Hornets Play Toowoomba!

12 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

G'Day,
Just FYI "The Hornets" (name soon to be changed - long story...) are playing the Norvel Tavern in Toowoomba Next weekend - the 16th of May! 9pm start - Come along for some rockin' Blues & Billy. See you there 8)

"Who says you can't 'dive bomb' a bigsby?!"

Posted : 05/05/2008 7:05 am
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

dude what are the chances anyone here is gonna live there? haha :P

where abouts is the northern tavern?

Posted : 06/05/2008 12:45 am
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

also i said that cause i DO live in twmba! haha :P howd the gig go?

Posted : 22/05/2008 1:53 am
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

ha ha ha! It's been a while since I've had a look at this post - no doubt it'll be confined to a dusty part of cyberspace somewhere....

We play the Norville Tavern on Russle st & The Shamrock on Ruthven. FYI name has noq changed to 'Ugly Graham & The zephyr Project' Next gig at the Norville this friday (25th July) 8)

Posted : 24/07/2008 12:31 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Re - the name change - just as well. To a Brit like myself, "Hornets play Toowoomba" looks like a Rugby League fixture....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 24/07/2008 12:55 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I thought it was probably a soccer game, or maybe something strange like cricket.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 24/07/2008 1:18 pm
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Toowoomba! And here I am a newbie wondering who's nearby...

I'm tucked in behind Murwillumbah, below Springbrook...not too far from (hey!) Nimbin.

Gimme the lowdown on The Hornets...

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

Posted : 30/07/2008 6:13 am
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Sorry I missed it :(

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 30/07/2008 7:22 am
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hey Cat;
Well, the Hornets are now said & done becasue there's another GOOD band using that name. So we're now 'The Zephyr project' & we play with another dude called 'Ugly Graham'. So you'll see us on the Blackboard as 'Ugly Graham & The Zephyr Project". That name's been registered so there should be no more naming drama's. We play Blues & Rockabilly. But we play it with a fair bit of energy & sometimes really dark energy. Our sound is evolving, into something I can't quite describe. Blues with attitdue?

For example two of my favourite songs we play are "Spell' by Howlin' Wolf, only in our version it get's more like (slow) Metallica at the end :twisted:
The other is 'New Cadillac' by The Clash, which just rolls like a freight train & you better get on board or outta the way! We also play alot of classic blues stuff like SRV, Clapton & Rory Gallagher, & odd beat rockabilly stuff like Charlie & the Nightcats, Three Bad Jacks, & The Stray Cats.

Hey Barnabus Rox - you missed an interesting gig! Our bass player's rig caught fire when one of the speakers burst into flames & we had to clear the pub - true story. I don't think it was supposed to do that!! Our next Toowoomba gig is at the Tatt's on the 6th of September, as we're concentrating on a Blues comp in Brisbane for August. If anyone is down that way it's at the Jubillee & our heat is Aug 26th. ROCK ON!

Posted : 30/07/2008 11:19 pm
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Rob...

You get down to the Blues Fest when it's on in Byron???

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

Posted : 31/07/2008 2:12 am
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Man, that's a trip I've been wanting to do for years! Hopefully 2009 - I'll let you know if I do! 8)

Posted : 01/08/2008 1:24 am
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

For anyone else wanting to know the FULL story on the bass-fire, read the 'Mesa Boogie Meltdown' thread. Guys at Mesa & Pro Audio are doing a great job with it. 8)

Posted : 06/08/2008 6:46 am