Notifications
Clear all

Let this be a lesson to you . . . Whoa!

19 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Take these things into consideration . . .

1) Ms. Thomas-Rasset was offered multiple opportunities to settle out of court. The offer for settlement is still open to her.

2) She was found liable for a much smaller amount in the first trial. Again, she was offered the opportunity to negotiate a settlement after the verdict.

2) Instead of settling, she appealed. In the course of the second trial it was conclusively shown that not only was she guilty, she had perjured herself multiple times in the first trial, and had actively tried to conceal evidence of her guilt.

. . . and the RIAA is still willing to work out a settlement with her.

The jury didn't appreciate her assuming they were stupid and lying to them, so they smacked her down. Hard.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

Posted : 24/06/2009 11:57 am
(@alangreen)

$1.92 Million for Sharing 24 Songs :shock:

Meanwhile Arthur Andersen (of Enron fame) get fined of $500,000... All he did was destroy a company worth $4 billion and put 28000 people out of work. :roll:

Sure makes it easy to respect the process, don't it
Almost- Arthur Andersen were Enron's accountants and signed off Enron's accounts at the same time as admitting they didn't understand what Enron were doing. Enron's own people destroyed that company, booking fictitious Trades with Clients that didn't exist, Front Running, lying their way through the accountants' questions, and the chairman selling his own shares at the same time as he was telling his staff to buy them (and therefore keep the price higher).

$1.92 million is stupid money. I've paid £15/ $22 for a CD to get one song before, but $88k is ridiculous; the woman should have settled out of court for a couple of thousand dollars like so many others have done.
I bought "rights to listen to the song" on vinyl, bought them again on cassette and again on CD. I one case I even had the 8 track to boot! Who has been robbed here?

And the RIAA want you to carry on doing that by buying the remix, the club-remix, the limited edition 12-inch vinyl, the live album, the greatest hits, the concert DVD, the greatest hits DVD, and the greatest hits collectors' edition. I've lost count of how many times I've bought compilation CDs for guitar lessons and got another copy of Freebird so I must be the RIAA's favourite customer.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 24/06/2009 12:25 pm
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Almost- Arthur Andersen were Enron's accountants and signed off Enron's accounts at the same time as admitting they didn't understand what Enron were doing. Enron's own people destroyed that company, booking fictitious Trades with Clients that didn't exist, Front Running, lying their way through the accountants' questions, and the chairman selling his own shares at the same time as he was telling his staff to buy them (and therefore keep the price higher).

Ahh.. I stand corrected.

Still, that's the only fine I could find regarding the entire mess.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

Posted : 24/06/2009 10:12 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

it's just creative revenue enhancement to make up for a steady drop in sales.
here's an interesting read-
http://www.scholarsandrogues.com/2008/11/24/riaa-meet-rico/

#4491....

Posted : 24/06/2009 11:25 pm
Page 2 / 2