to me, I am looking at what the Lord is doing for me.

Thanks to each of you that has touched my life and have a Blessed day.

Jack

Posted : 28/04/2010 3:03 pm
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Great post! Thanks for sharing, Jack.

8)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Posted : 28/04/2010 3:29 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Jack not sure what to say other than you have a great attitude and I hope the the next 30 years are even better for you!

I think the world needs a lot more people like you.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 28/04/2010 4:45 pm
(@1armbandit)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks guys.
I'm not too sure that the world needs more of me or not, I'm not even sure if I want more of me. :lol:

Posted : 28/04/2010 4:57 pm
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

Pure inspiration.

Thanks for posting.

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Posted : 28/04/2010 7:19 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Nice post, man! You gotta do whatchya gotta do, and you did. Way to go. 8) 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 29/04/2010 2:29 pm
(@1armbandit)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the response everyone. I know from reading on here that several have had their own issues and overcome them. That has certainly been an inspiration to me.
A special thanks to Noteboat for the help that he gave me.

Jack

Posted : 29/04/2010 4:21 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Last couple of weeks, I've been feeling pretty hard done by - can't pick up a guitar, can't play at all. Torn a muscle in my shoulder. Now, I feel really humbled - a few weeks without guitar? OK, it feels like a lot longer - but I've never had to overcome a handicap of that magnitude, I feel like a real wimp and crybaby for moaning 'cos I can't play for a few weeks. Thanks for your post, 1armbandit, you helped me put things in perspective....and long may you rock!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 14/05/2010 1:23 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Jack, I missed this nice post.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

:D

Posted : 14/05/2010 11:01 am
(@1armbandit)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks again everyone.

Jack

Posted : 14/05/2010 5:14 pm
(@1armbandit)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I guess it is offically 31 years and counting now.

Another year has gone by and all I can see are the great things I would have missed.

I had the opprotunity to play at several events with people that I really enjoy being around, was best man at our son's wedding and played at their reception, gave my permission for a great young man to marry our daughter (maybe in January) and just spent the year enjoying life.
Not every minute of everyday but better than 50/50 I would say. :lol:

Thanks once more to everyone here and hopefully we will all get together down the road.

Jack

Posted : 28/04/2011 5:36 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Way to go Jack!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 28/04/2011 5:38 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Congrats, Jack!
Sounds like it's been a great year. 8)
:)

Don

Posted : 28/04/2011 5:58 pm
(@apache)
Reputable Member

Wow! thanks for sharing that Jack - that really is inspirational :D

Posted : 28/04/2011 6:15 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Jack. what an anniversary! looks like you play lap slide.
a few years ago I met a slide player at a show. he too lost part of an arm. he plays great lap steel. his prosthetic hand holds the chrome slide. he is a mean harp player too. he is amazing to watch.
I think it is important to remember events that shape and change our lives.
it will be 30 years ago tonight that my house burned to the ground. I lost everything except my life. I learned that was all I needed....that and my friends.
here's to jack and another 30 years.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 29/04/2011 1:28 pm
Page 1 / 2