First solo gig

13 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Just went solo a couple weeks ago and I was contacted today by a friend who is the promoter for a little festival they have here. Its a non paying gig but they feed us, put our names on the back of their shirts, and let us sell any merchandise we have.

I am trying to decide if I want to play Friday night at the "Jam for Jesus" which is more of a youth ministy/Christian rock kind of thing, or Sat which is more directed at adults but I think a cross of all genres.

The gig isnt until July and I hope to get some before that.. but I was so excited I had to share.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 26/01/2007 4:26 pm
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member

The gig isnt until July and I hope to get some before that.. but I was so excited I had to share.

Jim
I hope to get some before July too! ;)

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

Posted : 26/01/2007 5:50 pm
(@dhutson)
Estimable Member

Good luck Geo! Whether you play Friday or Saturday, I am confident it will be well received.

/Dwayne

http://www.soundclick.com/wayneroberts

Posted : 26/01/2007 6:52 pm
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Only 6 months to think about it and get nervous! :lol: No, I'm kidding!

Good luck with finding more gigs! From everything I've heard you shouldn't have much of a problem though.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

Posted : 26/01/2007 7:12 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Only 6 months to think about it and get nervous! :lol: No, I'm kidding!

Good luck with finding more gigs! From everything I've heard you shouldn't have much of a problem though.

Jason

Thanks guys.. Yeah, I dont think so either. I mean, I wasnt even looking for this one really it just come at such a good time. I am looking to start booking gigs about April. The end of it. But still, I am excited.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 26/01/2007 7:23 pm
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

That's awesome Jim! Man, I don't have the guts to go solo. I think the benefit/charity thing is a great way to get some exposure. We're thinking about lining up a couple of these ourselves.

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

Posted : 26/01/2007 7:35 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Great news Jim! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 26/01/2007 8:05 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Jim, do them all. There's never enough practice time so getting it done live is good, too.

Congrats, bud!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 26/01/2007 9:44 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Congrats!

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 26/01/2007 11:57 pm
(@rocker)
Noble Member

jim,

thats great, i'm happy for you buddy! 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

Posted : 27/01/2007 1:25 am
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Congrats Jim :D

I say play both Friday and Saturday. :wink:

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 27/01/2007 6:31 pm
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Good one Jim, play both if you can

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

Posted : 29/01/2007 4:08 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Just found out that I get the 1pm slot on Sat. I got an entire hour, which is what I requested. I invited the guitarist from Mojo to join me so he came over last night and we went through about seven songs. I think I will need about 15 for an hours worth. July in Oklahoma is pretty hot at 1pm but I figured I would get the lunch crowd that way. Those of you that are playing in church bands will recognise most of the songs we have lined up so far.

I Tell You The Truth (original)
Unfailing Love
Undignified
Blessed Be Your Name
All Creatures of Our God and King
Wholly Yours

Jim

Posted : 29/01/2007 4:29 pm