Skip to content
I see we have some ...

Notifications
Clear all

I see we have some creepy new friends....

12 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

on the "who's online" list....

Registered users: Baidu [Spider], boxboy, Chris C, gnease, Google [Bot], Heritrix [Crawler], Morpheus, rcsnydley#1, Vic Lewis VL, Yahoo [Bot]

A spider? A crawler? Is this a bug infestation, or something even more sinister? Anyone care to enlighten me as to what these terms actually mean?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 05/09/2008 12:21 am
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

Never fear, those are bots from search engines that gather information from the forums here. Or something like that, anyway.
No real bugs so no worries. :)
If they were real spiders, I would have a serious problem.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

Posted : 05/09/2008 12:50 am
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

They crawl through the web archiving and indexing info as they find it. Depending on the company it's then either used directly or, for example with google, send to people that check the info and rate it for importance and relevance.

Posted : 05/09/2008 9:42 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

You were speaking of the search engines, right?

Posted : 05/09/2008 9:56 am
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

I wonder if any of the search companies have humour enough to call their spider Shelob :lol:

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

Posted : 05/09/2008 10:00 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Or Charlotte.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 05/09/2008 4:58 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I wonder if any of the search companies have humour enough to call their spider Shelob :lol:
. . or the crawly things could be their Smeagols (Gollums).

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 05/09/2008 7:31 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Friend of mine had a pet spider he called Boris. Until he found out it was actually a female.....so he called it Alanis instead. When I asked him why, he said, "well, it's not a Boris, it's a Borisette....."

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 05/09/2008 8:19 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Friend of mine had a pet spider he called Boris. Until he found out it was actually a female.....so he called it Alanis instead. When I asked him why, he said, "well, it's not a Boris, it's a Borisette....."
ROFLMAO!

Posted : 05/09/2008 8:58 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I hear they thrive on RAID drives. :lol:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 05/09/2008 9:07 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Maybe they'll keep the bugs cleared out...

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 05/09/2008 11:52 pm
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Registered users: Baidu [Spider], boxboy, Chris C, gnease, Google [Bot], Heritrix [Crawler], Morpheus, rcsnydley#1, Vic Lewis VL, Yahoo [Bot]

Vic

Well, I rather like spiders - splendid creatures. The bit that I find slightly creepy is seeing myself described as a "Registered User"... :shock: ... Nope, never touch the stuff. And I've only got two hairy legs not eight. I will admit to having a fairly tangled web though...

Chris

Posted : 06/09/2008 8:14 am