Clear all

La Casa Del Gordo, 7/13/07

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@katreich)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

I have survived another gig. This Friday I played at La CAsa Del Gordo in Highand Park IL. This restaurant has been open just under a year. The space has a large dining room and a smaller room with a bar and several booths and tables. I was set up in the bar area. Arriving about 40 min before the start of my 7pm gig, my husband and I set up the PA system (after managing to misplace a cord between home and the restaurant), I had a margarita, and jumped in. Good friend Mike Roberto and my husband played around with the sound all night, but whenwver we thought we had it right, the manager would ask us to turn it down a bit. With just me and an acoustic guitar , I didn't think volume would be a problem. The manager explained that since they did not advertise live music that they didn't want to chase any patrons away that weren't interested. I had several friends form work along with co-workers of my husbands and some family there. One of my friends asked to be moved form the dining room to the bar, because they couldn't hear from in there, so I think the manager was being overly cautious. Since it was early, there were a lot of families there, and it was neat to see all the little kids on their way in or out that had to stop and watch for while.
I did take a short break after an hour this time. It was only about ten minutes and I just needed to stretch and have a drink.This gave me the chance to say hello to all my friends that came and to thank them for coming, as well.
I was finishing the second set when Mike told me to play another song. unbeknownst to me, a local tv personality had just come in the door, and Mike wanted to make sure he heard me! Well no one came running up to offer to make me a star, yet it was still kind of cool. I had some buisness card to pass out as well.
This was another freebie,more for exposure than anything else, but the manager gave me an envelope with 50.00 at the end of the night, so I have officially has my first paying gig!!

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

Posted : 15/07/2007 12:37 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Congratulations, Katreich!

Sounds like it was a great night. 8)

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 15/07/2007 1:11 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

That's great, Kathy! :D Since you got paid, you can now call yourself a professional musician!! :D How cool is that? :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 15/07/2007 4:56 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Congratulations, Kathy.

That is a great report.

But, now you are going to have to come up with some deductions to compensate for getting paid. :roll:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 15/07/2007 5:51 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Gotta love getting paid when expecting nothing! :shock: Cool, too, you played on a Friday night. I don't know how you can remember all the lyrics for a few sets of songs. Was volume the only sound problem? I will get out your way to see one of your shows. I was in DeKalb Friday & Saturday.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 16/07/2007 2:28 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Congratulations Katreich! :D

It seems a very nice experience!

Posted : 16/07/2007 3:18 pm
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member

Cool Katreich !!! Excellent, your first paying gig ($50). Not bad, I think my first paying gig I made ($3). A silver dollar and a ($2) bill. I had them framed. You have to love it when the kids stop to listen, you know you are doing it right then. Sounds to me from the kid's reaction and the manager's you did well.

You will have to shoot me an email if you play farther south (Loop or farther south).

Ambition is the path to success...persistence is the vehicle you arrive in!!!

Posted : 16/07/2007 6:04 pm