Skip to content
GN 2009 Jam At Scry...

Notifications
Clear all

GN 2009 Jam At Scrybes (Report) - Now with Pix!

56 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

This is the second year we GN members have convened at mine for some music making. Jamming at mine is a cunning little plan, since it means I get to make the first post on this while everyone else is traveling back home*.

My other cunning little plan was horribly foiled by that strange phenomenon commonly known as "having things to do." That cunning plan entailed running through my practice session directly before everyone turned up, so I'd be limber and relaxed and ready to groove. But I had to check my guitar's intonation. And tidy up. Curse tidying up. As it was, I was very rusty on the first few songs, but I got into it as the afternoon progressed. Heck, I'd have been happy to play all night.

Last year, this jam involved myself, Vic Lewis, Dan (Laz), and Laura (Babydoclaz). This year we were joined by DanandLaura's duaghter, Jacqui/Jackie/insert correct spelling here (gawd, why didn't I bother to check the spelling earlier?), on saxophone. I don't know what kind of jams you guys go to, but for me having a saxophonist present is a pretty rare and delightful thing. Today was made even better by the fact that she was really very talented and should perhaps have taken more solos than we had time for. Hopefully next year...

Another change from last year was my not-so-new-now Blues Jr. amp, meaning Dan could run his bass through my JTM 45, while I played the Tele through the Blues Jr., adding a different dimension to last year's three acoustic guitars. I gave several perfect demonstrations of basic electric guitar playing errors, like forgetting to turn up louder at the start of a solo, or (as happened in an impromptu Hey Joe jam) playing the solo nicely loud and driven, then forgetting to turn down, so my first chord after the solo drowned everyone else out. Sufficed it to say that I caused myself to collapse with laughter numerous times by doing silly stuff like this, and I think it amused everyone else, too.

We started off with an easy well-known number that I'm sure everyone on here would recognise instantly. It's called Sapphire**. We also did a number of other GN and GN-related tunes, something which I thoroughly enjoy. I have to say that I think Waiting For Nancy is probably my favourite to play out of those I've tried so far, but it's all great fun!

We threw in the occasional chart song, too. Obviously, Hey Joe got played, but we also did (Call It) Stormy Monday, Summertime (beautiful sax playing on that, I proposed it despite being utterly unfamiliar with the chord changes...), Angel From Montgomery, The Weight, Moondance, and a fair few others.

Vic even showed us the intro to Substitute by The Who. And his acoustic playing has really come on since last year, so I'm looking forward to hearing how good he is next year. There will be a next year, right Laura?

I did learn that on some songs, having a drummer would really improve tightness. But it was a relaxed affair, and it wasn't like anyone was recording it or anything. Oh heck, Vic did! He recorded us all playing The Weight (fortunately the final song, so I was playing a little better by then, but I'm sure there's still a duff note or seven in there..). Jacqui*** also took lots of photographs of us, so I'm sure they will be added to this thread in due time.

It being our second year, perhaps "trend" or "ritual" are too strong, but it does seem to be standard practice for something to get left behind. Last year it was Dan's lead. This year, it was almost Vic's camera. But something else of Vics got left behind instead.

All in all, it was a wonderfully fun and chill day. Hopefully to be repeated next year, and before that in a couple of weeks from now (Vic and Yashicamat are signed up, anyone else in the NW you know where to PM). I think it's wonderful that we've managed to get an annual jam going involving GN members from the UK and US and, while it may not be quite as extravagant as the Riverside jams just yet, I'm stoked to be part of it!

Okay, I'm gonna stop here, lest that train go quicker than I think it will and I end up not making the first post on this.

Roll on Philly 2010!!!

* What? They have the pictures! And the video footage! I just have words...

** If you don't know it, check your copy of Songs and Sandwiches. I know you have a copy...and if you don't, well, you should. Go away and buy one now, and don't read any more of this until you have.

*** Who shall be named Jacqui until such a time as the spelling has been verified.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 17/05/2009 5:27 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I got in a while back - about 7.50 or so. Fortunately, the film of us doing "The Weight" is OK - but the battery was as flat as the proverbial pancake, so I've had to recharge it so's I can upload said piece of film. It's currently uploading to youtube - I'll post a link as soon as it's finished, seems to be taking forever.
But something else of Vics got left behind instead.

Ummm.....OK.....darned if I can think what I left, unless it was one of my two remaining brain cells. Got my guitar, got my camera, plecs, RSJ songbook, CD, capo, phone.....gimme a clue?

OK, video now uploaded......The Weight

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 17/05/2009 7:34 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I can't play the video :cry:

It doesn't support iPhone, whatever that means...

As for the item left behind, see the thread on missing tuners in Opinions and Polls...

