Skip to content
Near Disaster at TR...

Notifications
Clear all

Near Disaster at TR's (Real disaster for Thunderfingers)

43 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Or get some fisherman with a graphite rod to practice casting out in the street whenever a cloud blows up.

Golfers seem to work pretty well, too.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 21/07/2008 4:03 am
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Sorry to hear about the damage TR. The good thing is that everyone is fine. Items can be replaced. What you have to play is ..."Money". Maybe that will conjure up a somethin nice :lol:

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 21/07/2008 12:29 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Avoid songs about meteorites, asteroids and the like.

Posted : 21/07/2008 1:28 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

My father's barn burned down one day about a jillion years ago when I was a kid. Me and my buddy went back to my car, and "Burning Down The House" was on the radio.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 21/07/2008 1:29 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Had to finally call off an unsuccessful "code" once, circa 1980-81. Right after I did, the radio at the bedside began playing "Another One Bites The Dust."

Posted : 21/07/2008 1:33 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

During a football match at Liverpool back in the '60's, the Leeds goalkeeper - Gary Sprake - accidentally threw the ball into his own net.... at half time, the DJ played "Careless Hands." And I bet that's the first time Des O'Connor got a mention on GN!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 21/07/2008 1:47 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

During a football match at Liverpool back in the '60's, the Leeds goalkeeper - Gary Sprake - accidentally threw the ball into his own net.... at half time, the DJ played "Careless Hands." And I bet that's the first time Des O'Connor got a mention on GN!

Vic
I was in the same class, at school, as his successor David Harvey. At the same time we had 2 Leeds RL stars as teachers, John Davis (Games, what else) and Lewis Jones (Maths, would you believe).

Oh, yes, we also had the Ryan twins................................................although they appeared under their family name, Sapherson

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 21/07/2008 3:46 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Or get some fisherman with a graphite rod to practice casting out in the street whenever a cloud blows up.

Golfers seem to work pretty well, too.

I got some graphite rods in the garage! :shock: :!: :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 23/07/2008 4:52 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You're lucky:

" Park Ranger Struck by Lightning 7 Times!

Struck by lightning record seven times
US Park Ranger Roy C. Sullivan from Virginia holds the record for the person most times struck by lightning - and living to tell the tale. Between 1942 and 1983, Roy has the dubious distinction of being struck by lightning seven times. He was known as the Human Lightning Rod.

The first lightning strike in 1942 happened as he was working up in a lookout tower and the lighting bolt shot through his leg and knocked his big toenail off.

In 1969 while he was driving along a mountain road a second strike burned off his eyebrows and knocked him unconscious. Another strike just a year later, while he was walking across his yard to get the mail, left his shoulder seared.

He was standing in the office at the ranger station in 1972 when lightning set his hair on fire and Roy had to throw a bucket of water over his head to cool off. A year later, after his hair had grown back, a lightning bolt ripped through his hat and hit him on the head, setting his hair on fire again. It threw him out of his truck, knocked his left shoe off and seared his legs. A sixth strike hit him in 1976 while he was checking on a campsite, injuring his ankle.

The last lightning bolt to hit Roy in 1977 happened while he was fishing. It sent him to hospital with chest and stomach burns.

Roy Sullivan was never killed by lighting - he committed suicide while in his 70's in 1983 reportedly distraught over the loss of a woman."

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 23/07/2008 6:28 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Well, we got another storm, the top of the tree came down and ripped out my phone line ... again. My son got his new amp, a beautiful Galien-Kruger Brat half stack. The insurance check came today covering the loss of multiple appliances as well as the amp. Things are looking up. We shot a video today ... yup ... a video. I will provide a link when I get it posted to youtube. Might have to wait til I am on high speed to do that though as videos are big files.

Posted : 29/07/2008 4:08 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Congrats to your son on the new amp.

I'm sorry to hear you're getting these storms. It sounds like our weather pattern, not yours.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 29/07/2008 8:59 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Putting a video on YouTube isn't as easy as it looks. I jumped up full of inspiration after listening to your "Ampstock" recordings, immediately laid down that track I posted and thought I'd have it up in a few minutes. Well, the video file from my camera was 220 MB, the network I'm on is really bogged down (likely by file sharers), and I worked all afternoon and night till about 1:00 A.M. trying to get the thing up. YouTube has no progress indicator to show whether the file's actually going up, so all I could do is wait in frustration. The help file says to expect 1-5 minutes per MB, and suggests some lame things to try like deleting cache and cookies if it takes over 24 hours! I found iMovie and trimmed off the ends where I started and turned off the camera and degraded the video and sound quality to a QuickTime file optimized for streaming, which brought it down to something like 12 MB, and then YouTube further degraded it after posting. To my horror I found when I finally got that one to post that YouTube had actually accepted the original file at 9:25 P.M., though I never got any notice of it (after endless spinning of the progress wheel I'd get an error message about the connection being interrupted, and the file didn't show up when I checked on YouTube), and then it was replaced with the later upload. If this is typical of YouTube, I don't see how so much stuff's gotten on there!
:shock:

Posted : 29/07/2008 1:57 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Ric, that's why I've posted precisely one guitar clip on Youtube - nowadays, I just load them up to photobucket. That's a slow process in itself, but at least you've got some sort of idea how much is up loaded, and how much is yet to come. Youtube seems to take forever - and I've got a reasonably fast connection!

Better to start any uploads before going to bed - they may just be done in the AM!

TR, good to hear TF's got the new amp - I await the video results!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 29/07/2008 2:36 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Running all night won't work here; the network stays bogged way through the wee hours. If you don't check on it now and then, you just find "Connection Interrupted" the next morning and get to start over. This morning things were working normally till the file sharing slacker got up and online about 11:15, now a simple page of text may take 5-10 minutes and several reload attempts to get up.

(Of course, it may not be a file sharer. Could be a clueless unprotected Windows user whose laptop's been converted to a spambot.)

Posted : 29/07/2008 2:43 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I'm finding this out! My first obstacle is to convert to windows friendly format so I can then shrink the size. It's gonna be a bit, but I'll work at it. The video came out nice too. I was suprised at the sound quality considering. I want everyone to see it but as I said, it's gonna be a bit.

Posted : 30/07/2008 3:59 am
Page 2 / 3