(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter

With the Southern Roots:

November 13: Sandston Moose Lodge, Richmond VA, 8PM
November 26: Hooah's Sports Grill, Hopewell, VA, 8 PM
December 31: Sandston Moose Lodge, Richmond, VA, 9PM
January 21: Hooah's Sports Grill, Hopewell, VA, 8 PM

We've also got more December dates pending, but haven't confirmed yet.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

Posted : 28/10/2010 5:02 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Unfortunately I don't get down to VA much unless I go with the wife to visit in Roanoke but 8 / 9 is a pretty early starting time for a band.

Do these places close early or do you guys play all night? Up here most bands don't go on until about 10 at the earliest unless there is more than one band playing.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 28/10/2010 6:51 pm
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Unfortunately I don't get down to VA much unless I go with the wife to visit in Roanoke but 8 / 9 is a pretty early starting time for a band.

Do these places close early or do you guys play all night? Up here most bands don't go on until about 10 at the earliest unless there is more than one band playing.

The Social Quarters in the Moose Lodges generally close around 1AM, and they'll customarily schedule a band in from 8 to 12.

Hooah's is a motel lounge located right outside a military base (Fort Lee), and they close at midnight, so we generally stop about 11:45 there.

Both of the bands i'm in are more than capable of 4 to 5 hour shows on their own, so we rarely do multiple band bookings.

Maybe I'm old school, but my opinion is that if a band can't handle a club gig of four full sets on their own hook, they don't have any business booking into a club.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

Posted : 28/10/2010 9:22 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

That makes sense and from all your posts I figured you would have more than enough material was just curious about the starting times.

Well good luck with the shows.

Posted : 29/10/2010 11:27 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Good news! I'll be checking if you put another video of on if your songs.

Posted : 29/10/2010 4:44 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Good luck on the gigs! Someday I'll make it up that way. I'll have to see where Hopewell is.

cnev, the bands here start mostly at 9:00 PM. This is an early party town. It was quite a shock to me when I moved down here. Back in '90 or '91, the wife and I threw our first bash. Everything was going great, folks were having a large time, All of a sudden it was 11:00 and it was just us. WT...? We thought it was a disaster.

Two days later, we're back at work and all we're hearing is how great a bash we threw. :?: :?: :?: It was eventually explained to us that the locals never partied late. I grew up with 2:00 AM last calls and had 4:00 AM last calls in College. We would get sauced up cheaply at the dorms before hitting the clubs & bars at 11:00 - 12:00. Bands would start at 12:00. Different places, I guess. We've both gotten older and the thought of us staying out until 4:00 AM just doesn't happen.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 05/11/2010 10:24 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Yea Roy that's what I am used to and it's still like that here. Usually the bands don't start until around 10 ish and play till 1:30 - 1:45 depending on the bar.

Sometimes it's early around 9:30 but rarely earlier than that. Some of the bars will have a band play happy hour say 4 - 7 or so then have a different band play at night from 10 - 2.

I haven't been out there till 2 -3 Am inawhile bit everyonce in awhile.

In places like NYC nothing much happens before midnight.

Posted : 05/11/2010 11:07 am