Clear all

My first concert, sorta.

27 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I just put on an inpromptu concert for my family and a few friends.
It went well, at least no one left the room.
My playlist in no particular order:
Horse with no name - America
Sandman- America
Girl- Beatles
In my life-Beatles
When I'm 64-Beatles
Helplessly hoping-CSN
Always on my mind-Willie Nelson
Best of my love-Eagles
Stairway to heaven-Led Zepplin (guitarforbeginners version)
Hey good lookin-Hank Williams Sr.
Tears in heaven- Clapton
Riders on the storm-?
Dead or alive-Bon Jovi
Sittin on the dock of the bay-Otis Redding
Old man-Neal Young
Not too bad after 10 months of playing.

Posted : 20/08/2005 6:19 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Nice one Missileman - half the songs on that list are songs we play in the pub every tuesday..now you just have to practise a few CCR songs (I may be the latest addition to the Tuesday night acoustic club, but there's no way in this world I'll ever go in a pub with a guitar and not play Proud Mary, Bad Moon Rising,Looking out my Back Door or Lodi) and move to England.....

Well done mate, bet you can't wait to do it again....excited and nervous at the same time, pick up a guitar, the adrenaline kicks in....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 20/08/2005 6:48 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Nice list, glad it went well for you.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 20/08/2005 8:04 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Pretty cool, that must have been atleast a full hour or what? We barely managed to fill 20 minutes with my band's first gig, cool stuff for just ten months! 8)

Posted : 20/08/2005 8:06 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks all,
Closer to 2 hours but there where breaks between songs :D
I do know some CCR, next time I will include them.

Posted : 20/08/2005 10:26 pm
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

that sounds great, ive been playin for a year and a half, and Im nowhere near that level

Posted : 21/08/2005 12:04 am
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

Missileman, way to go, great songs by the way. Were you singing along or just playing guitar?

Posted : 21/08/2005 12:07 am
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I sang about half the songs, the rest I just played and some others sang along.
I only played on the fingerstyle songs,
Seems when I play fingerstyle it sucks up too many brain cells and I can't get my mouth to work right.

Posted : 21/08/2005 12:09 am
(@Anonymous)

WOW guitar AND singing! That's great after 10 months! I envy you...I hope I am half as good as you at 10 months!

One question though....did you make any mistakes? I just had to ask... :roll:
If so how did you play them off?

Congrats!

Posted : 21/08/2005 12:22 am
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

missileman

That is outstanding for someone who has only been playing 10 months.

Congratulations.

Stay at it. At the rate you are going you will be able to do a solo act by the end of next year! :D

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 21/08/2005 1:13 am
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

No, no mistakes, just unexpected improvisation :lol:
I really had no problems with the strumming songs, more mistakes with the fingerstyle ones.
When I make mistakes I try to just keep going.
Most of the time people will not notice a mistake if you keep the music flowing fairly steady.
For example, in When I'm 64 there is a part toward the end of the verses that I have a bit of a hard time playing. If I can't hit it right I can fudge it so it sounds ok (I play that one fingerstyle)
Yes I have been playing for 10 months but I do have a couple of advantages.
1. I played Susaphone and bass guitar for about 10 years in school and for a little while after I graduated. So i am not entirely new to music.
2. I am blessed with a job that lets me practice 5+ hours per day.
That said, anyone can accomplish these types of things, with enough dedication and practice, no matter their background or situation.
PS: a little secret for covering mistakes, play some open strings while you get back on track, some sound is better than a silent gap.

Posted : 21/08/2005 1:13 am
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Great stuff Missileman, :)

I'm not only very impressed by the progress you've made, but also by your taking the bull by the horns and playing in front of everybody like that.

It's high time I stopped noodling around to invisible audiences and put the work into learning a small repertoire and then finding some victims. :wink:

I did take a small step in that direction yesterday by playing and singing one song all the way through to an audience of one - my wife. It went OK. 8)

I've been planning to revise a sort of "home concert" thing we used to do years ago, where we'd join a couple of tables together, invite a bunch of friends round, lay on a heap of food, and then all do some kind of "turn" - either tell a joke, sing a song, play an instrument, read a poem or whatever. Casual but a lot of fun.

Your post has inspired me to increase my efforts to make that happen again sooner rather than later, and to be able to play this time and not just tell jokes!

More power to your playing! :D

Posted : 21/08/2005 1:28 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

looking forward to your first English tour....do GN members gat 10% discount and/or VIP tickets?

if you're into Beatles songs, "You've got to hide your love away" always goes down well...so far this year, I've played it in a hotel bar in Benidorm, at my first ever open mic at the Fallout Lounge in Dallas, and every week at the pub on a tuesday night....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 21/08/2005 1:42 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

And....I forot to add...you can find a decent "pub" version of "You've got to hide your love away" on the Easy Song Database,,,,I know it's easy 'cos I put it there!!!!!

Vic

Posted : 21/08/2005 1:45 am
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

8)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 21/08/2005 12:54 pm
Page 1 / 2