Clear all

Clapton's New Chicago Guitar Festival on PBS this week

15 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@specialsof)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Just a heads up to everyone to get their VCR's or DVD-RW ready this week for some serious guitar playing.

PBS will be broadcasting the recently recorded Eric Clapton (and buddies )Crossroads Concert in Chicago on its Great Performances series. I think this even took place in July 2007. Here in North Carolina, it will be broadcast at 9pm Eastern on PBS and last till 11pm. By the way, Johnny Cash will be in a different special at 8pm on PBS here in NC with a lot of rock groups from the 60's.

My experience is they don't repeat these Great Performances series very often, so if you miss it it could be months or even years before they repeat it.

Check out this link for this week for PBS on this:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/

The site said:
"Eric Clapton headlines a concert in Chicago's Toyota Park to benefit the Crossroads Centre at Antigua, a substance-abuse treatment and education facility. The lineup includes B.B. King, Willie Nelson, Sheryl Crow, John Mayer, Jeff Beck and Buddy Guy."

Posted : 26/11/2007 7:12 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Thanks for the heads up. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 26/11/2007 10:38 pm
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Thanks for the heads up. 8)

Dan

Yeah What he said !

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 27/11/2007 1:26 am
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Thanks for the head's up! Perfect timing as I have to watch a concert on PBS for my music appreciation class.

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 27/11/2007 2:54 pm
(@specialsof)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Can't imagine a better music appreciation than this. Glad you saw the post.

Posted : 27/11/2007 6:18 pm
(@shadowraptor)
Trusted Member

Hey Guys and Gals ...

I have this concert on an official "Emmy Consideration" DVD. If you missed it and need a copy (NTSC on DVD-R), let me know.

[email protected]

Have a safe and pleasant day.

Rob
Canada

Yamaha FG-730S
Crafter GAE45/N
Beaver Creek BCR8501
Yamaha CG-? (91)
Yamaha CG-171SF
Framus Texan 5/296 12-String
Takamini EG-345C 12-String
Indiana IN-BM5 Mandolin
M-Audio Oxygen 49 Keyboard

Posted : 28/11/2007 3:46 pm
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Looking forward to it - it was a great show. We'll probably even be in it - I was about 20 feet from the stage :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

Posted : 28/11/2007 5:06 pm
(@specialsof)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Looking forward to it - it was a great show. We'll probably even be in it - I was about 20 feet from the stage :)

Really? Just curious, how long was the actual festival?

Posted : 28/11/2007 7:01 pm
(@specialsof)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hey Guys and Gals ...

I have this concert on an official "Emmy Consideration" DVD. If you missed it and need a copy (NTSC on DVD-R), let me know.

[email protected]
Will this be what is shown tonight on PBS? If so, I would like to get a copy in DVD format if I can.

Posted : 28/11/2007 7:02 pm
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Well it didn't run straight through - there were a couple of long breaks (the longest was right before Buddy Guy). Total was about 11 hours, with probably 8-9 hours of music and/or Bill Murray :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

Posted : 28/11/2007 9:20 pm
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Here in Oregon, they're using this 'show' as a way to do a fund drive.

Its irritating, cuz they always use these concert shows to do these telethons...it sucks!! I wish just once we could see a show for a whole hour. :roll: :roll:

Oh-well..its Public TV. The show looks fabulous so far!! All those greats on one stage at the same time is awesome.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

Posted : 29/11/2007 3:37 am
(@specialsof)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I couldn't believe it, they also used the Concert in North Carolina as part of a fund drive, and seemed to me to actually cut out some footage as they went to the fund rasing. It was suppose to be from 9pm till 11pm according to the published schedule, but in reality the big part of the show with Clapton didn't start till 11pm till 11:30pm. Was a good show, just to many crazy commercials - real dissapointing to see they used the Performance series for this.

Posted : 29/11/2007 12:31 pm
(@shadowraptor)
Trusted Member

The DVD I have is highlights from a concert he did in Dallas in 2004. It is produced by PBS (thirteen WNET New York), and includes Carlos Santana, Joe Walsh (yay!), J. J. Cale, Robert Cray, Buddy Guy, B. B. King (yay!), Hubert Sumlin, Jimmy Vaughn, John McLaughlin, James Taylor, Vince Gill, Dan Tyminski and John Mayer (yay!).

I will post a trt when I have figured it out.

Rob
Canada

Yamaha FG-730S
Crafter GAE45/N
Beaver Creek BCR8501
Yamaha CG-? (91)
Yamaha CG-171SF
Indiana IN-BM5 Mandolin

Posted : 29/11/2007 2:21 pm
(@shadowraptor)
Trusted Member

1:56:47

Rob
Canada

Yamaha FG-730S
Crafter GAE45/N
Beaver Creek BCR8501
Yamaha CG-? (91)
Yamaha CG-171SF
Indiana IN-BM5 Mandolin

Posted : 29/11/2007 2:25 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I'll probably get bashed for this but I watched about a half hour of this, got very bored and watched Kitchen Nightmares instead. There was nothing on there that did much for me.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 29/11/2007 3:46 pm