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

Posted : 17/05/2009 8:01 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Cool!
Great job everyone.
:)

Don

Posted : 17/05/2009 8:15 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

As for the item left behind, see the thread on missing tuners in Opinions and Polls...

)(*(&&^%$$£!$£*^$!^((*^££$%^&*())(&%$£$^())(&^%$""£$%$£()%$""£$%^&*^$"^&^%$"""£$%^&*&^$£"!%^&&^%$%^&**^%$£""%&()_)(&^%$£"%%%$£""£$^%$$%^&**(*&^$£"£$%^&***&%$$$%^&&^^&*(**&^%$£""!"""£$%$££$%^^^%$$!!^&**^$£!!"£%^&&)(*(&&^%$$£!$£*^$!^((*^££$%^&*())(&%$£$^())(&^%$""£$%$£()%$""£$%^&*^$"^&^%$"""£$%^&*&^$£"!%^&&^%$%^&**^%$£""%&()_)(&^%$£"%%%$£""£$^%$$%^&**(*&^$£"£$%^&***&%$$$%^&&^^&*(**&^%$£""!"""£$%$££$%^^^%$$!!^&**^$£!!"£%^&&)(*(&&^%$$£!$£*^$!^((*^££$%^&*())(&%$£$^())(&^%$""£$%$£()%$""£$%^&*^$"^&^%$"""£$%^&*&^$£"!%^&&^%$%^&**^%$£""%&()_)(&^%$£"%%%$£""£$^%$$%^&**(*&^$£"£$%^&***&%$$$%^&&^^&*(**&^%$£""!"""£$%$££$%^^^%$$!!^&**^$£!!"£%^&&)(*(&&^%$$£!$£*^$!^((*^££$%^&*())(&%$£$^())(&^%$""£$%$£()%$""£$%^&*^$"^&^%$"""£$%^&*&^$£"!%^&&^%$%^&**^%$£""%&()_)(&^%$£"%%%$£""£$^%$$%^&**(*&^$£"£$%^&***&%$$$%^&&^^&*(**&^%$£""!"""£$%$££$%^^^%$$!!^&**^$£!!"£%^&&)(*(&&^%$$£!$£*^$!^((*^££$%^&*())(&%$£$^())(&^%$""£$%$£()%$""£$%^&*^$"^&^%$"""£$%^&*&^$£"!%^&&^%$%^&**^%$£""%&()_)(&^%$£"%%%$£""£$^%$$%^&**(*&^$£"£$%^&***&%$$$%^&&^^&*(**&^%$£""!"""£$%$££$%^^^%$$!!^&**^$£!!"£%^&&)(*(&&^%$$£!$£*^$!^((*^££$%^&*())(&%$£$^())(&^%$""£$%$£()%$""£$%^&*^$"^&^%$"""£$%^&*&^$£"!%^&&^%$%^&**^%$£""%&()_)(&^%$£"%%%$£""£$^%$$%^&**(*&^$£"£$%^&***&%$$$%^&&^^&*(**&^%$£""!"""£$%$££$%^^^%$$!!^&**^$£!!"£%^&&)(*(&&^%$$£!$£*^$!^((*^££$%^&*())(&%$£$^())(&^%$""£$%$£()%$""£$%^&*^$"^&^%$"""£$%^&*&^$£"!%^&&^%$%^&**^%$£""%&()_)(&^%$£"%%%$£""£$^%$$%^&**(*&^$£"£$%^&***&%$$$%^&&^^&*(**&^%$£""!"""£$%$££$%^^^%$$!!^&**^$£!!"£%^&&)(*(&&^%$$£!$£*^$!^((*^££$%^&*())(&%$£$^())(&^%$""£$%$£()%$""£$%^&*^$"^&^%$"""£$%^&*&^$£"!%^&&^%$%^&**^%$£""%&()_)(&^%$£"%%%$£""£$^%$$%^&**(*&^$£"£$%^&***&%$$$%^&&^^&*(**&^%$£""!"""£$%$££$%^^^%$$!!^&**^$£!!"£%^&&)(*(&&^%$$£!$£*^$!^((*^££$%^&*())(&%$£$^())(&^%$""£$%$£()%$""£$%^&*^$"^&^%$"""£$%^&*&^$£"!%^&&^%$%^&**^%$£""%&()_)(&^%$£"%%%$£""£$^%$$%^&**(*&^$£"£$%^&***&%$$$%^&&^^&*(**&^%$£""!"""£$%$££$%^^^%$$!!^&**^$£!!"£%^&&)(*(&&^%$$£!$£*^$!^((*^££$%^&*())(&%$£$^())(&^%$""£$%$£()%$""£$%^&*^$"^&^%$"""£$%^&*&^$£"!%^&&^%$%^&**^%$£""%&()_)(&^%$£"%%%$£""£$^%$$%^&**(*&^$£"£$%^&***&%$$$%^&&^^&*(**&^%$£""!"""£$%$££$%^^^%$$!!^&**^$£!!"£%^&&)(*(&&^%$$£!$£*^$!^((*^££$%^&*())(&%$£$^())(&^%$""£$%$£()%$""£$%^&*^$"^&^%$"""£$%^&*&^$£"!%^&&^%$%^&**^%$£""%&()_)(&^%$£"%%%$£""£$^%$$%^&**(*&^$£"£$%^&***&%$$$%^&&^^&*(**&^%$£""!"""£$%$££$%^^^%$$!!^&**^$£!!"£%^&&)(*(&&^%$$£!$£*^$!^((*^££$%^&*())(&%$£$^())(&^%$""£$%$£()%$""£$%^&*^$"^&^%$"""£$%^&*&^$£"!%^&&^%$%^&**^%$£""%&()_)(&^%$£"%%%$£""£$^%$$%^&**(*&^$£"£$%^&***&%$$$%^&&^^&*(**&^%$£""!"""£$%$££$%^^^%$$!!^&**^$£!!"£%^&&

