Clear all

DD Experience Gig this Friday

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter

My band, the Double D Experience will be playing at a new Local Coffee shop. These guys just moved in, and are looking to bring in the local student croud. They asked us to play this friday for them, and if we get enough people to come in then they will make us the house band, with regular shows. Were really looking forward to this.

Heres our Lineup -
Play Crack the Sky - Brand New
Snow Day - The Honorary Title
An Original
American Pie - Don Mclean
Dilute - The Honorary Title
An Original
Doesn't Remind Me - Audioslave
Marcus has some Dashboard Confessional he's going to play, all I have to remember are my scales for lead
An Original

Were plannin on having a break at half-way point, in which my girlfriend is going to play an original or two while we get our free coffee and rest our hand and voices.

Question: Is it alright to have a music stand to help you get through songs? We were only told about this gig a week ago, and with the marking period ending the other day we've been hammered hard on homework. We havn't had time to memorize lyrics for songs like American Pie and Doesn't Remind Me.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

Posted : 02/04/2007 10:30 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

You go, Duff!!!

I hope you get some visual proof :wink: :wink: for us to enjoy. Audio would work, too.

In my opinion is it okay to bring music stands.

Have fun, entertain the crowd and clear the calendar. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 03/04/2007 12:01 am
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Let us know how it goes. Love reading gig reports...

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 04/04/2007 7:20 pm
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Hey Duff,

good luck for Friday. I think it's fine to have a stand up there with you although you will probably find that you dont even look at it. If you have one that's the same colour of as the mic stand it's hardly even noticable.

cheers

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

Posted : 04/04/2007 8:39 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member

So what were the results??? :?:

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 25/04/2007 11:48 pm
(@rocker)
Noble Member

knock em dead duff 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

Posted : 26/04/2007 2:55 am
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I've been really busy the last month, but the gig, besides my buddy marcus having trouble singing American Pie (Which was a sing along so no-one noticed), the whole thing went great. We had around 60 people crammed into this coffee shop. Our setup ended up being the following; Our two acoustics plugged into my behringer gmx212 and my epi valve special, and our mics plugged into two low watt no-name solid states we had. Actually worked really good. This gig we borrowed our schools bass amp for marcus's guitar, and used my epi for vocal. It was a little better than the last time, not much of a difference. We had a second gig the 27th, with slightly different set list. Less people were there because apperantly some punk band also had a show that day. We still brought in about 30 students. I remember reading a post about how clubs and cafe's will rip you off, promise you money and stuff and not put out. On the first night MochaBlend put in like 10 bucks into our tip jar, and we came out of there with 25 bucks each after splitting. Last friday they didn't put anything in. This angered Marcus and I because we really wanted another week or two to write more originals, yet they begged us to come. So we advertised, brought people, and those people bought drinks and pinini's, yet they didn't help out. You would think if they beg you to come, they should show a bit more gratitude. But I guess when you love to play thats more important anyways.

Marcus and I were going to record an EP of sorts, with around 6-8 songs, all originals, and tee-shirts, so we can hopefully make some more money at our next couple of gigs to help pay for expenses, like gasoline, strings, picks, etc.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

Posted : 30/04/2007 9:17 pm
(@rocker)
Noble Member

sorry they didn't pay very well duff, but its a long way to the top if you wanna rock-n-roll , hang in there :wink:

even god loves rock-n-roll

Posted : 01/05/2007 2:33 am