Skip to content
Monterey General St...

Notifications
Clear all

Monterey General Store 9/22/07 - now with MP3(s)

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter

Hello to all

Just (kind of) got back from another show at the Monterey General Store and figured I should check in with a report. This time out I went with a few more originals than I usually do. For some of them, it was a "first time in public" performance. Besides myself, the band included Karen Berger (my partner and fellow teacher) on piano, Jim Martin on bass and vocals and Joel Schick on harmonica and vocals.

Karen and I have also decided to try, when conditions permit, to include our students in more of our performances. This time out, Maeve, one of Karen's young piano students, opened the show with an arrangement of "Ode To Joy." She did a great job and the audience loved her.

Then we went on with our set:

Lobster Quadrille (original)
Man in Black Blues (original)
Summer Wages
Harvest Moon
Winter Comes So Early Here (old original)
Walk Away Renee
Into The Mystic
Sapphire (very old original)
Margaret Has A Lover (original)
Friend of The Devil
Lovers (original)
Saturn's Moons (original)
All of Me
No Reflection on You (Kathy Reichert original)
Make Me A Pallet
Dead Flowers
Me and Julio Down By The Schoolyard
Comfortably Numb
Cumberland County
Orange and Cinnamon (original)
Waiting For Nancy (old original)
Bright Side of the Road
Whiter Shade of Pale

All in all we had a fun time. The place was pretty full and the crowd was wonderful and responsive and even took part in the call and response in Bright Side of the Road. And I heard (and saw) folks singing along on many of the songs.

Apparently quite a few folks asked Ken (owner of the Monterey General Store) why our CD wasn't in stock and we had to tell folks we didn't have one. So now that is on the ever-growing "projects to do when there's time and money" list... :wink:

Let's see, what else? For those of you into specifics on gear, I played acoustic six string (Lowden) on most of the songs, switching to twelve string (Guild) on Winter Comes So Early Here, Walk Away Renee, and Comfortably Numb.

I think that's everything. If not I'll post it up when I've gotten some sleep.

Peace

Posted : 23/09/2007 2:17 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Neat idea to include your students in live performances.

Sounds like it was a good time.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 23/09/2007 2:51 am
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

Nice set list, David. Wish I were there!

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

Posted : 23/09/2007 3:58 pm
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter

Nice set list, David. Wish I were there!

Ah, but you will be in three weeks... :wink: Hope you don't mind, but I did a formal "plug" for your show at my show. Something like "Come see Kathy on October 13 and hear how her song should sound like..."

Also, I've been mentioning your upcoming show to my students and others and there are a number of folks who are very psyched about your coming back to the Berkshires. Your Thursday night mini-set and the Riverside Jam Songwriters' Night made a bigger impression than you know!

Peace

Posted : 23/09/2007 4:59 pm
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

:shock:

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

Posted : 23/09/2007 10:01 pm
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Hi David,

Sorry I never got back to you on our attending this show.
We intended to but life got in the way as it sometimes
does.

Nice set list I noticed some of those resurrected older originals
have found their way onto the list. We are looking forward to
attending Kathy's show in October and that should be a less
hectic day so it can be counted on. I have it on fairly good
authority that she has added a song by a certain Berkshire
songwriter to her set list.

Take Care

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 23/09/2007 11:59 pm
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter

I'm in the process of going through and (hopefully) posting some of this show. You can find Margaret Has A Lover here at my Soundclick page:

http://www.soundclick.com/pro/view/01/default.cfm?bandID=306627&content=music

With everything else that's going on of late, I'm not sure how many I'll get up, but I'll shoot for a few more later this week.

Thanks for listening.

Peace

Posted : 08/10/2007 3:22 am
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

Nice set list. I particularly like how you are allowing your students to participate. What a great way for them to get their feet wet in a relatively safe environment. When our band first started playing together, we were all complete rookies with the exceptin of our drummer (he has played for many years in blues, jazz and gospel bands in Chicago and Detroit). The rest of us have just been learnig as we go.

Jim

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

Posted : 09/10/2007 3:05 pm
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter

It's definitely great getting these kids up there, Jim, not to mention my adult students as well. And, as a teacher, it makes my life easier because the things they're learning seems to make a lot more (and immediate) sense in stead of being some vague idea.

And now, part of the latest update, Man In Black Blues is up online, too. Same place:

http://www.soundclick.com/pro/view/01/default.cfm?bandID=306627&content=music

And again (and always) thanks for listening.

Peace

Posted : 10/10/2007 4:07 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

That was very cool!

Thanks for sharing!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 21/10/2007 11:49 pm