Notifications
Clear all

Essential Sounds Big Band - First gig 16 April

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@alangreen)
Topic starter

Yep, the big day is almost here; tomorrow night, 20 musicians, many of them musical instrument teachers with Essex County Council, will launch on an unsuspecting world.

The Venue: The Marine Suite, Cliff Hotel, Marine Parade, Harwich, Essex CO12 3RE - UK

Kick off is at 8:00 and tix are £7 - proceeds to the "Mayor and Mayoress's charities." We play until midnight with two 20-minute breaks.

Last night's rehearsal could hardly have been more interesting. I wasn't happy with my sound, some of the solos went OK and some didn't, and I spent a chunk of the "half-time fag break" helping the singer get some reverb on his mic from an unintuitive mixing desk I'd never seen before whilst he read instructions out of the manual.

The gear for tomorrow is my Shaftesbury Les Paul clone into a Marshall MG30DFX. I made an executive decision this morning to take the overdrive pedal out of the frontline and put a compressor/ sustain pedal in there instead so I've been twiddling knobs to make sure the sound isn't different, just more of it, when I stomp on the box. Apart from that, it's trumpets, trombones, saxophones, clarinets, electric piano, drums bass and me, and we make a heck of a noise.

I found a spare set of strings whilst digging out the compression pedal (that's handy,) and that Tax Return I lost last year and had to download from the Inland Revenue's website so I could do the necessary in time.

wish me luck.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 15/04/2011 9:27 am
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Break a leg Alan!

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

Posted : 15/04/2011 10:48 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

or two...I'm sure it will be a smashing success!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 15/04/2011 11:22 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Break a leg Alan!
+1 :D

Posted : 15/04/2011 12:45 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Sounds cool!! Congrats and good luck!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 16/04/2011 3:01 am