Hurray for Craigslist

14 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter

My big "goal" for this year was to find someone to play guitar with. I didnt really care if that was a single person or an entire band. Well, last week I placed an ad on Craigslist and already someone has just now contacted me. I am so excited. Now I have all those usualy.. "Hope it works out" feelings. :lol: Almost feels like a date. hehe

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 20/06/2006 3:13 am
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

SWEET!!! I hope everything works out for ya bud!

Posted : 20/06/2006 3:22 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Cool! This will help you more than you know! Your whole guitar world is about to open up wide!! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 20/06/2006 2:32 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member

It's definitely just like a first date. :shock: Well, that is without opening doors or pulling chairs out for her.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 21/06/2006 4:36 pm
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

It's definitely just like a first date. :shock: Well, that is without opening doors or pulling chairs out for her.

So it's more like a second date then? :wink:

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 21/06/2006 6:06 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Congrats on finding someone to jam with. :D

Sometimes it's difficult getting anything going at first, so take along some of your favorite songs that you play well. Even just the lyrics with the chord changes is good. Make an extra copy for the other player. It is always more enjoyable when you can play real songs and not just noodle around.

Please write a report on your first jam. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 22/06/2006 1:00 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Great Geoo! 8)

Hope it all goes well & you have fun! :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 22/06/2006 1:18 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks guys, I will write a report. The jam is today. I'm really looking forward to it.

An interesting thing happened this week. A second person from my town contacted me. This guy has played for 20 years or so, played in some of the bigger bars in our area. says that he has filled in as a guitarist for some of the smaller national acts that come through and he sounds pretty legitimate. Anyway, he wants to start a country band and get back on stage. We're gonna get together Friday and see if we'd be a good pair for writing some songs. If all goes well, then I'll be lead vocals in this project and playing some guitar. I am pretty excited but a little nervous too. The guy is very easy to talk to, really nice, but he's got alot more experience than me. If nothing else I'll chalk it up as a learning experience.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 27/06/2006 10:51 am
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Best of luck for both tonight and Friday.

Hope you enjoy it.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 27/06/2006 4:42 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Congrats! Give us all the details after the metting...

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 27/06/2006 5:01 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter

UPDATE: ** Sort of **

Well, I was all pumped up to meet today. But I know better than to just show up at someones house. I always call before hand. Well, no answer. Checked email. No email. 1pm comes and goes and I am not sure whats going on. BUT, this past year or two I have really mellowed out alot and learned that its best to be patient and not get in a fit. Turns out the fellow had a medical emergency. A birth in the family, and he just didnt make it back in time. But he was super apologetic and we're gonna reschedule.

Next up: Fridays meeting. Well unless this one reschedules before Friday. =)

Geoo

Posted : 27/06/2006 9:47 pm
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Good luck, again!

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

Posted : 27/06/2006 10:07 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

geoo

That Country band sounds good. As singer you will likely strum basic open chords. It will be more important to sing well than play guitar. A second guitarist will be up front, you will be in the background. You can kinda get away with a few things playing rhythm in the background, so don't worry if it is not perfect at first. With a little practice you will play your parts well. And you should learn a lot playing with a seasoned player. Heh, we all have to gain experience somewhere. :D

And you have a 2nd player as well to practice with. Heh, maybe he would be interested in joining you and the Country guitarist. Can he play bass? :D

Have fun and please write a report.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 27/06/2006 10:46 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Hell Yea! Sounds sweet! Hope it works out for you. I was in a country/rock band in the late 70's it was lots of fun :D ( we called ourselves "Home Grown" after a Niel young song --the dog

Niel Young:
"Homegrown's all right with me.
Homegrown is the way it should be.
Homegrown is a good thing.
Plant that seed and let it rain."

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 28/06/2006 12:22 am