Clear all

Summary: gig with Late Calling 6-17-06

12 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Go grab your coffee or full sugar pop (soda for those outside the Midwest). I've got a lot of stuff to say about this gig. You'll get the good, the bad, and the ugly. This time there is an ugly…

The gig was at Studio 30 out in Frankfort, IL. That's 64 miles from where I live, ouch. But two of our band members live out there. So I got to the gig and was surprised at how large the place was from the outside. They had a beer garden, too, but it wasn't used all night.

I walk in and the bar was sectioned off into like 3 rooms. The main bar room was pretty small for just normal nights. The air conditioning was nice. I walk into the “band” room and it was quite large. It had a nice long bar and a long room. A dance floor right in front of the stage and the tables for people to sit about 30' from the stage. And there was another pool room, too.

Anyway, it was like 90 degrees :shock: and the band room was not being air-conditioned so I went up to one of the bartenders and asked if they could put the air on for the show. Fortunately, I brought two small fans so that helped. I set up on the far right on stage as usual and put my Fender Hot Rod about six feet in back of me. The stage was more cramped than the last gig we had.

I bought a 30' mic cable, a Shure SM57 mic, & a mic stand so I could mic the amp to the mixer to the PA. My cable was barely long enough to get to the mixer. Should have bought a 50' cable. I set up my mic off axis about 8” from the speaker with the nose pointed between the center of the cone & the outer circle of the speaker.

Did a sound check and the mixing dude was happy. There was very little light on stage so I asked another guy if he could put some light on us. He put a little. There was a colored light machine on the ceiling and disco ball and asked if he could turn that on. The other band members said if freaked ‘em out so that was out. I liked the spinning lights.

I found out after the last show that beer was free for us. Wish they would have told me. Just before we were supposed to go on for this show I asked Alex if that's the case for this gig. He said no so I had to improvise.

We did some warm-up blues in E & A and things were good. I noticed my amp was vibrating the stage when I played even when the drummer wasn't playing. Weird. So we start the first song and Alex (guitar player) tell me to turn down. I did then could barely hear myself. After the first song the drummer said I was too loud in the mix through the PA.

The second song was a rocker, too. Didn't get told to turn down but, again, I was having a very hard time hearing my amp at all. Honestly, I didn't know if the audience was watching me do air guitar of if they were really hearing anything in the PA's. Most of the night I could not hear myself in respect to the other guitar player who said he could not hear his solid-state amp even on the 2nd (loudest) channel.

I got lost & stopped playing for 2-3 seconds again on Learn to Fly (Foo Fighters) even though I play it perfectly when I'm at home. Brain lapse. Same deal on a song by Benatar but it was less than a second. There were not many people there for the size of the gig so I played on some songs I wasn't planning to do.

There are some I only have parts figured out and played them figuring I could take some chances with a smaller crowd. Had it been packed I would played everything safe. The first set went pretty good. The sound guy did a great job. Twice as good as the last gig which was his first time running sound.

BREAK: go refresh your coffee, tea, or pop

We played pretty good in the second set. The third song was a new one, Hey Joe, which we practiced twice at our only practice as a band since the last show. It sounded pretty good. Sweet Home Chicago sounded good. We all hit the two breaks in Takin' Care of Business spot on (yes!) where as my other band has never gotten it right (nor cared to). The second to last song was another new song we only practiced twice at the last practice. It sounded great.

The last song of the second set is always Black Betty. Got only a few handclaps out in the audience and that song TOTALLY rocks. We all sat around a table for some beers after the set and everyone was disappointed at the Black Betty response. Worse, apparently someone out in the crowd who knows Krissi (lead singer) yelled out “We want Krissi's band.” The bass player was rather upset about this and verbally confronted the person. I didn't stick around for it.

Still, what's the logic in a person saying that? :evil: Krissi also fronts Yard Fulla Cars (country band). If that person wanted that band they were in the wrong bar the wrong night. The flyers on the door in huge colored letters said “Featuring Late Calling.” Nevertheless, everyone's spirits were down on the second set break. I only mentioned to the guys that this was a paid practice.

I was disappointed at the turnout (as everyone else). We practice our songs, we maintain our instruments, we invest thousands of dollars into equipment, we drive our gear to practices. We set up equipment, play three sets, teardown equipment for an hour and do some more driving. I don't think any bar patrons (who are not musicians) ever thought of that. Okay, enough of that.

Since the break between the second and third set was long our drummer Jimmy picked up his acoustic guitar and his wife Kara (bass player) joined him. That was so, so cool to watch those two. That was the highlight of my night. I've never know a drummer who plays guitar let alone play like Jimmy does.

