Clear all

My son's upcoming gig

23 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter

If y'all are gonna be in White House, TN this Sunday (highly doubtful :D ), my son is playing a gig with one of his side projects. They are opening for a friend of his' band at Bob & Rhonda's, which is a sports bar/restaurant with a tiny "stage". Their setlist....

He is playing "bass" on
The Trooper
A Doobie Brothers song (he doesn't know the name of it :shock: )
Welcome Home Sanitarium
Brick House
Working Man

Keys on Separate Ways
Guitar on Passage to Bangkok

By "bass", I mean they don't have a bass player, so he is boosting the bass on his guitar amp, cutting the highs and using the bridge pickup and playing the bass line on the guitar.

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 24/07/2008 12:54 pm
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

My parents live near Nashville and I am down there a lot but not this weekend.
Sounds like a good time, though. Good luck to him!

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

Posted : 24/07/2008 1:01 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Good luck to him!!
That's some set list! Talk about diversity. Going from The Trooper to A Doobie Bros tune...that's a pretty far stretch. You have to be a pretty good band to pull that off so, that tells me that this band has their stuff together.

You have to be excited about this. Have you seen him play a gig before? Just putting myself in your shoes, I would be so pumped to watch my kid play a gig. That's so cool!!! 8) 8) 8)

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 24/07/2008 2:24 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That is a great set list!

Hope they have a great time!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 24/07/2008 3:00 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Unfortunately, Tennessee's not quite in my travel plans at the moment....but nonetheless, hope everything goes well!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 24/07/2008 3:31 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter

You have to be excited about this. Have you seen him play a gig before? Just putting myself in your shoes, I would be so pumped to watch my kid play a gig. That's so cool!!! 8) 8) 8)

I haven't seen him play yet, the only gig they've done was their school talent show. I am very pumped! I'm borrowing a friend's video camera, so I'll try to post some video for you guys.

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 24/07/2008 4:09 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Vic, when you do plan a trip to Tennessee, make sure you include Bristol in your itinerary!

Posted : 24/07/2008 5:31 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Sweet! I bet that'll be a blast. I love the fact he doesn't know the doobie brothers tune. Talk about cool and non-chalant. 8) 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 24/07/2008 5:54 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

SO you have to be one of the stereotypical dads you see on TV. Thre you are standing mid audience. You lean over to the person next to you and say.." yep. that's my son..." Then cross your arms and tilt your head slightly to one side as you lean back in your stance. You gotta do that. Its the unwritten universal Dad law.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 24/07/2008 6:08 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

SO you have to be one of the stereotypical dads you see on TV. Thre you are standing mid audience. You lean over to the person next to you and say.." yep. that's my son..." Then cross your arms and tilt your head slightly to one side as you lean back in your stance. You gotta do that. Its the unwritten universal Dad law.

Yeah, and one of those "Proud Dad" tee-shirts. Oh, and don't forget to (purposely or otherwise) botch up current hip slang when speaking to him in front of friends. All kinds of stuff I know about this, because I am the king of embarrassment according to my son. (Yes, he did just finished his Freshman year of High School. How did you know?) As one can imagine, I constantly add fuel to that fire. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 24/07/2008 6:42 pm
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Good luck with the gig. A proud day for you both. :D

Vic, when you do plan a trip to Tennessee, make sure you include Bristol in your itinerary!

Some good friends of mine visited Bristol last year, and came back with glowing reports - and hundreds of photos that I dutifully ploughed through. Unfortunately, they were mostly of cars going round a certain racetrack that you have there. Somehow it's not quite the same looking at car races without the important elements of noise and movement.... :mrgreen:

Posted : 24/07/2008 9:30 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

cool news. I hope it is a memorable evening. they must be stoked with excitement.
yeah, proud dad. standing by the van, keeping an eye on the gear, and then hauling the gear. :P

aw ,man, I am envious. I have no kids. :(
have a great time. congrats.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 24/07/2008 11:49 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Vic, there's a drag strip in Bristol, too. Much better for those of us with short attention spans than the roundy-round, a race lasts 4 1/2 seconds or so. Bring good hearing protection.

Posted : 25/07/2008 12:22 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

A little far for me to travel but I'd sure like to hear it! 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 25/07/2008 2:00 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like fun! :D Take some pics for all of us who can't make it. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 25/07/2008 8:19 pm
Page 1 / 2