Notifications
Clear all

Alan Green - Redundancy and Music

9 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@alangreen)
Topic starter

Hee hee - I wrote a short article for this London website about losing my job, lunchtime concerts, and getting back into work. They published it today and already I have enquiries about lessons and a mail from the BBC about a documentary. I'll keep you posted.

"Here Is The City" carries a range of financial news, humour, rumour, gossip and outright anarchy but it's a laugh and almost everybody in my industry reads it. Enjoy

http://news.hereisthecity.com/news/business_news/9059.cntns

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 15/05/2009 8:34 pm
(@davidhodge)

That was a good read, Alan.

And I'm glad you're keeping a hand in the music - I know that makes you happy. Looking forward to maybe seeing you on the BBC.com pages!

Peace

Posted : 15/05/2009 9:10 pm
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Great read Alan ,

Hope the job prospects improve soon

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 16/05/2009 2:31 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Nice article Alan. Good luck with your new job. :D

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 16/05/2009 11:43 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Nice read, and good luck on the new job.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 16/05/2009 1:02 pm
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Good to know that you're back in work Alan - 'playing in another key' as it were...

All the best with building a second stream via the teaching.

Cheers,

Chris

Posted : 16/05/2009 10:45 pm
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Great article Alan,

Just been through the same redundancy thing myself but in engineering. Strange how the boss comes out with the same script, no matter what company or job you are in.

Afraid I'm not good enough at guitar to do what you did, but I got back into work in about the same timespan as you. See my post `relocated' in the news forum.

All the best in your new job,

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

Posted : 18/05/2009 11:10 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Nice article, Alan. I for one am glad you've decided to devote more time to music, and also that you managed to keep your sense of humour - that comes through in the article. I'm curious - would your "perfect world" include working part-time at the investment banking, and part-time at teaching guitar? Or, in this "perfect world," would you be teaching guitar full-time?

Good luck, anyway, at whatever you decide to do.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 18/05/2009 9:39 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Good luck with everything, although I haven't actually been laid-off (US term for redundancy) but I've come very close the last three times which seem to happen about every 9 months or so now.

It's a horrible way to have to work always worrying when the next lay off is coming.

Hope the music works out for you!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 19/05/2009 1:27 am