No CITA, no drumming, just guitaring-even better

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Yes, that's right. I pulled a 180 in my musical business.

I have taken leave of the bar band situation and not hauling 14 trips worth of drums any longer....(for the foreseen future, anyhow)

I have refocused my musical attention back to the church. After many months of not being able to attend early church due to the band I can now attend since I no longer am getting home at 3 in the morning from a bar gig.

I'm now the full-time guitarist for my church which I'm enjoying immensely.

Not sure if anyone is familiar with Christian music but we perform songs by bands like Lincoln Brewster, Marc James and many others. I've never seen so many "oddball" chords in my life. A2, A7, D/F#....and the list goes on and on.

My knowledge of those new chords and the various ways they can be played in the fretboard have really opened my eyes to mathmatics and patterns of musical theory that were nothing but mystifying for me up until a few weeks ago.

I was asked by our bass play if I'd like to join his Non-christian band as the rhythm guitarist. He gave me a dozen songs (with sheet music) they are working on and what do you know...I see A B C# F, etc....normal chords...the ones I've been used to since forever.

I can't express the joy and excitement that is taking me over with all the new guitar activity. This is what I needed to keep me from staling out with my previous situation. Now I'm enjoying playing every Sunday even if it is early....

Other than the spiritual rewards, I only have to make one trip with all my gear. I have a picture of everything ready for loading from last Sunday. Way better than a truck full of drums, cymbals and stands. :P

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 05/11/2009 11:56 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I've played Christian music too, and you're correct, you learn some chords you never thought were possible! :) Best of luck to you in your new adventures Bish. 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 06/11/2009 11:05 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks, Dan. I'm practicing right now for Sunday...I even enjoy practicing again....wooohoooo :lol:

Bish

Posted : 07/11/2009 2:43 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Just a little update.

I was able to record a service and captured some of the music we are playing. Yes, I'm the guitarist, not the drummer. 8)

http://www.youtube.com/user/bish1309#p/u/3/0wTQI17xSsU

Bish

Posted : 08/12/2009 2:28 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Nice job, you look good behind the guitar again. And you still have your "signature" Strat I see! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 08/12/2009 11:05 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Nice job, you look good behind the guitar again. And you still have your "signature" Strat I see! 8)
Good eye, Dan.

The last few weeks I'd been using the PRS but this week the songs had more of the strat tone to them and it just sounded better for the "songs of the week."

I think my ears are getting better trained to the tones of other guitar brands. I doubt I could have said that with any authority a couple years ago. :wink:

Bish

Posted : 10/12/2009 4:19 pm