Clear all

had my first gig last night (video)

13 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

although i didn't realize it at the time, because i was concentrating on my parts. the singing was really bad.

http://media.putfile.com/Johnny-Cash-Cover-Battle-of-Bands

im in the back with the JEM

i had to make up all lead for the song. except the part where the kid with the les paul played a solo

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

Posted : 20/05/2006 3:00 pm
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

doesn't play for me dude, is there somewhere to download it ?

Minus

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

Posted : 20/05/2006 3:04 pm
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

thats the only link i have, sorry :(

yousendit.com doesn't seem to be working

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

Posted : 20/05/2006 3:18 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

(putfile works for me, but is terribly slow)

Hey Rich, congratulations on your first gig! Nice playing and sound. The midway solo was quite tastefull, best part of the song for me.
the singing was really bad.

Suggestion: don't talk negatively about people you just played with, and espescially if they did their best and are unable to defend themselves here. The #1 thing that will decide whether this was your last gig or the beginning of a long run of performances is not how well you play but how well you function in a group, by taking combined responsibility in the entire performance and supporting the rest of the musicians, even if you only play with these people once. Please take this as the advice it is intended to be and not as an insult: in case it wasn't clear yet, your performance was obviously more then decent.

Posted : 20/05/2006 3:36 pm
(@dooley-dawn)

Worked for me! Ok yeah the singing was..well... you said it not me! BUT you have to give 'em props for trying (sounded like just nerves to me..not really bad)! I only sing in front of my dogs or torture the kids! lol
Your playing sounded great :) Best of luck! Congratulations on your first gig!!

Love is a little thing that feels like a lizard.... It runs from your heart right down to your gizzard!

Posted : 20/05/2006 3:41 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Congrats!! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 20/05/2006 4:08 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Rich

Congrats on your first gig, you will treasure this video forever. You did a very good job on guitar.

As for the singing, I ran an Open Mic for two years. I have heard singers MUCH worse than this. :D

A compressor would have helped with the vocals, it would have taken the loud peaks out.

Give the singer time. I heard Ronnie Van Zandt (Lynyrd Skynyrd) when they were just starting out, he did not sing so well. But he sure did get the hang of it!

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 20/05/2006 8:19 pm
(@catsworth)
Estimable Member

Direct download:

http://uploadfile.putfile.com/videos/13900521253.wmv

Right-click, save as..........

The file's there and it works, but it's a sloooooooooooooow download.....

Rumour has it that if you play Microsoft CDs backwards you will hear Satanic messages.

Worse still, is that if you play them forwards they will install Windows.

Posted : 20/05/2006 8:36 pm
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

Give the singer time. I heard Ronnie Van Zandt (Lynyrd Skynyrd) when they were just starting out, he did not sing so well. But he sure did get the hang of it!

Wow, sometimes I forget how 1970 really wasn't that long ago.

The guy on this video sounds pretty good on a couple notes, but when he tries to reach it gets ugly. The guitars sounded good all the way around, your solos were great. Did you guys win?

Posted : 21/05/2006 12:18 am
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

no, the same band that wins every year, won again

Posted : 21/05/2006 3:15 am
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Actually, the vocals probably would have sounded better with a different PA setup.
I'm guessing only the vocals and the accoustic were in the PA, and since the camera was pretty much in front of the speaker, then they overloaded the mic on the camera.

Still, decent performance, especially for your first gig.
How long have you guys been playing together?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

Posted : 21/05/2006 4:41 am
(@improvgtrplyr)
Estimable Member

great playing...good tone.

Posted : 21/05/2006 2:17 pm
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

this is only a one night band, i won't be playing with them again.

we only played together for 2 weeks.

Posted : 21/05/2006 4:05 pm