So I used that small turnout and decided to take chances on songs. I think the third set was good. We had some mellow ones but rocked out the middle to the end of the set. I even played on Nugent's 8-minute masterpiece Stranglehold. I was all worried I'd hose You Shook me (AC/DC) because I had not practiced it much but it went well. Not one mistake. Still have to learn the first two parts of the rhythm in the solo.

Closed it out with Radar Love (which I normally don't play because I don't know the whole thing but took the chance). Sounded great.

It was 2am and we decided to run through some more songs and played until 2:30. We had everything packed in an hour and scooted on out of there. Before the show one of the band members said we were getting $400 for this show. Maybe half based on what they gave me after the show. I still say we need to charge a $5 cover charge to get in to cover paying the band. Somehow I'm not getting any response from the band via email on that one. We'll see.

Oh yea, gotta tell you something funny now but not so funny then. I decided to take 294 home up to 290. Well, I kept driving East on Route 30 wondering where the heck 294 was. Suddenly I see this big sign “Welcome to Indiana!” Ahhhhhh. So I got out the map and, sure enough, 294 doesn't go South enough to intersect Route 30. I was totally not familiar with the area.

So I decided, since I was that far out, I'd go enjoy a nice cruise through downtown Chicago and took 94 North to 290 West. Man, that view of Chicago was great as the sun was rising. Got home at 5am, unloaded, then played for an hour until I couldn't stand it anymore. Got to be at 7am and got up at noon. Just another Saturday night.

All in all, it was a good experience. I'm quite joyful to be able to play with these guys. It's like a reunion each time we get together. The long commute to/from this gig was ugly but I'm really looking forward to our next show. :D

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 19/06/2006 8:11 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Dennis

Thanks for the great gig report. It's great you tell about the small details like the lights, makes for a great story.

As far as the crowd heckling, heh, that's what stupid drunk people do. I don't pay much attention to what the crowd shouts out. No matter what you play they always ask for some song you don't know. If we do happen to know it we'll play it.

I actually have a few comebacks for hecklers. For instance, when they shout out a song I have said, "We just played that!" :D Sometimes you get a laugh from the crowd with that one. If they shout out "you suck!" I say, "and that's why I have a girlfriend and you don't!"

My current band they don't like me to make comebacks like this, afraid somebody is going to come out of the crowd at us. That would be a big mistake. A guitar is really a pretty good weapon. How about a mouthful of headstock? Or a nice heavy LP body on top of yo' head?

Just kidding, but if someone ever really came at me, I am prepared. 8)

So, don't listen to drunks.

It is a little different mic'ing all the instruments. Sometimes the soundperson will have you turn your guitar down real low, so you have to trust that the crowd can hear it. Ask the soundperson to put a little of your guitar in the monitor. Buy the guy a beer. Always be good to the soundperson, they can make or break you.

I got lost once too. I was driving north from Philadelphia, through New Jersey to New York City and Connecticut. They had a Detour and a sign said look for the next Detour sign to get back on the Highway I was on. I am driving and driving, where the heck is that sign? Finally after about an hour I come to the Delaware bridge going south. What??? I had driven in a huge circle all over New Jersey.

This has nothing to do with gigging, just letting you know that this happens to everybody at one time or another. :D

Oh yeah, the beer. Never trust a bandmate for that. I always go straight to the bar when I get there and ask if the band gets drinks and how many. Sometimes you get maybe just 3 free beers, sometimes you can drink all you want. But I always find out for myself.

All in all sounds like a pretty good gig. You never know how many people will show, just put our fliers and send e-mails and hope for the best.

That pay sounds alright, about average really.

Thanks again for the report, I really enjoy them and I'm sure others do too.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 19/06/2006 8:51 pm
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Well like much of what Wes said, the sound guy, the crowd, all that stuff you just have to deal with. Drunk crowds always think that they are better then the band.

You may want to invest in a longer cable for the mic, just so that you can setup comfortably. Do get in well with your soundguy, he's very important. It will be worth it.

Sounds good overall, and good luck with the next one.

Oh yeah, don't think of the drive as getting lost, you just happened to take the "scenic route"

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

Posted : 19/06/2006 9:13 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Yea, I chalk it all up to an experience that I'll keep with me for quite some time. Glad you like details. If I just said “the gig was good” that really tell only the bottom line.

Kara was having trouble seeing her bass fretting hand because it was so dark. Fortunately, I bought this little gadget from MF about two weeks ago.

Link to fretboard light

I set it on her bass and she could see & play without struggling. I was going to use it for fun during the show but at least it went to good use. I leave one of my little black fans at band practice just to move air and I bring a separate one to shoot at me. Alex forgot to bring that fan but was lucky I brought two so I used one and let him use the other.

