Clear all

A couple minor sing-a-longs

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

A first for me. I made my first trip up north since 2007 and my first to bring a guitar. I brought my acoustic along. We just spent 3 1/2 days as it's very difficult for me to travel. The first two nights were very clear which meant I had some decent times with my head pressure thing and was able to play some guitar. The last two days were rainy with storms, so I wasn't up to much of anything.

I played some songs my mother picked out of my song-book. Most older pop and country tunes that I had in there. Things like "Pancho & Lefty" (Thanks Don!!), "Ring of Fire", "Folsom Prison Blues", "Daydream Believer", "Friends in Low Places", "City of New Orleans", "Crazy", "Tennessee Waltz", "Cat's In The Cradle" and "Unchained Melody" to name a few. I took breaks about every 3rd or 4th song and probably did 10-15 each afternoon. My Mother did most of the sing-a-long and really got into it. I did hear my wife and my step-father sing a time or two.

My son hung back and watched and wagged his finger at me a time or two when I started to substitute naughty lyrics in place of the real ones. :P

I can tell that when I do have the head-stamina to do the senior's home thing that the Mic is going to be really important. I've been working on it when I can. Without the rig, I could not sing above my guitar comfortably even after adjustments in playing. The vocals were reverberating quite strongly. That's why most of my vocal efforts I put in Hear Here are first or second take. My mother made the comment that you'all and my wife has been telling me all along, that my vocals sound best when I'm able to belt them out.

TR, I did no driving on this trip and PA's mountains got to me, but hopefully I'll be able to arrange a visit my next time up. My Mother is actually moving 45 minutes closer to you. 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 27/06/2011 5:08 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Cool! My son and I already did a Cooperstown trip this spring. Thought about you on the way through Richville Springs.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 27/06/2011 7:11 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

My son and I were going to do the same, but ran out of time. He's been before, but that was a long time ago. I'm thinking 10 years or so.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 27/06/2011 9:47 pm