First Blackboard Concert of 2007

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I've been a bit quiet over the last couple of weeks with my song writing cos I've been preparing for my latest soirée into the “Live Music” world. Last night was the first Blackboard Concert for 2007 so I thought it would be a good idea to get up there. Start the year off as I mean to continue. For last couple of weeks I've been learning how to play 3 of my songs, of which I'll only do 2, but there's never any harm in having a spare song up you're sleeve. This time around what I found interesting was that I think I was over practising. I just couldn't play the set with out making at least 1 or 2 mistakes. The more I practised the less personal the song became, and I moved from the emotional mode to the analytical mode, not good. So in the last couple of days to the concert I didn't pick up my guitar at all, and only did 2 run throughs of the 2 songs that I had chosen about an hour before the concert. The songs were:
“Lost Boys” (I haven't recorded this yet), “Beautiful People” and “Sixty Children”, I was going to go with “Lost Boys” and “Beautiful People” but I just couldn't play LB without screwing something up, so I went with BP and SC, just goes to show, it's always a good idea to have a contingency plan. Anyway my set went pretty well really, I still screwed one chord change up, but I just kept the rhythm going and continued singing until I got back to the home chord. The comment I got back later was that “yeah there something odd in there but I don't remember what it was”, oh well I know what it was. I found the sound monitors a little bit distracting, and I haven't quite learnt how to fully connect with the audience yet, plenty of looking up, but not quite looking up and still being in “the zone” as yet, still it's early days. Here's some photos:

cheers

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

Posted : 20/02/2007 7:56 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Good for you! Too bad the rest of the band was on break... 8)

And where does this event take place? How do we sign up?

Posted : 22/02/2007 4:39 pm
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Too bad the rest of the band was on break
Ha ha, its funny that you should say that Laz, cos in the 3rd photo that IS the band having a break. Laz I don't know if you passed through the Kapiti Coast on your trip to New Zealand a couple of years back, but Waikanae (try an pronounce that one) is about 50km's north of Wellington (bottom of the North Island). The Kapiti Live Music Club have blackboard concert (about 1 hour) followed by a featured band, once a month. The door takings usually cover the cost of the featured band and we get to use the Bar as a free venue and play in front of a live audience. The Bar owner really supports us by also helping pay for radio adverts and flyers.

Paul

Posted : 22/02/2007 5:56 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Too bad the rest of the band was on break
Ha ha, its funny that you should say that Laz, cos in the 3rd photo that IS the band having a break. Laz I don't know if you passed through the Kapiti Coast on your trip to New Zealand a couple of years back, but Waikanae (try an pronounce that one) is about 50km's north of Wellington (bottom of the North Island). The Kapiti Live Music Club have blackboard concert (about 1 hour) followed by a featured band, once a month. The door takings usually cover the cost of the featured band and we get to use the Bar as a free venue and play in front of a live audience. The Bar owner really supports us by also helping pay for radio adverts and flyers.

Paul

Wow, you remember our visit...? That was Jan 2000!

Anyway, we drove from Wellington to Auckland through the middle, past the sulphur and mud baths, the Maori village, and the big volcanos, all the names I forget, and couldn't pronounce anyway. We did drive up the east coast of the South Island (Kaikoura to Blenheim to Marlborough).

Maybe next time....

Posted : 25/02/2007 6:14 pm
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Congrats on yet another live gig ..

The pics look awesome mate ..

Hope you enjoyed yourself , I had a little chuckle when you said you only screwed up once ..

My life is one big screw up at the moment ..

Take care , when is the next big day out for Mr Brady ?

Trevor

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 25/02/2007 8:36 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Congrats, PBee! I have great admiration for people who can get up and play in front of others.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 25/02/2007 9:02 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Looks & sounds like a blast Paul. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 25/02/2007 9:16 pm
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Thanks guy's,
when is the next big day out for Mr Brady ?

why? are you comming over Trev :P . I'll book you a slot if you want.

The next Blackboard Concert is 20th March, so Ive got a few weeks to decide what Ill play then, apparently it gets easier the more you do it :lol: .

Paul

Posted : 26/02/2007 12:12 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Hey Paul

Wow. Not to sound to jealous but that looked like a terrific gig. Think you could move it half way across the world for me bud as I seem to be too lazy and tied down to Oklahoma to make it your way.

jIm

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 26/02/2007 12:38 am
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

I wish Paul ...

March way too close for me mate ..

Hang on you never said which year ....

Maybe in a few years I ll join you on stage mate :lol:

That will chase everyone away me on stage ..... :lol:

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am