Clear all

I finally did it!

13 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@darth-ordinary)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I got round to actual jamming - with another actual guitar player!. None other than the mighty Vic Lewis from these very pages, who only lives about 3 miles from me. Not played with anyone since I started playing again a couple of years ago and WAYYY before that so was a bit nervous but Vics a top guy and put me at ease. A bit disorganised at first but things started knitting together as the night wore on, it flew by! had a real, real good time and played a bit better than I thought I could. Definitely be doing this again!

Cheers Vic - nice bloke, good player, big confidence boost. Nice tea too!

8) 8) 8) 8)

Gordon Smith GS1.5-40 Marshall VS65R

Posted : 06/07/2007 10:01 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

cool, congrats.

And by congrats, I mean congrats on being able to come and post here again. Lets just say the last person to go and jam with Vic...well, we havn't seen him since - no one has. :lol:

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 06/07/2007 11:04 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, that was fun. Got to be more organised for next time though - I'm already working on "More Than A Feeling" with the other G chord.

I feel a name change is in order, though - Darth Ordinary? Nope, Darth pretty good, actually. Only one person made any mistakes or fluffs, and that was moi. And that guitar - The Gordon Smith in his avatar - is a real beauty! Wider neck than I'm used to, but plays like a dream.

Oh and Taso - he was safe enough, I kept him well away from the Marilyn and the dogs. In that order.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 07/07/2007 12:01 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Wow! That's really great that y'all live so close!! Very cool! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 07/07/2007 2:30 am
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Way to go guys, sounds like the beginning of a band.

I think it's great when members of GN can get together. Chris (Cnev) and I have had the opportunity to jam together a few times in the last month, although he lives 40 miles from me. But we have a great time and are working on a few songs. It's great all the friends you can make here.

Keep jamming guys, find that bass player and drummer and you are all set. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 07/07/2007 7:49 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Keep jamming guys, find that bass player and drummer and you are all set.

Either of us could switch to bass in a pinch, we both did last night - but I know from past experience, there is absolutely no way I can play bass and sing. Funny thing is - and I never really thought much about it till afterwards - I don't remember Ray singing much, and I was too busy concentrating on keeping up with him to sing much. Did those sorta mumbly vocals you do when you're first learning a tune....

Drummers, on the other hand, are bloody hard to find - at least good ones.....we could do with a few Bish clones around this neck of the woods. Hey Bish - how's about sending us a DNA sample over here? Bish? BISH?

Now where's he gone? Why'd he run off so fast?

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 07/07/2007 8:55 pm
(@darth-ordinary)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

SING? I dont do singing. I certainly cant sing and play at the same time! hard enough getting round those 6 (or 4) strings. One thing is true, as discussed with Vic - I now have a bad GAS attack for a Bass, and a better acoustic. Think Ive got my guitar bases covered with the GS and Pacifica. I'll bring the Pacifica,acoustic and Vox AD30 along next time

Gordon Smith GS1.5-40 Marshall VS65R

Posted : 07/07/2007 9:39 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

SING? I dont do singing. I certainly cant sing and play at the same time! hard enough getting round those 6 (or 4) strings. One thing is true, as discussed with Vic - I now have a bad GAS attack for a Bass, and a better acoustic. Think Ive got my guitar bases covered with the GS and Pacifica. I'll bring the Pacifica,acoustic and Vox AD30 along next time

Posted : 07/07/2007 10:31 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

That's great that you guys live so close by each other and can get together to jam. 8) We'll be expecting great things from the Darth Vicer band! :wink:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 08/07/2007 12:52 pm
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Singing while playing takes practice , same as anything else . Don't limit yourself musically by not trying . Somebody has to sing in a band and somebody has to sing harmony parts as well . As a member of a 3-piece band I can tell you it is extremely helpful that everyone sings . While all three of us may not be the greatest singers individually , when combined in harmony , it sounds awesome . If your goal is to play in a band at some future point in time , having vocal ability will make you twice as valuable as someone who only plays an instrument . The other advantage is that you can keep the size of the band to a minimum , important when it comes time to splitting the money at the end of the performance . :wink:

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

Posted : 08/07/2007 4:59 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I can sing and play guitar (well, rhythm, anyway!) but I truly find it impossible to sing and play bass. I can't concentrate on two separate disciplines at the same time - if I concentrate on the bass-line, my singing suffers, and if I concentrate on my singing, I can't seem to get my timing right on the bass line.

Vic

Posted : 10/07/2007 1:32 am
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Can you walk and chew bubble gum ? :D A few years back I went with a drummer friend to hear a drummer play an demonstration/exhibition at a local music store . I think he was promoting Sabian cymbals . Anyways , he had a long list of people he had played with along with studio credits , etc. So he starts playing this amazing drum beat and then proceeds to explain what it was that he was doing with each limb (he had four , same as most of us) . So he plays just his kick-drum first and then adds hi-hat to it and at this point has exceeded the talent level of most present in the room . :shock: He then says "then add a SIMPLE samba rhythm" to this and everybody in room laughed at the preposterousnous of imagining trying to keep all this going at the same time . Each of his limbs was independent of the other . It was amazing , to say the least . So can you sing and play bass at the same time ? I think it's possible . :wink: You wouldn't want to be outdone by a drummer would you ?

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

Posted : 12/07/2007 4:46 am
(@corbind)
Noble Member

That's cool you guys got together. I'd say you'll get much, much better playing with others than staying at home. It's so much more fun!

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 16/07/2007 2:47 am