Clear all

Question on non music ?

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I hope this is ok to post here , if not I am sure Nick or David or a moderator will move it ,
If anyone has or knows someone that has had a " NEUROSTIMULATOR " surgically implanted can they please contact me ?
I have been told the only way to become is to have this done on a trial basis to find out if I get satisfactory pain relief . I have been given a heap of infomation on this but would love to hear from someone who has this ..
Thanks all

Trev ...

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 06/11/2009 2:05 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Hmm never had one nor wasn't even aware they actually implanted them in people so this is more anectodal than anything but about 10 years ago I had severe back pain that traveled from the small of my back all the way down my sciatic nerve to my feet. The pain was 24/7 and felt like someone had a hot knife inside me....sleep was very difficult because there was no let up of the pain and no position would help releive it.

It was killing me because I had pleyed sports all my life and I couldn't do ANYTHING during this time. Well I went to see a chiropractor to try and help me out. His treatment consisted of laying on a table and having electrodes put on my back and then I beleive a small electical current is used to stimulate something (not sure if it was for the muscles or the nerves) then after 20 minutes of that I would go in a room and basically get a chiropratic massage.

I eventually stopped going because after 6 months the pain was getting worse and not better and after I got those electrical stimulations I couldn't even move it locked my back up so bad.

In the end I found a doctor who prescribed an anti-inflammatory drug that was like a miracle drug for me. within a week of taking this the pain went away and I was able to go back to doing everything that I used to do, play basketball, golf whatever and this was after 3 full years of no stop pain.

So when I hear about Neurostimulators I cringe a bit.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 06/11/2009 3:14 pm
(@whoelse)
Estimable Member

Since most of us are much more familiar with "Western" medicine, I'd understand if you're skeptical, but...

I had a girlfriend who was a massage therapist, doing mostly Eastern influenced accupressure massage. Since I had a history of back injuries from work, she would often work on my back and brought me a great deal of relief using massage "pressure points". She convinced me of the value of the techniques to the point that I started going to an accupuncturist. After only two sessions, I had great results and stopped using the meds I had for relief of my symptoms :D .

Does it work for everyone? Don't know. Is it just mind over matter? I don't think so. Is it worth giving a try? Why not? Don't rule it out as a possibility just cause it's not what's typical in western medicine. It might be worth trying before having a neurostimulator implanted internally. If it doesn't give you relief, then continue with your Doc's treatment plan.

If you haven't considered it, give it a chance. The needles are painless, you hardly feel them. You might look like a porcupine :lol: during the session, but it's worth it. If this is something you've tried already without success, that's a shame. Good luck, whichever path you take.

Dave "Who" Else

Posted : 06/11/2009 4:21 pm
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

Hope you find relief Trevor! All the best :)

Posted : 18/11/2009 8:27 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I liked electronic stimuli on my head in the form of some electric accupuncture. I go on a three a week thing as soon as I can be off of the meds long enough to make the hour round trip. Ain't gonna solve anything, but it does provide shrt term relief.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 18/11/2009 10:25 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

What did you need to know about it? My wifes best friend's husband has had one for quite a few years. Maybe I can get some information for you.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 18/11/2009 10:52 am