12 Users
0 Likes
10.6 K Views
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Well, kind of…….

This past Friday was my birthday and I got the best present I could imagine, A GIG!!!!! It's a HUGE pig roast/cookout on July 30th.

My wife was taking me out for my birthday on Saturday and my friend (an awesome guitar player) and his wife were going as well so I decided to go to my friend's house for the better part of the day to practice and just to jam.

He wanted to practice a few songs so, I got the tabs for them and brought them over. It took us an hour to get down two of the songs so of course we went to the local bar to celebrate when he tells me “we're ready to do this”, I said, “do what?”. He proceeded to tell me about the pig roast and I was a little hesitant at first but, I said what the heck I gotta get out there sometime. He said we have around two weeks to get down the rest of the songs. I think around 4 or 5 songs in all.

They are-

- Lucky Man by Emerson, Lake and Palmer
- Nights In White Satin by Moody Blues
- Shanty by Jonathan Edwards
- Emma by Jonathan Edwards
- A finger pickin' instrumental while he plays flute over it
- And maybe more, who knows

We have Lucky Man, Nights in White Satin and my finger pickin' down pat. He just needs to work out his flute part but, he is an amazing improvizationalist (<spelling?) so I'm not worried the least bit. I figure between now and then we can get down Shanty and Emma. I know it might not seem like a lot of time to do it but, we play well together and he brings out the best in my playing and besides, it didn't take us long to get the other ones down.

I have to say, I'm not even nervous at all :shock: . Of course I know that will change the closer the day comes but, for now I'm gonna practice my butt off to make sure I have my parts down.

It's not a paying gig but, I'll keep my case open :lol: . They are really good friends of his so even if they did offer money neither of us would take it. Just the kind of guys we are I guess.

Oh, just in case you were wondering. It's an acoustic set, I'll be playing my Taylor 6 string for everything except the instrumental I'll use his Washburn 12 string for that. He'll be on the Washburn 12 except when he switches to flute for the instrumental. He will be singing for the most part and I'll be doing the back up and harmonies.

Well thanks for reading this, gotta go practice my fanny off now…….

Mike :D

Posted : 17/07/2005 7:53 pm
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Well congrats Mike. I am sure you will enjoy it and rock the house down.

Now you have to make sure you record it for our enjoyment since I am not sure how close I am to a town called "a dot on the map" to hear it live.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

Posted : 17/07/2005 8:11 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter

We're practically neighbors…… Rhode Island. :D

Now understand why I call it, “a dot”. :lol:

I'll see what I can do with recording it. I don't feel like bringing all my recording stuff and we aren't going though a P.A. system.

Posted : 17/07/2005 8:19 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Congrats Mike!

But be warned :!: Playing in front of people has been reported to be very addicting.

Some people forget about friends and family, spending long hours practicing in pursuit of these "gigs".

Some persons are known to frequent venues of less than desireable reputation for these vulgar displays.

Some are known to spend fortunes on guitars, amplifiers, and PA equipment!

In the worst cases, some people's appearance has even been known to change, growing long hair and beards. Some have resorted to wearing tight-fitting leather pants! Some people degenerate to the point of tattoos!

And all this from a simple Pig Roast gig!

Run! Run! while you still have your life and your sanity!!

Don't let THIS happen to you!

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 17/07/2005 10:44 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter

In the worst cases, some people's appearance has even been known to change, growing long hair and beards. Some have resorted to wearing tight-fitting leather pants! Some people degenerate to the point of tattoos!

Wes

Let's see-

Long hair - Nope
Beard- Nope
Tight pants- HELL NO!!!
Tattoos- Never in a million years

Some are known to spend fortunes on guitars, amplifiers, and PA equipment!

HEY! How did you know PA equipment is third on my list. :roll: After Avatar ext. cab and EQ's of course. 8)

Posted : 18/07/2005 12:21 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Wes is that you?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 18/07/2005 1:14 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Chris

No way I have the nerve to wear that :shock:

See the new post "Pictures" under Guitar Players Discussion for a closeup of my mug. But be warned, it's not a pretty sight. :D

I did have long hair back in the late 60s and early 70s. Used to wear bell-bottoms, wide belts, beads, and even Paisley!

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 19/07/2005 10:28 pm
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Congrats man!!! Ah yes, I remember my first gig, back when I was just a wee little grasshopper... :lol:

I hope you enjoy it, it sounds like a bigger gig than any gig's that I've done so far! :shock:

Congrats again! :)

Stairway to Freebird!

Posted : 20/07/2005 4:37 am
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks yoyo!!!

About a week ta go.

Posted : 21/07/2005 11:55 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Congrats tracker, good luck with everything. You'll do great!

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 22/07/2005 5:14 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Tracker,

Good luck man!

Wes,

I thought maybe that was your early glam rock/metal days?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 22/07/2005 12:30 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks Taso and cnev!

I'm meeting up with my friend tomorrow for the whole day to practice. Should be fun plus, I won't have the children running around.

Posted : 22/07/2005 4:06 pm
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Congrats Mike, you got the bug now dude.
By the way, hows your head this morning? :lol:

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

Posted : 22/07/2005 5:00 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Have fun :D :D BREAK A LEG :twisted: :twisted:
( i would not have said that to Vic) :lol:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 22/07/2005 5:14 pm
 Mike