Clear all

February 21 Guitar Seminar

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@neesah)
Topic starter

Hi!

I have been lurking on these boards for a few months now, really enjoying how well done the site is and how supportive the boards are.

I have recently decided to take the plunge and go to Davids strumming seminar. I am wondering who else is going? I am quite excited about this learning experience.

A bit about me:
I am 47 and have owned a guitar since i was maybe 13. I liked folk music in those days, and tried playing Peter Paul and Mary songs, as well as some others. It is very hard for me, I have to work real hard for a little accomplishment. I learned a few songs, but without a teacher or friends who i could learn from (the only other person i knew with a guitar was a musical whiz, and her fingers flew!!! ...and i always felt so inadequate, i just couldn't play with her), I moved on to other interests.

Since then, i have picked up the guitar here and there, even taking lessons once. He was a great teacher, believing that if you loved the music and could hear it in your head, with work, it would come out your fingers. He inspired me, and i learned three Neil Young songs. This teacher worked the theory and technique learning into the songs. After just a couple months, though, his life changed, and he had to give up his students.

I needed a career change, so i completed my masters degree. Now, education finished, my job stable, my family stable, the guitar calls again. This time, i want to really answer the call!!!!!....

I have relearned what i knew before, plus a little more from hanging out here and i am ready now to move forward. I know a group of people who play neil young and we get together a few times a year. I have always been a spectator, but this year, i want to be up with the musicians. I will be more than satisfied if i can sit in the back with a chord book and strum along and sing. That is my goal for now!

I wonder if anyone else reading this is going to be at the seminar and would like to introduce themselves??

peace,
marilyn
http://scattered-neesah.blogspot.com/

When the music calls, i'll be there....Scattered, NY

"It's like a warning to me. Stay still, Shakey, and you'll
turn to rust and dust. So I keep on moving..." 1988

Posted : 05/02/2004 12:30 pm
(@davidhodge)

As host, I guess I should say that I'm going to be there!

I'm 46 (and a half! if that counts!) and have been playing since I was seventeen. The real fun of playing for me has always been in jamming with other people, regardless of age or style or ability. I think it's going to be a lot of fun meeting everyone and (hopefully) getting people to feel more comfortable with playing and learning lots of new things!

See you there!

Peace

Posted : 05/02/2004 5:26 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Hey Neesah, I'm glad you finally registered so we can know it's you when you post.  Yea, this place is filled with great material.  With your life settled, I bet your guitar came running down the hall toward you!

That will be excellent when the holidays come around and you say "yea, I know that song" and they say "right on, we can use another player."  I bet that will be a blast.  I can second David's opinion of playing with others.  Still, I'll add that I think playing alone in a bedroom or basement is actually pretty boring compared to playing even with one other person.  Music comes alive when you feel off one another.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 05/02/2004 6:10 pm
(@neesah)
Topic starter

i am very much looking forward to playing with others, though right now i feel REAL shy about it. I even hope to meet some folks who don't live too far from me who may want to continue to play now and then!!

peace,
marilyn
http://scattered-neesah.blogspot.com/

When the music calls, i'll be there....Scattered, NY

"It's like a warning to me. Stay still, Shakey, and you'll
turn to rust and dust. So I keep on moving..." 1988

Posted : 06/02/2004 1:52 am
(@samhall)

I'm going on Feb 21. I'm also looking forward to it. I've been hanging around the site for a long time, and learning quite a bit, but I rarely post. I'm also mid-forties, with kids. I've had a small amount of formal instruction, way back in my teens. When I decided to try again, about a year ago, I was surprised at how much I remembered. I hope to use a seminar (or two) to help me decide on hiring a teacher, or to continue to go it alone with the books, websites, etc. I think I'm getting better, but I still know I'm far away. I am having a lot of fun with it, that's for sure. My victories come when the woman that I live with who is related to me through marriage, is able to recognize the song that I am trying to play. I can also judge my failures that way too. Some of her guesses are pretty far off. Must be her ears!
See you Saturday  

Posted : 17/02/2004 2:31 pm