Clear all

Blog about Jennifer Hudson's Super Bowl Performance

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thought I'd send this like here, it's an interesting article about Lip Syncing live performances and Jennifer Hudson's "comeback" at the Super Bowl after her family tragedy last year.

http://www.perbristow.com/super-bowl-jennifer-hudson-and-bruce-springsteen/#more-150

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 05/02/2009 4:25 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

She lip synched that performance?!?
That's not right - I want my money back!

However, the synching of the flyover was kewl . . .

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 05/02/2009 2:15 pm
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Reading the article got me thinking of some past work experiences of my own.

I was working as Sous Chef for a Deli/Catering operation and there were
two things the owner liked to stress.

#1 If we had a "special" client he would give a talk about how we
had to do are best.

Fine,but shouldn't we always do our best or is it OK to slack the
rest of the time?

#2 We must "LOOK" professional.

To which I would usually respond with:

"Wouldn't it be easier if we just "WERE" professional?"

I think that Lip Syncing puts empathizes on the "LOOKING" professional
side of things.

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 05/02/2009 2:16 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I watched it and a couple of times thought she might have been lip synching. There were just a couple of points where she started a split second too late, but I thought it could just be a delay between video and audio. Guess she was faking it.
And it is still exciting even if the mic goes out, or the accompanist starts in the wrong key, or we crack on the high note. In fact, as long as we have a sense of humor about it – i.e. no fear – it might make the performance greater than it ever could have been.

One of the reasons I love Pearl Jam so much is that they release all their shows as albums and they don't worry about "fixing" them. I have a bunch of bootlegs and there are several instances where Eddie forgets lyrics and sings the wrong verse or just screws up. I'd rather hear a real performance with mistakes than a perfect fake performance any day.

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 05/02/2009 4:46 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Oh my - and Springsteen had to stick to his pre-set song list, and couldn't run over.

Face it, the Superbowl is a unique event, and it needs to be both live and perfect. Whitney Houston lip-synced her version as well - and it completely redefined how the National Anthem could be sung.

At least they did their own recording in the first place. Remember the Beijing Olympics where they replaced the original girl who sang the song with another that was "cuter".

Posted : 05/02/2009 8:35 pm
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

I think lip syncing is just horrible and a waste of a performance. If this were 20 years ago people would be freaking out and it would make headlines everywhere. Didn't one of the guys from Milli Vanilli kill himself, it completely ruined those guys lives and now it is just standard practice.

Posted : 11/02/2009 11:27 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

To be fair, the guys in Milli Vanilli never sang the songs. They were hired for their image. Someone, who apparently didn't have the right looks, sang the songs. Jennifer Hudson actually sang the anthem, it was just pre-recorded.

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 12/02/2009 12:06 am