13 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Uff! We have an earthquake this morning! :shock:

It was of 5.1 on the Richter scale and the epicenter was to 200 km the south of Madrid, in a small village in the Ciudad Real province. There aren't damages.

I don't know if you have similar experiences. It was my first one. It is very strange because you feel all is moving around you and you can not do anything. Just a couple of seconds. I was in the bed and I felt how it is moving, also the blind in the window, the lights... and a pile of around 300 CDs over my head! Fortunately they were only the classical music collection.

When it finished, then it started a new movement: my legs was shaking! :(

http://www.larazon.es/noticias/noti_nac30804.htm

Posted : 12/08/2007 1:34 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I've never been in a big one, but the little one that woke me one night was bad enough.

Funny side story, the college student who was monitoring the activity forgot to check the paper in the machine, so the experts had little to study afterwards.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 12/08/2007 2:45 pm
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

Never had an earthquake in Luton.

Glad everything's OK!
When it finished, then it started a new movement: my legs was shaking!

you should have grabbed your guitar and played some Elvis songs while it lasted, get those legs moving! :lol: :lol:

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

Posted : 12/08/2007 3:30 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

We've had 2 pretty moderate ones and I slept through both!
Glad to hear all is well after the shock, Nuno!
:)

Don

Posted : 12/08/2007 3:40 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter

you should have grabbed your guitar and played some Elvis songs while it lasted, get those legs moving! :lol: :lol:
LOL!

I can not imagine how will be a big one or even a similar to this small movement but nearest to the epicenter. According to the TV and radio, we have more than 1000 per year! But only four or five achieve an intensity to be perceived. :shock:

Pete, is there some room for me and my guitars in Luton? :lol:

Thanks everybody!

Posted : 12/08/2007 3:48 pm
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

Pete, is there some room for me and my guitars in Luton?

Sorry, no spare rooms here for people.......though I'm sure I could find room for a few of your guitars somewhere :wink: :lol: :lol:

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

Posted : 12/08/2007 4:59 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I was in a small earthquake when I lived in California a whole bunch of years ago, but it wasn't anything close to a 5.1!! I'm glad to hear that there were no casualties! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 12/08/2007 5:26 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Pete, is there some room for me and my guitars in Luton?

Sorry, no spare rooms here for people.......though I'm sure I could find room for a few of your guitars somewhere :wink: :lol: :lol:

Pete

Of course, Nuno carries a new Martin hidden somewhere in his house...

I have experienced some eqs as well. The biggest one was that came on Jan 26, 2001. It came in Gujarat which is 1000 kms and more from my place. Yet I could feel the divan shaking and doors sliding a little.

Here's more to the quake - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Gujarat_earthquake

Posted : 12/08/2007 5:29 pm
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

Wow! It's really rare to have an earthquake in Madrid!...well as you know we are completely accustomed to them in Peru, since this is a sismic zone. Maybe you will feel other similar trembles, but don't panic, the first one is the baddest.
Peace.

Posted : 12/08/2007 7:10 pm
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Nuno,
When it finished, then it started a new movement: my legs was shaking!
I know exactly where you are coming from.

Where I live (right on the fault line) earthquakes are quite common, in fact there is generally 1 every day, but because they are quite small they go unnoticed, but a few times a year you get one that is over 4 on the scale. You never really overcome that fear that this one could be the "big one" although you do learn to live with them. It really is quite an interesting phenomenon, the most animals have better hearing than us and they tend to be aware of one coming before us, they go deathly quiet just before the quake hits.
As part of an SSG assignment a couple of years ago I wrote a song about earthquakes, here's a link.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=328886&songID=2407709
you might relate to the sentiment.

Cheers
Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

Posted : 12/08/2007 8:10 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Glad to hear everything is okay for you Nuno.

Phew!!!! :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 13/08/2007 12:32 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Never been in one myself - we do get earthquakes in the UK, but they're so small they really don't register. Glad to hear everything's OK, Nuno!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 13/08/2007 1:47 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks everybody! :D

It was "the" news yesterday. All the TV's gave info. And yes, it was several minor earthquakes more but they only were perceived in the epicenter zone.

This is a council's web page (sorry, in Spanish) of Pedro Muñoz, the village in which was the epicenter ("Pedro Muñoz" is the name of the village, it was the name of an old important person, sometimes happens here):

http://www.pedro-munoz.com/Un_Terremoto_con_epi.1707.0.html

The village is in the region of La Mancha, where Don Quixote had placed.

Posted : 13/08/2007 1:47 pm