Notifications
Clear all

Gig in 2 nights and just fired a singer/guitarist! Ahhhhhhh

23 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

Glad to hear that it went well. It's a tough situation, but it sounds like you guys pulled through!

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

Posted : 28/08/2005 11:57 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Yea, Frank's been a problem for years before I ever joined. Still, he formed the band and taught the drummer and bass player so he was the leader. Now, without him, it's different. Jim (bass player, singer) is the man and he showed it at practice Thursday and at the gig. I'm finding out I relied too much on having three guitarist and it was evident last night because I had to make more "presence." If I did or not is to be determined. I still heard the 3rd guitar missing and some vocals.

Even so, I'd say we'll actually become a tighter band from all of this with just us four. I know I have to really be strong and practice much more. Even earlier I was reading again about scales because Frank and Bill used to trade solos. If I can only offer mediocre rhythm playing and no lead skills I'm dead weight. So I plan to spend some time over the next year to work on that stuff to try to be more versatile. I almost feel obligated to learn some lead to relieve Bill of doing that all the time.

One day (yea, when someone says that it never realizes) I plan to take vocal lessons so, again, I can contribute background vocals since I'm the only one who can't do that. Ah, but it's early in my musical life for guitar at 3 yrs. 5 mo.

One thing that did make me a bit sad is that one guy who comes to every show wanted me to give him Frank's number to try to get him to play at the next show in 3 weeks. He also told me I need to get a new amp. He's not a musician and was pretty drunk (but he can drink for 12 hours and keep going which beats me hands down).

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 29/08/2005 2:33 am
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

12 beers or not, the HRD wasn't good enough?!!! It seems like that guy was on smack!

Either way, you are who you are now. Re-group now that you have time to do that and I'm sure you guys will do just fine.

Best of luck, not that you need it, because I'm sure it will work out in the end!

Mike

Posted : 29/08/2005 3:30 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Dennis,

Way to go man, knew it would work out. And knowing you I'm sure you'll be ripping up some leads in no time.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 29/08/2005 1:05 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I am with Tracker.

The HRD is a great gig amp. Been using mine for almost 4 years now, and I've seen at least 5 or 6 other bands where the guitarist had an HRD.

Never listen to drunks.

One night a State Trooper pulled over a man who was weaving down the highway.

Trooper- Good evening sir, may I ask you where you've been tonight?

Driver- Oh hello officer, well, I just come from Joe's Place and now I'm goin' home.

Trooper- You look like you had a real good time tonight.

Driver- Well, I had a little fun.

Trooper- Well sir, were you aware that your wife fell out of your car about 2 miles back?

Driver- Wow, that's a relief!!

Trooper- Are you out of your mind? What do you mean that's a relief?

Driver- Well officer, for a few minutes there, I thought I'd gone completely deaf. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 30/08/2005 9:29 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I am with Tracker.

The HRD is a great gig amp. Been using mine for almost 4 years now, and I've seen at least 5 or 6 other bands where the guitarist had an HRD.

Never listen to drunks.

One night a State Trooper pulled over a man who was weaving down the highway.

Trooper- Good evening sir, may I ask you where you've been tonight?

Driver- Oh hello officer, well, I just come from Joe's Place and now I'm goin' home.

Trooper- You look like you had a real good time tonight.

Driver- Well, I had a little fun.

Trooper- Well sir, were you aware that your wife fell out of your car about 2 miles back?

Driver- Wow, that's a relief!!

Trooper- Are you out of your mind? What do you mean that's a relief?

Driver- Well officer, for a few minutes there, I thought I'd gone completely deaf. :D
ROTFLMAO--the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 30/08/2005 9:56 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Yea, I don't think I need a new amp. Maybe better fingers to get better sound to the amp. There were two reasons I bought the HRD. First is price. It was within my budget. I could not afford a Marshall tube amp starting at $900. Second, two people I play with here and there use them and they've been playing for decades. If it's good for them it's good enough for me. For fun, third, one of the guitarists in our band (three guitarists before me) used a HRD and it sounded great.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 30/08/2005 10:13 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Dennis

Yeah, I was probably being a little defensive.

The HRD is not the best amp in the world. That doesn't really exist. Every amp has it's strength and weaknesses. And different players want different things from an amp.

But you are right. The HRD is just about the best bang-for-the-buck out there. It is a good sounding, powerful, and very reliable amp.

I think it's strength is that it has an excellent clean channel. This is acknowledged by almost everyone.

And that is a lot really. When you have a great clean channel, you can do so much with it, especially with all the great effects processors and modelers out today.

You want it to sound blues? It will. You want it to sound metal? It'll do that too.

And it sounds darn good doing it.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 31/08/2005 12:27 am
Page 2 / 2