Clear all

Drat! rained out!

15 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

My band Burnfoot Dazzle (the Dazz for short) had an outdoor gig scheduled today, but because of tropical storm Hanna it was called off. The storm is due to pass right over us tonight, expecting 2-4 inches of rain or more, and gusts up to 50 MPH down on the coast. I live up in the hills, so the wind shouldn't be too bad. The storm is moving in as I write this.

I was really looking forward to this gig, we have practiced very hard and cleaned up lots of our songs, plus added quite a few new ones. After listening to the recording of our last gig we knew we had to tighten up the vocals big time. We are not perfect yet, but a huge improvement. So I was really looking forward to this performance. Plus, we were getting paid for this gig. :(

Oh well, at least I can come here. Plus, I have some songsheets to write and mail to the guys, now I have plenty of time. :D

I like indoor gigs better. :roll:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 06/09/2008 7:47 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

That's a drag Wes. It's always ify when doing outdoor gigs. The last time my old band was scheduled to play an outdoor gig, the weather was perfect right up until a half hour before our time, and then a hudge storm rolled in out of nowere & rained us out. I agree, indoor gigs are best! :wink:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 06/09/2008 9:07 pm
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Don't that just stink! Don't wanna jinx ya but thats how my luck has gone the last 30 days. Well at least you got those songs cleaned up :lol:

Posted : 06/09/2008 10:06 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Seem to remember you posted some photos recently of a party gig where it rained a lot as well - you were under canvas, if I recall. It's your own fault Wes, you're such a nice guy even the clouds love you and want to be near you and share their life-giving rain with you!

But seriously - must be a pain, working yourself up towards a goal like that then having it taken away at the last minute through no fault of your own. My sympathies, and I hope you get better luck next time out!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 06/09/2008 10:15 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I wish we'd get that 2 inches of rain here. Wouldn't fuss too much about 4. We've gotten a sprinkle.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 06/09/2008 11:08 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

that sounds like a real bummer! hope you hadnt spent time setting up as well?

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 06/09/2008 11:23 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Vic

Yeah, our last outdoor gig it rained. I was glad to do it then, but I didn't want to do it again. Electricity and water is not a real good combination. And it is difficult to play well when the air is so damp, usually my hands are very dry and move over the neck effortlessly, but at that gig my hands were sticking to the neck and fingerboard. And I like to play for a big crowd, we did alright last time, but I know we would have had more if the weather had been nice.

Ricochet

I am not complaining about the rain, I just wanted to play. We have had a strange year up here, the summer was one of the wettest, especially July, it rained almost everyday. But August we hardly had any rain. I can't believe I'm sayin' this, but I actually got tired of so many perfect sunny days and wanted some rain.

Almann1979

No, we didn't set up. Fortunately they called off the gig early this morning and let us know. We were gonna go over to Keith's house (drummer) at 2 PM and get our stuff. The gig was only 15 minutes from his house. We were supposed to play from about 4-9 PM. Our stuff is still set up in Keith's basement, I leave everything but my guitar, for practice I just walk in, plug the cord into my guitar, fire my amp up and I'm ready to go. So, it's still like that.

Who knows? Maybe they will want us next Saturday? I really don't know the folks, they saw us at the last gig and called Mark our bassist and set the whole thing up. It was a neighborhood block party.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 07/09/2008 12:30 am
(@blueline)
Noble Member

I"m sure they'll ask you back. They had to reschedule the party anway right? BTW, its coming down in buckets here.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 07/09/2008 1:04 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I saw the doppler, you guys got pounded it appears! :shock:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 07/09/2008 3:50 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'm sorry Hanna spoiled your gig. Hopefully, it'll get re-scheduled.

We had 4-5 inches down here, depending on who measured it. There's some localized flooding, but the "eye" or center of the storm went to our east and missed us by about an hour.....again. That's happened quite a bit. Still though, have they ripped through us this quick before? Quite interesting to watch. I went to bed and the eye had not even hit land 3 hours south of us yet, and woke up to find it had blown on by and it was supposed to be sunny in a couple of hours. I slept right through it. All's I know is that 5 inches of rain in 10 hours is a lot better than 10 inches in 5 hours.

I've been more concerned about those poor people that get nailed by Ike this coming week. Let's hope they don't get tore up badly.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 07/09/2008 12:12 pm
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

I had three outdoor gigs this summer, and lucked out with beautiful weather for all of them. I like the outdoor festivals, as I think you get people to listen that wouldn't normally go to a bar for music.
My sister and Nephew live in Pensacola, and they are really getting tired of the storms. Seems like they're always cleaning up after something. We had a very wet June, but a very dry July and August here in the midwest.

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

Posted : 07/09/2008 2:05 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

.....and in the UK, figures have been released stating it's officially the wettest summer for almost 200 years. Quite a feat, when you consider last year some towns were 6ft under water - this year, instead of one heavy concentrated barrage, we've had nothing but persistent rain. Day after day after day.

Ah well - here's hoping for an Indian Summer, although with our luck we'll probably get a monsoon!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 07/09/2008 10:40 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

We've had a long, serious drought, with subnormal rainfall for several years. There's still water in my little backyard stream, but it's down. A patient from Southwest Virginia told me the other day her well's gone dry. When I buried my kitty the other day, we'd just had a considerable rainfall from the remnants of the tropical storm that had hit the Gulf Coast. Faye, I think it was. I'd seen water running like a creek down the street the day before. But the soil was only moist 2-3" down; below that it was hard, dry and dusty.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 07/09/2008 11:33 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

More rain than normal here this summer in the great white north. We usually have very dry dusty summers, not this year. It was like Florida only not as hot. Seemed we had rain every day sometime in the late afternoon. It would start out sunny and get warmer and warmer til it clouded up and rained. Only thing I really didn't like about it is the grass grew like crazy. Bad for the farmers but good too. They couldn't get the hay cut and dried but the grass was flourishing. The corn is as tall as I've ever seen it. I don't think I could even touch the top of the stuff across the road from my house.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 08/09/2008 12:44 am
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

I saw the doppler, you guys got pounded it appears! :shock:
Well you'ed be wrong in NC we got about 3 6/10" of rain and we got a little wind nothing major.

Wes sorry hear about geting rained out. :(

Posted : 08/09/2008 10:27 am