Skip to content
Find a jamming part...

Notifications
Clear all

Find a jamming partner In Sydney Australia..

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@kblake)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

He guys,
I am a 47 y/o new player in Sydney Australia. I have had a dozen or so lessons and I am having a ball.
I like to (attempt) to play Beatles and a bit of blues stuff and at the moment am right into minor pentatonics, I know the five postitions and can play them no problems but putting them together for a nice lead is some what out of my reach at the moment!
What I would like to suggest is a section where we can advertise for like skilled players to get together to jam with. None of my friends play and to tell the truth I think my timing sucks LOL, I play along with some cd's and can keep up with a few and some I can't and from reading here there is apparently nothing like playing with other players to spur you on.
So how about a new section for that?

Or if anyone in Sydney Australia is reading this email me and we can get together.

Cheers
Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

Posted : 09/08/2005 1:42 am
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

GN currently has a section devoted to what you are asked for.

The title is Gig and Jams. If you look under the description (seen below) you'll understand and you can post there to find someone.
Gigs and Jams
Post a message announcing your band's next gig, and then review the show afterwards for those who couldn't make it. You may also use this forum to set up a jam and search for other musicians.

Good luck with your search!

Posted : 09/08/2005 2:09 am
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Hi!
As a matter of fact, I'm going to move your post up to "gigs and jams" and hope you find someone to jam with there!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 09/08/2005 2:45 am
(@kblake)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Maybe I should read more and play less :D

Then againn maybe not !

Posted : 09/08/2005 1:06 pm
(@mushin)
Eminent Member

Hi Keith,

I am a mere novice beginner. - Only started this year... I am based in Wollongong- where abouts in Sydney are you based?

Whats your interest? electric or acoustic? I have both, although have spent more time on the acoustic (electric is a recent addition).

Im 36, haven't tried much of the beatles, but they are part my interest area, along with the usual aussie classic rock (Chisel, Aussie Crawl, etc etc. ) Im into exploring all types of music at the moment (preferrably easier for my current capabilities).

Let me know...we may be able to organise something.

Cheers

Mick

Posted : 23/08/2005 12:51 pm
(@kblake)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

G'day Mick
I stopped having lessons about 3 months ago so as I could digest a lot of the stuff I was being shown (seems the ole grey matter does not retain information like it used too!)
Some songs we did....
basic 12 bar blus progressions
All My Loving
Baby I love Your Way
Big Yellow Taxi
Cocaine
Creeque Alley
Eagle Rock
Echo Beach
Friday On My Mind
I Should Have Known Better
Itchycoo Park
Imagine
Lola ( I love doing this)
Maggie May (another favourite)
Most People I Know (Another beauty & not too hard)
My Sweet Lord (very tough & challenging)
One After 909
Pretty Woman
Turn Up Your Radio (Basic 12 bar & great riff)

Mind you I can't really play any of these ALL the way through but I am having a ball trying and just generally noodling my way around..

I started with an acoustic, I love the sounds of these guitars and it is still my favourite but I also bought an Epiphone speciall II with a Marshall MG15DFX amp (plenty big enough for the bedroom) but the best TOY I have purchased it a Behringer V-AMP 2 (a modelling amp)
http://www.behringer.com/V-AMP2/index.cfm?lang=ENG
click on "Virtual Gear" on the right side of the page for a demo FANTASTIC!

I work 6 days a week so Wollongong is a bit far away BUT I have holidays in 3 weeks maybe I could pop down one day if suited?

Just a tip on playing "newbie to newbie" the best thing (for me anyway) that I got out of my lessons was learning barr chords, It opens up whole new areas of the neck for you and makes some chord changes much easier..

Cheers
Keith

[email protected]

Posted : 23/08/2005 2:01 pm
(@mushin)
Eminent Member

Hi Keith sounds like we can organise something.

I am off to India on Sunday for a few days then have a weekend away planned with the family. getting together in a few weeks sounds like pretty good timing. If its more convenient, I could always come up to sydney for the day?

I currently use a Fender DG8S acoustic (part of the starter pack I bought-) and a Godin SD http://www.haworthguitars.com.au/control/product/~category_id=508/~product_id=sh-godinSD with a Fender GDec modelling amp.

http://fender.com.au/amplification/guitaramps/gdec.shtml

My reportiore is much shorter than the list you have and I too have not got things all the way through as yet, but this sounds like a great opportunity to get together to learn while we have heaps of fun.

I will put together a list of the stuff I have been working on and we can combine into a list to work on. I am on the same page with the genre of music.

Some of the things I have been working on include:

Leaving on a Jet plane (John Denver)

Boys Light Up (Aussie Crawl (good intro to basic Barre chords)

Take It Easy (Eagles)

Rock In the USA (Mellencamp)

Hotel California (Strumming or arpeggio- Eagles- great for the early Barres also)

Every Rose Has its Thorn

American Pie (Very long and still very early days)

Better Be Home Soon (crowded House)

Bad Moon rising (CCR)

Before Too Long (Paul Kelly)

Too Her Door (Paul Kelly)

Home Among the Gum Trees (Challenging bass strum swing rhythm- a favourite with the kids)

Brown Eyed Girl

House of the Rising Sun

Wild Thing (Troggs)

Horse with no name (Thanks Dave Hodge)

Feeling All right ( Thanks Again Dave)

very basic 12 bar blues progressions and not to forget......

Waltzing Matilda

There are a few others I noodle on also.

I don't know any of the above all the way through although most are repeated chord progressions. I haven't tried singing as yet- insurance doesn't really cover it ;)

I have been working on the Barres for a few weeks now and slowly getting there.

Looking forward to working on some stuff together. Sounds like a lot of fun.

You can email me on [email protected]

Cheers

Mick

Posted : 23/08/2005 10:16 pm