Guitar Center - credit promotion

15 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Hi everyone... for you USA buyers...

I just received an email from Guitar Center announcing that they are running a 15 months NO PAYMENTS or INTEREST promotion on their credit card. 15 months!!!

I was saving up for a Fender Stratocaster... I've already done the math (including tax):

Mexican Standard $450 = $30 a month
Mexican Roadhouse Strat $600 = $40 a month
USA Highway One $790 = $52 a month
American Standard $1000 = $66 a month
USA Deluxe $1250 = $83 a month

Now, I just need to figure out which one to get (or, do I do a Mexi Standard Strat AND Tele??).

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

Posted : 01/05/2008 11:49 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

ooOOoo I dont do credit. I know, I know .."But your missing out on free money!" But they know that 70 - 80 % of those that they give the cards to will eventually use it up past the "free" period. I am one of those. Man, I am bad with credit.. HOWEVER, not everyone is a slacker like me so be sure to show us a pick of your new guitar(s).

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 01/05/2008 12:42 pm
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member

yeah.... I don't do those either. I figure that you're paying the same amount... so might as well now.

On the other hand, I have a friend who's been wanting a bass for a while and has been saving up. Does this apply for bass?

Posted : 01/05/2008 12:53 pm
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

Hey, thanks Dali! I got that ad as well. I'm bad with numbers and managing money, so thanks for figuring all of that out.
I might as well go for broke on the Deluxe. Well, that's if my wife (who is good at numbers and managing money)will let me.

I can see it now--- :roll: !!!

Jim

Posted : 01/05/2008 12:54 pm
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter

The website has a TON of participating vendors. If he's looking for a Fender bass it would definitely apply.

I was saving up for a used Strat anyway (I have $500 right now) so I was combing ebay looking for something decent and then I got this email... I've only bought one new guitar in my life (my SG) so it might be nice to have another nice guitar to go with the SG (the rest are nice, but are mid-priced imports and were used when I bought them). I'm leaning toward the USA Sienna Sunburst with maple neck:

-=- Steve

Posted : 01/05/2008 12:57 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Thats a nice looking guitar. 8)

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 01/05/2008 1:01 pm
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter

In case you are interested in the ad:

https://guitarcenter.rsys1.net/servlet/website/ResponseForm?nNpmHkEVTTBTXWT_u_UYfhgmo.40pgHgJpgnyhsHgK.40Hgmht.3dEz0.26wa.26uDebf7Fwy1.2e.26u0b7eD9vf

-=- Steve

Posted : 01/05/2008 1:01 pm
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

That is one SWEET guitar, Dali! I would vote for that!

Jim

Posted : 01/05/2008 2:56 pm
(@parrow)

Be sure to read the fine print. Most of these "no interest" deals can hit you with significant interest charges back to the begining if you don't pay it off within the prescribed period.

Posted : 01/05/2008 4:16 pm
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member

+1 to Parrow and +1 to that being a fantastic looking gee-tar. I bought a new american standard strat a few months back from GC and love it. It was my first electric so I had nothing really to compare it to but, since then, I've gone back and played a few other makes/models and very pleased with my selection.

Posted : 01/05/2008 5:03 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

If you were to buy a $2000 guitar and not complete the payments in 15 months, you'd owe them an extra $305 on top of the cost of the guitar. If you read the fine print, finance charges accrue from the purchase date, not from 15 months from now. I bet they are hoping you don't pay it off in time. 21.9% interest? I think I wrote a song about that recently.

Posted : 01/05/2008 5:23 pm
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I hear ya on the interest charges. I'm pretty good with payments, and plus you can set up automatic payments fro myour checking or savings if you bank online to make up for it.

-=- Steve

Posted : 01/05/2008 5:44 pm
(@parrow)

While the basic interest rate on the offer is currently 21.9%, the default rate (the rate they can charge if you violate any of the terms of the agreement) is even higher - 24.9%. Also, the interest rate is variable - it will rise or fall based on some reference rate - usually a "prime rate". In times of interest rate volitility, like now, the rate can go much higher. Climbing variable interest rates are one of the key factors in the subprime mortgage lending mess.

Back to the basic point - this sort of financing can be a good deal if you pay it off fully before the time period expires, and if you are aware of all of the terms of the deal. Otherwise, it can be a real trap.

Posted : 01/05/2008 6:19 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i have used the same type offer from MF many times.

it's a great way to have it now, and not have to put any cash down.
but as Nick says, if you're not responsible enough to budget the money and make the payments , then it's a fools game.

#4491....

Posted : 01/05/2008 7:52 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Bought living room furniture that way. Its great but you absolutely have to pay it off before the 15 months deadline. Otherwise...the interest kills ya. it adds up quick man!!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 01/05/2008 8:12 pm