Weird Night. Good Night.

11 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Okay, long story short....

O went to see my mate's band play. They were tight! Then. we went to see some country music. Not usually my thing, but my pops liked it so I dig listening.

I met a bunch of good contacts, and am signed up for a big jam night. Also, I may be getting taught how to sing!!!!!!!!!!!* Also, I may be collaborating with some wonderfully nice and wonderfully talented people. People who bought me drink and food all night. And who have the same/similar musical leanings as me. And who might possibly ever so slightly maybe have potential record deals they might ever so slightly possibly maybe might want me to maybe work on. It's all very contingent, but I'll let you know where it end up.

All in all, a good night. On all fronts.

Edit: * If this person can't teach me how to sing, no one in Liverpool can...

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 16/05/2009 3:03 am
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Cool Sara! Can't wait to hear you sing :)

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

Posted : 16/05/2009 7:28 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Wow! sounds promising.

#4491....

Posted : 16/05/2009 7:58 am
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Ow. My head. I have things to do today. My head does not like this one bit.

The record deal is very real. The reason for my couching it in such tentative terms is that I know that to become part of that project I'll have to (a) play well, (b) play the kind of thing they think works, and (c) get along with them well, in no particular order. So I'm not treating it as a dead cert until such a time as it becomes so. Either way, the opportunity to try out for something like that is awesome, and very encouraging (I desperately need to practice more).

The music was sweet, an the people I met were, on the whole, very nice. This has me stoked above all else. The chance to go to more gigs, play some of them, and jam with very accomplished musicians (about half the audience at the second gig were sound engineers and session musicians) means I should have a great social life and the opportunity and incentive to further my own playing and learn more. And as doubtful as I am about my singing ability, anything I can do to improve that would be truly amazing, so I'm looking forward to getting stuck in!

Now, I have things to do. Urgent and major things. And my head still hurts.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 16/05/2009 8:25 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like a very exciting opportunity for you Sara. I'm sure you'll do well. :D

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 16/05/2009 11:35 am
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Great news! :D

The singing thing is especially exciting. No matter how good the other musicians are it's almost always the singer who gets the most attention. I can think of any band and it's always the singers name that I remember first - in fact it's usually the only name I can recall at all...

All the best with what sounds like an exciting opportunity all round.

Cheers,

Chris

Posted : 16/05/2009 10:40 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hmm, I missed this post till now for some reason.....

Although you did mention it yesterday at the jam - the singing teacher, I mean. I hope you go through with it - you're a pretty decent guitarist, IMO, and I should know 'cos I've played with you twice!

Funny - I've always hated the sound of my own voice. Remember when you got that first cassette recorder, put a tape in, plugged the mic in and spoke into it for the first time? My immediate reaction to hearing my recorded voice for the first time was something like, "OH, ****, do I really sound like that?" Whiny, nasal....it put me off singing for years and years. Made me very self-conscious about the way I spoke, too. I finally realised, well, there's nothing I can do about it - so I learned to live with it. Over the years my range has narrowed, but the tone of my voice has improved for all the wrong reasons - beer, whisky, cigarettes, hanging around in smoky bars, etc. I still don't like to listen to my own voice, but at least these days, thanks to Audacity and the wonders of multi-tracking, I can play around with it and make it sound a little better when recording, if not at source.

But the main thing I've learned is not to be self-conscious - no matter how bad a singer you are, there's always someone worse who's going to be first up to grab that karaoke mic. Or worse, end up on "Britain's Got Talent" (has there ever been a better illustration of the word "oxymoron?") or the X-Factor (OK, there HAS been a better illustration of the word "oxymoron!")

Like I said, I still don't like the sound of my own voice - and it's a constant source of surprise to me that, whenever I post a new recording, someone actually posts a favourable comment on my singing. These days, I've listened to so many bad karaoke singers (most of 'em on Pop Idol, the X-Factor, BGT etc, etc, etc...) I just don't care anymore - so I'll just let rip.

If you learn to sing half as well as you play guitar, you'll be pretty good!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 18/05/2009 10:02 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Wow - I missed this altogether. We were too busy jamming!

As I noted previously, you definitely play solid guitar, both rhythm and lead and in-between, and you play your best when you've had a chance to work with a song a few times. I used to say that I had figured out a song by the third verse... It sounds like this setting will be perfect for you.

Go for it! Best of luck.

Posted : 19/05/2009 8:34 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

just got back from camping in the north woods.
scrybe: sounds exciting. keep your cool then wait to see if this recording thing happens.
in the meantime, keep up your playing.
singing. it is worth the try. you may surprise yourself in a good way.
singing and playing together is all together different than just playing.
the experience will be worth it.
8) give it a try.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 22/05/2009 7:54 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Sounds cool! Go for it!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 23/05/2009 4:22 am
(@singingonline123)
Eminent Member

It seems like you have a lot of thoughts about them, you have to clear things out don't just say "maybe".

Posted : 29/05/2009 5:17 am