Clear all

The Bandits first "real" gig.

14 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@1armbandit)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

October 9th my son was married and I did a few songs to fill time. I played Gordon Lightfoot's Beautiful for their first dance.
After the reception I was asked by a one of the attendees to play for an hour or so at a Camper gathering Tuesday night. I told them what they heard was what they would get as far as talent and content, mostly classic rock, pop, folk. So over the weekend I invited our lead singer/guitar player at church to join me. We are planning to start doing some accoustic duo stuff and even though the setlist will be different it gives us some time playing together without the rest of the band and sound equipment.

I put together some classic rock and folk stuff, The Band, Arlo Guthrie and stuff like that. Stuff that most people have heard and won't run away from.

It went really well. It turned out really windy and cool so they moved to an indoor shelter house which worked fine for me. The accoustics were OK and I tried to sing out as much as I could.

I was really happy with the set, I got asked the age old question, "How many harmonicas do you have?", the first time I opened my case. :lol:
So I took a minute or so to explain the diatonic harp and needing more than one to get the right sound with a particular song.

I put a couple of songs in just for Joe and he really nailed them.

Evidently they passed the hat while we were playing so we got a nice bundle of bills at the end and got a lot of good compliments. All in all a great time and almost no screw ups on my part. :shock:

I mentioned to the Mrs on the way home that that stuff could become addictive. She said she would start making out a list of things I'm not allowed to do once the World Tour starts. :lol:

Hopefully we will see some more things coming up in the future.

Jack

Posted : 28/10/2010 12:46 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Congrats.

Addictive? Absolutely!

Posted : 28/10/2010 3:18 pm
(@hammer1)
Trusted Member

That's great there bandit. Congrats. Of course I'd hardly describe playing your son's first dance at his wedding as"filling time". I'm sure you're just being modest, proud Dad and all. :-) I hope I'll do that at my youngsters wedding someday; I'd better start practicing now. ;)

Posted : 29/10/2010 2:47 pm
(@1armbandit)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

That's great there bandit. Congrats. Of course I'd hardly describe playing your son's first dance at his wedding as"filling time". I'm sure you're just being modest, proud Dad and all. :-) I hope I'll do that at my youngsters wedding someday; I'd better start practicing now. ;)

I was somewhat surprised that I was able to get through it without choking up. It went good though, no missed chords or lyrics. Wish I could say the same for Tuesday but nothing terrible or earth shattering happened.

Jack

Posted : 29/10/2010 4:18 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I mentioned to the Mrs on the way home that that stuff could become addictive. She said she would start making out a list of things I'm not allowed to do once the World Tour starts. :lol:
LOL!

Congrats Jack!

Posted : 29/10/2010 4:42 pm
(@1armbandit)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Is there such a thing as a very locallized World Tour, sya 20 mile radius of the house?

Jack

Posted : 29/10/2010 4:55 pm
(@davidhodge)

It's part of the world, isn't it? I'd say sure!

And a big congrats to you, Jack! Unbelievable how much fun it is, isn't it?

Peace

Posted : 29/10/2010 5:06 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Thrilled for you, Jack!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 29/10/2010 8:46 pm
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member

AWESOME!!!! & Yes...its VERY ADDICTING!!!

:D :D :D

Ambition is the path to success...persistence is the vehicle you arrive in!!!

Posted : 02/11/2010 8:42 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

First off, congrats to your son and his new wife. That's quite an honor to be asked to play a couple of numbers for their wedding. I have no idea how yu dodn't choke up. And good for you and congrats on yur one hour gig. Passing the hat. The ultimate in fan appreciation. They speak in the language they hete to speak in. In my younger days, I've seen people turn away from the door because they souldn't help pay for a band with smal cover or X-drink min thing.

Congrats on everything, dude!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 05/11/2010 10:09 am
(@1armbandit)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks everyone for the encouragment. I know that I have a long ways to go to be a "good" musician but I am good enough now that I feel the need to get out and let people see what I can do. I didn't and I don't think many people do, set out to be a role model but I feel that if just one person, not necessarily an amputee sees me and decides to give something new a try, well maybe it is all worth it.

Thanks again everyone.

Jack

Posted : 05/11/2010 4:57 pm
(@1armbandit)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Just when things were going along pretty well...looks like I will be spending some time behind bars. :cry:

Some of the folks from our church are going to take a holiday meal to a juvenile corrections facility on Dec 4th. One of the people has a contact there and requested that we be allowed to bring in instruments. So Joe and I will be playing a short set at the dinner. :lol: Him on guitar and me on harps. We want to minimize they amount of time required to inspect everything.

After I get out I'll be going to the Home. My wife does art projects at a home for mentally handicapped adults and I played for their Christmas party last year. They "requested" that we come back this year on Dec 13th. There were 10 or 12 people there last year and there will be 40 or so this year. We will bring the whole band to this one. Should be a fun and busy December.

We have been checking local coffee shops for some opprotunities to do some accoustic duo stuff but haven't gotten anywhere yet. There's always next year.

Jack

Posted : 22/11/2010 2:31 pm
(@1armbandit)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

We made it out of jail OK and last night was our set at the home. Actually at a hall so they would have enough room for everone. We were still pretty crowded but made it work. I thought it went off really well. The rest of the group seemed to enjoy it also.
That should wrap up the Christmas rush so maybe I can just deal with the family gatherings now.
Merry Christmas to you all.

Jack

Posted : 21/12/2010 1:01 pm
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I mentioned to the Mrs on the way home that that stuff could become addictive.
Jack

Could????? I've been on that hook for 40 years, and plan on another 40 more :D

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

Posted : 21/12/2010 2:45 pm