Clear all

GIG REPORT - LIFE IS DRAMA @ Exit 197

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Last Sat (7/9) MY NEW BAND “LIFE IS DRAMA” (they offered me the guitar position :D ) played @ Exit 197 (Pontiac, IL). Pontiac is a 1-1/2hr drive mostly through rural farmland for me & Pontiac is an exit on I-55, known mostly for having a prison. The band has been playing here regularly on a 2 month rotation since last year and we're booked here through Dec 2011. They said they get a really good turn out and when I asked them how they got the gig here so far out they said someone saw them and referred them to the bar. Next month we play @ Boobens (Dwight IL) and again someone saw the band and referred them to the bar and they've played there regularly ever since. We're booked there in Aug & again in Oct for their Halloween weekend. :D

I was the first one to the gig and the building was LONG. The front of the building is a liquor store and the back part is a bar with a half wall splitting the club creating an open area w/tables on either side, an open area in the middle for dancing & a stage on the back wall. On my side of the stage there was an electric chair being stored there since their Halloween party last year. I couldn't figure out how to incorporate into the show but maybe you guys can come up with some suggestions for our Sept gig??? :D

I got all set up and my rig had a high pitched “squeal” coming through the speaker. I couldn't figure out what was causing it so I turned the dial on my noise gate even farther to the right and it went away, hope it's not something serious. After we got all set up Mindi (singer) asked me if I wanted to go get something to eat so we walked across the street to Subway & Rob (drummer) called "where did you guys go?" and followed shortly thereafter. During our pre-show dinner they said they usually draw 100+ppl every time they play here & it's a “late” bar where the crowd usually builds through the night. When we stared we had about 10ppl there & it grew to about 40ppl at its peak. That part was a little disappointing but the crowd we had there liked us A LOT and the lady taking the cover charge said we were a GREAT BAND!!! :D That was cool, we started to worry a bit. The shot girl said she sold a lot of shots Sat night so that helps too. We had some fans (they call themselves the WACK PACK) that came out Sat night and before we play 3 Doors Down's “Kryptonite” they always buy us a “Kryptonite” shot. I saw a picture of 2 of them at a table on Sat night on Facebook and they had a pyramid of empty Kryptonite shot glasses (had to be 15+ glowing green glasses) so that helped us out. I heard other bands had less than average crowds this weekend and I'm thinking it's probably due to everyone staying home since the last weekend was a Holiday. We played very well Sat night and I felt I played better Sat night than I did back on Monday night probably because I could hear myself better over the drums (I turned up a lot more, which probably added to the squealing). Some people come up to me with some nice compliments about my playing which was cool too!!! :D

My next gig is THIS SATURDAY (7/16/11) @ Keglers Sports Bar & Grill (905 Theodore St, Crest Hill, IL). I think it's a bowling alley with a bar. I saw pics of the bar on Facebook and it looks nice!!! We play from 10:00pm-1:30am.

Also check out our website lifeisdrama.com and “LIKE” us on Facebook under Life is Drama!!! I have a bunch of pictures that I need to upload to my FB page but I've been too busy practicing up for the next gig. Next week for sure!!! Thanks for reading and all the great comments & KEEP ROCKIN' !!!! :D

Tommy Gunz

Ambition is the path to success...persistence is the vehicle you arrive in!!!

Posted : 12/07/2011 8:43 pm