I've been hauling a 50' 12 gauge (thick and heavy) extension cord reel in the trunk of my car for a year. At the gig I actually used it to run power from the way far side of the stage to the side of the drummer. From there I hooked up two 25' standard extension cord reels and me & the other guitar player were set. These days I leave so much of this “extra” stuff in my trunk that it holds little else.

I even brought an extra 30' instrument cable in case my new mic/cable didn't work. Normally I have a check list and mark off each item I've packed for the gig. Couldn't find the printout but at least I didn't forget anything. Yea, I think I have to get a longer mic cable. I know with guitar cables, the longer they are, the more drop off of treble. I figured a 50' mic cable would be “worse” than a 30' cable.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 19/06/2006 10:08 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Dennis

Just buy another 25' mic cable. You can even use a 10' or 15'. They connect together when you need the extra length (the male end will connect with another mic cable female end).

I've never experienced a big change in tone from long runs. But I have never been a tone freak. Plus you can always use your amp's EQ to compensate.

That light looks pretty cool. I have trouble in the dark too. I have a sturdy music stand and always bring our songbook. I rarely have to look, but once in awhile I do (forget lyrics). I print out the lyrics in blue font, seems to show better than black. I use the largest font possible. But you need a little light to see. I need to find a little battery powered light with a gooseneck to attach to the top of the music stand.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 19/06/2006 10:44 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I fogot you could couple mic cables so I'll just buy another one. As far as a music stand light, I bought two of these a couple of years ago:

Link to light

Pretty expensive but very reliable. It has no bulb to break when you're doing teardown after the gig. It's a LED light that won't break and puts out the perfect light. Not too bright or dark. Easy to position, too. If anyone finds a better light let me know.

As far as stands, I've always hated the cheap foldable ones that hold a few sheets. This one

Link to music stand

Can hold my 10 pound binder and is very stable even in the outdoor gigs on windy days. Never want to have a music binder drop to the floor.

Posted : 19/06/2006 11:02 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Dennis

I really like that light. I have been looking at many, but that looks better than any I've seen.

My music stand is very heavy duty. The only problem is that the legs don't retract. Seems like they always get in the way wherever you try to pack it. Wish I had seen your model.

It is amazing all the money we spend on little things like this. :D

Posted : 19/06/2006 11:42 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

"The drunker they get, the better we sound..."

Posted : 20/06/2006 4:06 pm
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member

Hey Dennis, great story. I wish I was in town because you were playing in my backyard. Let me know if you guys get another gig out this way and I'll see if my band members will come out to support you and make sure those "hecklers" see the door. I wouldn't worry about them...you're playing on stage and they're not. I know where I would rather be, but I guess thats the difference between musicians and those who just hang out in bars.

I hope you guys come back to Club 30 soon. We have a gig every other weekend from July-Sept at a campground in Yorkville ??? and couple of private pool parties in between so I will keep you and Guitarnoise up to date. I don't mean to plug myself here, but if you are nearby let me know and I will send the info.

Good Luck Dennis, hopefully our bands could play some gigs together someday.
Tom

Ambition is the path to success...persistence is the vehicle you arrive in!!!

Posted : 20/06/2006 7:36 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Hey Tom, yea, I was literally less than ten minutes from where you live. Got a million emails among the band members yesterday & today. We'll likely be down at that club again in a couple of months. Our sister band, Yard Fulla Cars, will be playing Club 30 July 29th but I don't see myself driving 128 miles round trip to watch a band as opposed to playing.

Also in the emails Late Calling may be opening for a bigger band at Club 83 in Lemont July 21st. The next day maybe in Odell (read: really long drive). It would be cool to have us both play the same night. Do you guys play any gigs North of Tinley Park?

Posted : 20/06/2006 10:29 pm
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member

Dennis,

Not as of yet. We just got together in April and we want to get tighter as a band before we take on bars and fests. I think maybe by fall (Oct...ish) We'll see how things go. We only have (1) gig under our belt so far. Let me know when you guys are going to be at Club 30 again. I would like to come out and support your band.

Ambition is the path to success...persistence is the vehicle you arrive in!!!

Posted : 21/06/2006 2:50 pm
(@rocker)
Noble Member

drunks are definatley hard to deal with at times, 2 weeks ago at a show i had one spit at me,
made me so mad i jumped off the stage a busted him in the mouth, the bouncer seen him spit at me and through him out after i busted his mouth for him, i'm not saying what i did was right but you gotta draw the line somewhere 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

Posted : 24/06/2006 5:01 pm