Notifications
Clear all

Gig Report: Essential Sounds - Harwich 16 April

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@alangreen)
Topic starter

Well, the band has been together for six months and it finally all came together last night. An audience of some 130 cheered, clapped, got hugely drunk, and danced the night away to our first live show. We went down a storm - and we got another gig out of it.

We played movie themes - Rocky, Saturday Night Fever; Medleys - Beatles, Village People and Rolling Stones (guess who gets to play that "Satisfaction" riff;) loads of Glenn Miller and Michael Buble stuff; Ol' Blue Eyes stuff (yes, we played "My Way") and far too much other stuff to mention here.

Highlight of the night? Difficult to tell; that first round of applause is a contender though.

The biggest laugh? During the third set, the top of my music stand gave up and my music tipped backwards onto the floor. What can you do? I laughed my head off. The drummer just barked at her daughter who was doing other percussion "Get The Music!" and we got it back together although I had to stop a few more times during that song to fix the stand. So, thanks to Laura for scrabbling round the stage under the most hilarious of circumstances.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 17/04/2011 9:05 am
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

sounds like a great first gig!

how many of you are in the band Alan? and are you the lead guitarist, or do you share those duties out with a few others? Also, will you be getting a new music stand for your next gig :D ?

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 21/04/2011 5:48 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Well done, Alan! Congrats! :D

Posted : 21/04/2011 8:31 pm
(@alangreen)
Topic starter

Ha ha! There are 18 of us and I'm the only guitarist. I spent most of the night thundering out block chords, mostly huge quantities of 7ths and diminished. I did get a few solos; I must work on the solo for Shake Rattle & Roll, I started great but lost the flow after 5 bars and it ended up sounding a bit pants.

I think I might take my own music stand for the next gig.

:-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 21/04/2011 9:07 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Very cool!! Glad to hear it went off pretty well!

Love the music stand falling, that's a classic moment!!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 22/04/2011 4:51 am
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member

130ppl is an AWESOME crowd to play for!!! 18ppl in the band...WOW :shock: That's a BIG band, glad you had a great gig. Keep the momentum and gig reports coming!!!

Ambition is the path to success...persistence is the vehicle you arrive in!!!

Posted : 26/04/2011 7:44 pm