1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Courtesy of Sky News (although they don't know yet):

"'THE ICING ON THE CAKE'
Music legend Eric Clapton has described being honoured with a CBE as the "icing on the cake" of his long career.

The guitarist received the honour for services to music from the Princess Royal at Buckingham Palace.

The 59-year-old said it made him feel as though he had "grown up" and admitted he would have not accepted the honour as a young "rebel".

He said: "As a kid I would not have been able to accept this. I was very immature about the way I looked at that. I was against the establishment.

"Now I have grown up, I really think it is an important thing to be able to set an example of some kind.

"To say 'I did this all my life because I loved it' and to be recognised for that in this part of my life is good. It makes me feel like I have grown up in a way."

Clapton, who was awarded an OBE in 1994, has been feted as an "authentic musical genius".

He first found fame in the 1960s as a member of the Yardbirds, before going on to achieve even greater international acclaim with Cream.

Clapton recorded his most famous song, Layla, under the name of Derek and the Dominos.

He followed it with a string of hugely successful solo albums through the 1970s and 1980s.

His MTV Unplugged album, recorded in 1992, sold 15 million copies worldwide. "

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 03/11/2004 6:18 pm