Clear all

A Year With GN and Tremendous Progress

14 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@specialsof)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Just a quick update to say, I have not been a part of GN for a year (sinch June 2006). What a year it has been. I love this site.

I don't post a lot of questions/answers in the forum, but I use the site nearly every day, at least a couple times a week, and have found it extremely valuable and helping me get the next level. I spend most of my time here doing the lessons that are posted by David and others.

I had taken live lessens from an excellent teacher in 1998 - 2000, but unfortunately he passed away at an early age (in his 40's). Due to busyness of life (work, etc.,) and not being required to "stay with it" I kind of slacked off for about 4 years, but really kicked the practice and playing up again in early 2006.

Oddly enough, I have found in the last three or four months that I am now making huge strides, and being able to play things I just couldn't do before. I think playing in public (I play solo's nearly every Sunday in church now, and now also am leading the congregation in hymns while I play) has made me more bold, willing to experiment more, and just a better player. I kind of feel like I am coming into my own style. This all has helped me get over those jitters.

Thanks for allowing me to bore everyone with this, but I thought it might encourage someone who feels like they practice a lot and it doesn't seem to help as quickly as they wish. In time, it definately begins to work. People are beginning to introduce me as the guy who plays the guitar.

I still have a long ways to go, but at least I can see light at the end of road now.

Posted : 16/06/2007 4:36 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Very encouraging post and not boring in the least.

Thanks for showing the other side of learning to play.

Keep up the great progress and I'm really happy to hear how well it's going in church!!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 16/06/2007 4:42 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I agree! Very encouraging and not boring at all! This is what GuitarNoise is all about!!! Thanks for sharing!! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 16/06/2007 5:55 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Thats great news. :) Keep it up!!

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 16/06/2007 11:04 pm
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Congratulations! Good for you. A little determination (and a lot of practice) pays off, huh? 8)

Posted : 16/06/2007 11:04 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Always good to hear that someone's doing well and getting pleasure out of their guitars. Keep up the hard work - look forward to reading how much further you've come this time next year!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 16/06/2007 11:09 pm
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I don't post a lot of questions/answers in the forum, but I use the site nearly every day, at least a couple times a week, and have found it extremely valuable and helping me get the next level. I spend most of my time here doing the lessons that are posted by David and others.

Great to hear of your progress. :)

Particularly good to hear that you are quietly getting on with the lessons here, and getting a lot from them. I've often wondered how many people do actually work through online lessons, as opposed to just having a quick view and then moving on again. I have a terrible record in this respect, having downloaded many lessons from various sites and then rarely if ever worked through them to the finish. :oops: :oops:

Good luck for your next year, and also thanks - you've inspired me to get back and work through some of those lessons, and do them properly this time. :)

Cheers,

Chris

Posted : 16/06/2007 11:36 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Good for you! 8) Congrats & keep at it! :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 17/06/2007 12:51 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Thats great! Feel free to post some more too. We'll read'em.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 17/06/2007 2:43 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Thats great! Feel free to post some more too. We'll read'em.

And ..... We'll reply to 'em, too!! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 17/06/2007 5:56 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Nice to note your progress. This site and the forum are one of the best things that happened to me.

Good Luck for your future.

Rahul

Posted : 18/06/2007 7:14 am
(@specialsof)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I appreciate all the good comments. This is a great forumn and site for sure.

To the one who commented about doing the lessons, I go back over and over them, working on several songs at once. A side benefit to this (which I guess I had not thought about at first) was I ended up incorportating "stuff" that David and others taught in the lessons to other songs I was working on, as well as just when playing and improvising.

Posted : 18/06/2007 9:17 pm
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Congrats and keep up the great work.

I always find it a source of encouragement to hear how other people are progressing. Makes me want to try harder.

Look forward to seeing you more round the forums. :wink:

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 19/06/2007 6:03 am