(Content censored by poster....)

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 17/05/2009 8:15 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Nicely done! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 17/05/2009 10:06 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

jammin. 8) sure wish I didn't live on the other side of the pond; that looked like fun.
some nice playing. way to spank the tele , Scrybe. Vic, you laid down solid ry for everyone.
the sax was hitting some sour notes. jammin with a horn player adds another cool layer.
I jam occasionally with a tenor sax player. it's awesome.

well done everyone. thanks for the vid.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 18/05/2009 11:30 am
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Note my subtle an judicious use of the Electro-Harmonics Chord Sheet Pedal around one minute in...

I overplayed some of my lines, and ended up a little high in the mix, but it was great fun and some of my lines were sweet (if I'm allowed to say that!). I knew the song but that's only the second time I've ever played it! Would have been nice if the vocal and bass had been a little louder, but I'm glad we got it down, imperfections and all.

Thanks for the props guys!

(I can access the video now!!!)

Oh, and if I recall correctly, Jacqui didn't have a chord sheet to read off for this one, which goes some way to explaining the sour notes.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

Posted : 18/05/2009 12:39 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Vic, you laid down solid ry for everyone.

Thank you for those kind words! That's my job, that's what I do....but jamming with a rock-solid bass player (take a bow, Dan!) makes rhythm guitar simple - all I was doing was following Dan's bass lines. That's probably why Laura's such a steady rhythm player too - I suppose it does help when you practise together constantly. It's cool jamming with Scrybe, too - she's a really good guitarist, rhythm or lead, and doesn't overplay - I thought the lead lines were spot on. It's a pity we didn't record Summertime, or something else where Jacqui was more prominent....she definitely added another dimension. Wish I could have played an instrument so well when I was so young.

I think with any jam session, by definition, you're not going to get the perfect sound - there's going to be issues with the mix, and we didn't even have mics - but there were definitely times yesterday when we were cooking. I enjoyed myself immensely - I've worked hard on my playing this last year and I think it showed.

Anyway, Scrybe, thanks for hosting - I had a great time. Got the taste for jamming again - I've been bitten by the bug! I need more!!!

Vic

Posted : 18/05/2009 1:10 pm
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Cool 8)

Norway next year?

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

Posted : 18/05/2009 3:12 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Playing with cold hands?!?

Only if we do some Albert Collins Ice Cool sorta stuff :wink:

I'm sure something could be arranged. And I've not been to Oslo for a few years, so it'd be nice to revisit...

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

Posted : 18/05/2009 3:15 pm
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Well, actually we have two winters in Norway - a white one and a green one. The green one is the worst, 'cause then the heating in our houses is turned off ;)

Let me know if you come here again! I have plenty of guitars (and a part time spare bed room)

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

Posted : 18/05/2009 3:44 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Well, if I've been offered a place to rest my head, I might just have to schedule a little holiday for either this summer or next! :D

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

Posted : 18/05/2009 3:49 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Sweet! Must have been some kind of fun. 8) 8)

Scrybe, no fair showing off the power of a youngster's eye-sight. Following the chord chart from the floor whilest standing? I'm jealous.

Mr Vic, your vocals stood out quite well. Never a bad voice I thought, but seems like it was money this time.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 18/05/2009 6:53 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Scrybe, no fair showing off the power of a youngster's eye-sight. Following the chord chart from the floor whilest standing? I'm jealous.

You could tell I was following the chord sheet?!? Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!! I must be getting good! :lol: :wink:

I'll confess to having watched this a bunch of times now. :oops: I may hate the sound of my voice, but I lurve the sound of my guitar! Heh heh, I have to get recording, and quick.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

Posted : 18/05/2009 11:02 pm
Page 1 / 4