Clear all

Looking for Suggestions Regarding Site I'm Building

35 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Alright Crank :!: , err I mean Jason :lol: Where is my website. You have a deal line here. I've seen you posting, and I bet you been playing around with that geetar too. Get rid of the toys and GIT-R-DONE :!:

I'm just kidding of course. I hope its going well. I am really excited. Can ya tell?

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 07/10/2005 2:41 pm
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter

:lol:

It's coming along, a bit more slowly than I would like. Only reason is lack of time lately. Fortunately the sports I play are over, which should free up more time now.

I have spoke with a friend who does graphic design and she's going to design a logo and the visual layout of the site for me. I'm good at building, but horrible at graphics. :D She does really good work too, so I'm sure we'll be able to come up with a professional look. Meanwhile, I'll be coding the backend stuff.

I'll keep everyone informed ...

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

Posted : 07/10/2005 5:48 pm
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

Is this gonna be America only, North America, or international?
A friend of mine used to run a business called intromusic that would match up students with teachers (I believe it was for piano.) So, maybe have not just an area for skill level/genre of music played, but also have things such as instruments played. I'd suggest having four basic options in a search for other people "Hobbyist, profesional, aspiring, or any" for level of experience. I'll ask my buddy what some of the specifics were of his site.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

Posted : 08/10/2005 1:38 am
(@mikefly)
Eminent Member

im pretty fair with php mysql so if ya need help give me a hollar!!!!

I've been paying on these tattoo's for 10 years
(btw my site is a mess and under construction right now so dont visit it)

Posted : 13/10/2005 8:20 pm
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Jason: Yes, initially it will be a USA thing only. If it really takes off, I'll look into what I would need to do to make it more international.

Mike: Excellent. I may very well take you up on that. Once I get at least the core built, I might have you take a look at the code and see if you see any problems and/or improvements. Thanks for the offer!

Jason

Posted : 13/10/2005 9:03 pm
(@Anonymous)

Crank..it would be MUCH easier if you just used one of the pre-made portals/CMS systems like IntegraMOD (phpBB based...is what I use on my physical education site) or Mambo (I use that on my Guitar Gallery site). Other good ones include ExpressionEngine, phpNUKE, vBulletin, etc.

Also, if you need help with designing let me know...I can do graphics, site design, etc...I am not an expert but I getthe job done!

Posted : 19/10/2005 10:28 pm
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Crank..it would be MUCH easier if you just used one of the pre-made portals/CMS systems like IntegraMOD (phpBB based...is what I use on my physical education site) or Mambo (I use that on my Guitar Gallery site). Other good ones include ExpressionEngine, phpNUKE, vBulletin, etc.

Also, if you need help with designing let me know...I can do graphics, site design, etc...I am not an expert but I getthe job done!

Yeah, I've looked at a few of those portals. I once used PHPNuke for a site I had. I may still end up using bits from some of those things anyway. I'm finding my time limited, and hacking some code that someone else wrote takes less time (generally) than coding from scratch. I've setup a dev environment on my Linux box at home so I could quickly check my PHP and MySQL stuff.

I also spoke again with the woman who's going to do my graphics for me. We're making progress. I'm guessing it will towards the end of the year before I have something I'm ready to show.

I'll keep everyone posted ....

Jason

Posted : 20/10/2005 2:18 pm
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Wanted to give everyone an update.

Things stalled on this project due to other, paying projects. Those projects have been turned over and I have now started working on this project again. I'm hoping to have an "alpha" profile and search forms done within the next week or so. Once I have something at least initially working, I'd like to post a link and have everyone here help with some testing. I say testing because there is no guarantee that your info will last. I'll let post a link here when I have something.

I've seen many more posts on other sites asking for this same type of site. I think this is a good avenue to go down and I hope it turns out to be useful. I guess we'll see.

Jason

Posted : 21/02/2006 3:27 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Jason

Just an FYI.. I did the Harmony Central DB artist search thing and i was VERY unhappy with that one. If I put my information into a central DB I should atleast expect the following:

1. To be able to change my information (My taste might change)
2. To delete my profile all together
3. To NOT recieve spam from it. (This one really made me upset with HC)
4. Flexibility

There are others but those are biggies to me. Take it for what its worth. Ohh and thank you much for working on this.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 21/02/2006 3:35 pm
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Geoo, I've not tried the HC thing. Is that the "Browse Musicians Ads" link?

On Musicians4U, you will have full control over your information and search criteria (including deleting your account or just removing yourself from searchs). You will also not get any spam.

If anyone else has any experiences with other sites and would like to share, please do. These kind of comments help me understand what exactly people want. Thanks!

Jason

Posted : 21/02/2006 3:58 pm
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

Thanks for the update, glad you are still cranking away at it. ;)

Posted : 21/02/2006 4:55 pm
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Update:

I've almost got an "alpha" site complete. I say "alpha" because I'm sure it'll need some bug fixes and other enhancements. I'm hoping by this weekend to have something I can post here for some assistance testing everything.

For the time being, the member profiles will be rather simple. The searches will also be fairly simple. I just want to get something online so the db can start getting populated. In the meantime I'll be working on additions and enhancements.

It's turned out to be a little more to code than I had originally thought. :)

Jason

Posted : 14/03/2006 3:17 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Jason, if you dont mind I would like you to add in a BUNCH of musicians from central Oklahoma. LOL Finding it tougher than I would have imagined to find someone to play with.

Thank you for continuing to work on it.

Geoo

Posted : 14/03/2006 3:50 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Whoot! I'll give it a run-through if you like. I'm in the UK so not terribly suitable for content, but I'm a PHP/MySQL muso too so hopefully I can be helpful from that angle :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 14/03/2006 5:37 pm
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Hey, maybe once it's up you could help make it more than just a US based finder? It would be cool to be able to make it an international site at some point.

Jason

Posted : 14/03/2006 6:23 pm
Page 2 / 3