Clear all

Gig Report: Essential Sounds Big Band - Harwich 25 June

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@alangreen)
Topic starter

And so it came to pass -

4 trumpets, 2 trombones, bari-sax, tenor sax, a couple of clarinets, electric piano, drums, bass, one singer and me playing electric lead all descended on the Kingsway Hall in Harwich, Essex, last night for our second (and the first paying) gig. Our singer came along with a new mixing console - it looks better than the one we used last time but trying out a new toy on stage only a few hour after bringing it home is a bit of a risky idea.

We got on stage late so we had to cut the show a bit short and run without a break, and I had a dodgy amp connection early on which was resolved in the time-honoured tradition of shaking it about, but we sounded tight, people danced and clapped and said we were fantastic. Music included Glenn Miller, Frank Sinatra, Michael Buble, some strict tempo ballroom work and some good old honest rock and roll.

Personal highlights - my first live performance of that solo in Crazy Little Thing Called Love; note perfect and belted right across the front of the sound mix from stage left without touching the volume controls. I love my compressor pedal.

Roll on the next show.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 26/06/2011 8:27 am
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

sounds like a great gig Alan - will you guys be venturing as far as the north of england any time soon?

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 27/06/2011 11:25 am
(@alangreen)
Topic starter

Don't know. We need to get out of Harwich at some stage. The Essex Guitar Orchestra are up in Satterthwaite at the end of July, but I'll keep everybody posted if I can get the Big Band up there.

I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 27/06/2011 2:11 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

And the south of Europe? Congrats Alan! :D

Compressor pedals are cool.

Posted : 27/06/2011 2:39 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I was doing fine until I read Essex. Now, I can't get past the image of a stage full of shell-suits.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 27/06/2011 4:28 pm
(@alangreen)
Topic starter

Honestly, some people.

We were playing for the Freemasons. No shell suits, but we did play with our trouser legs rolled up

Posted : 27/06/2011 5:48 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Just the one, I hope..........

What aboout the apron? You could claim it stops buckle rash, I suppose.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 27/06/2011 7:07 pm
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member

Personal highlights - my first live performance of that solo in Crazy Little Thing Called Love; note perfect and belted right across the front of the sound mix from stage left without touching the volume controls.

That's AWESOME!!! :D

Ambition is the path to success...persistence is the vehicle you arrive in!!!

Posted : 28/06/2011 6:10 pm