Clear all

8-) Rockin' at a Funeral 9/16/06

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Guy from our church died last week. Chuck and his wife Terry were big supporters of our praise band, and were instrumental in convincing the church to "modernize" by adding contemporary songs to the worship services. Terry asked us to play a few songs in tribute to Chuck at the memorial service. How cool is that?

We were missing one guitarist who was out of town, but added a mandolin player in the prior week. Plus we had a few vocalists who had been MIA over the last few months show up. In total we had drums, bass, keys, rhythm guitar, mandolin guy playing the melody lines, and eight ( 8 !) singers - practically our own choir! In the few services in which I've played, we've had 3 or 4 singers, so this was a bit of a change. Plus there were maybe 300 people at the memorial (Chuck was a popular guy!), all lending their voices too.

Best part: The original album version of one of the songs, Matt Redman's "Blessed Be Your Name," starts off with some palm-muted, percussive acoustic guitar strumming. During practice on Wednesday, I was noodling on my bass playing muted 8th notes while the vocalists were discussing one part of the song. The band leader looked up at me and said "That's how the real song starts! Can you do that as the intro?" Of course, in my head I'm thinking "Well, it should really be the acoustic guitar guy doing that ..." But my lips said "Sure!" And that's how I ended up playing my first four-measure bass "solo." :lol: Gotta admit, I was really nervous right before I got the song started, even though it's a very simple progression. Being in the spotlight is a little unnerving compared to just playing a behind-the-scenes support role. But it went great, and I got quite a few compliments afterwards.

We only played four songs, plus the band leader did a solo vocal of MercyMe's great song "I Can Only Imagine" which had everyone in the church wiping tears away. It was probably the emotion of the service, but everyone in the band seemed to step up their playing.

I hope Chuck heard us.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Posted : 17/09/2006 12:51 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Sounds like a wonderful tribute to the man and his life.

I'm sure he heard you, and how meaningful for his wife and loved ones, too.

Margaret

[edit: I gotta ask.....No Amazing Grace?? :) ]

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 17/09/2006 3:54 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

That really hit some emotional strings, Slej.

Nice write up and good job on your solo.

I remember the first time our pastor told me I was doing the lead. I was like, ur kidding right? You've never heard me do that. Probably won't again, either. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 17/09/2006 4:04 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Great report. I'm sure your friend heard you and was pleased.

And steppin' up on that bass guitar, you are getting there. You will find the more you perform in front of people the more relaxed you will feel. You start out all nervous and anxious, and then one day you step out and play a solo with confidence. You'll be there soon.

Keep on playin' 8)

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 17/09/2006 6:18 pm
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks folks.

No AG, Margaret. ;) This was a rock 'n roll funeral for the most part!

We got an email from the pastor today, thanking us for participating, telling us how appropriate the song selections were (well, Terry picked 'em ...), and how "well balanced" we sounded throughout the hall. Nice!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Posted : 19/09/2006 1:12 am
 Glee
(@glee)
Estimable Member

sounds like a good group of people.
gj sledj keep it up

Tim

Posted : 19/09/2006 1:59 am
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Wow, live music is all about emotion, and you hit the jackpot!

Posted : 19/09/2006 2:25 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Great report Slej.

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 19/09/2006 9:04 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Just saw this Mitch. Very cool. I'm sure your friend loved it! Great songs. :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 19/09/2006 3:11 pm