Clear all

NGD - Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500M

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Well the money I saved on not getting the Cordoba C7, went far in purchasing this acoustic, as well as the Crafter Trade in.

This is an ALL SOLID WOOD guitar! :) :) I've never had one of those, it's a solid spruce top and solid mahogany back and sides.

With the trade in, +$60 off for buying at $499, I got it for around $300. I don't know what strings are on it, but I absolutely need to find out, the sales guy had no idea.

So because I've had Love the Way You Lie in my head, I went ahead and tuned it top Open Gm and started playing....Loving it!

1.) The feel of the neck is incredible, like butter, never felt that before.

2.) I don't feel the frets when sliding...my other guitars it was like going over speed bumps...I thought it was supposed to be that way, I GUESS NOT!

3.) It's a Satin finish, and not Lacquered. I LOVE that.

So here is a sound comparison of the Crafter and Masterbilt

Crafter: http://www.box.net/shared/j5ypoqhcec
EPMB: http://www.box.net/shared/l985uoap90

I didn't spend alot of time on EQ'ing the Masterbilt, just didn't have time, but wanted to share this awesome score! I finally feel like I have a suitable Acoustic Guitar!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 14/04/2011 4:07 pm
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

The Epi Masterbilts are terrific, in my opinion. Enjoy!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Posted : 14/04/2011 4:35 pm
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Congrats. It's great for you, and also a super endorsement and a listening opportunity to other forum members - I wanted to get around to seeing the Masterbuilts some time, but am not crazy about their dealer nearest me. It will be worth it.

Your guitar saga ended, or is progressing very well, after all you've been through. It seemed pretty rough for awhile. :(

The Crafter always sounded nice, but the MB has more texture, more woody tone and outstanding timbre. :D

I hear more bass, more midrange, a lot more boom from percussive tapping, and a nice tight treble.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 14/04/2011 4:42 pm
(@apache)
Reputable Member

yeah! HNGD! :D :D

Posted : 14/04/2011 6:16 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Congrats, Joe!
Sounds really rich and vibrant. 8)
My Seagull has a satin finish; love the look but it bruises easily (even if you just look at it sideways a ding shows up).
But there are more durable satin finishes than mine at higher price points. I suspect you got one. :)

Don

Posted : 14/04/2011 6:47 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Nice sounds! Cool guitar!

Congrats Joe!

Posted : 14/04/2011 8:32 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks everyone!

I've only messed around with it for a bit...but I'm loving it. Like I said...there has always been something missing for me regarding the guitars I've bought. The Crafter was the first Solid Top acoustic I had, but when recording there was just something missing...something that just wasn't as balanced as I thought it should be. I just thought it was me because I've only been playing for 3 years.

But I started to slowly hear what was missing and being able to pinpoint what I wasn't liking, and it was all in the mid range. THIS guitar, makes me feel alot better about playing. The neck seems a bit wider, so I can attack the strings better and cleaner, and it just resonates much better.

I'm very excited for the possibilities for this guitar!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 15/04/2011 3:26 am
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

Nice new guitar, Joe! I have not had a chance to listen to the sound clips. I am really looking forward to hearing them!

Jim

Posted : 19/04/2011 12:09 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

HNGD, Joe! It's a beaut and sounds quite nice. 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 23/04/2011 11:31 am
(@minzapint)

I have had an Epi Masterbilt AJ-500M for about four years .... and I play it at least an hour everyday. Just love the sound, it has to be the best sub $500 coustic out there (I got mine for $380 including case from Guitar Center).

Being solid wood it needs to be nursed during the winter as the air in NJ is so dry - mine is always cased with a freshened humidifier as soon as I have fiinished playing.

However I do have a problem, tuning to EADGBe is a real pain - 3G is particularly difficult to tune correctly - I have lost count of how many times I have snapped the 3G.

With brand new strings (Ernie Ball Eartwoods Medium Light) I now have to take 48 hours to tune to concert pitch - day one tune down 1 full stop, stretch the srings and play for a t least one hour, day two tune up a half step (still a half step down from concert pitch)..... reapeat the strecthing.Day three, tune up 5 of the 6 other strings up half a stop, stretch and retune. 3G slowly tune a few cents at a time up towards 3G, stretch, retune the other strings to compensate, when I get to within 5 cents of 3G final pitch the, the machine head is nearly impossible to turn and the neck is under full tension.I then tune the other strings at least a half stop further tune to 3G and then tune back to pitch.

I have considered boing down to Light Gauge strings but the loss of tone is not accepatbale - any body with any ideas how to tune up a little quicker?

Posted : 07/02/2012 10:35 am