Skip to content
Now THIS is excitin...

Notifications
Clear all

Now THIS is exciting - real gig coming up(?)

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member
Topic starter

For the last two years I've been practicing on and off with my brother on bass and my uncle on guitar (and my aunt before they split). We've made it to a few small "family-gigs".

My uncle is the real musician - he played in some really good bands duirng the 1970s and 1980s and toured real hard for a period, even made an album.

Now he's been in contact with this guy who is running a small bar and is looking for ways to bring life back in after the smoking regulations removed a lot of his customers.

It turns out they have more or less agreed on the three of us playing a gig there the 16th of december. :shock: Think we need to start practicing - I'd say we probably know 10-15 songs pretty well. Double that and we have a decent program?

The feeling is somewaht like this :shock: and a little of this 8)

Will keep you updated!

lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

Posted : 13/11/2006 8:28 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Sounds very exciting Lars!

You guys have some time, so practice what you can & try to keep this :shock: under control, and focus on this 8) !

8)
Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 13/11/2006 11:27 am
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Lars

Congrats on the gig. You really need about 40 songs to play all night. I have seen bands that played much less by stretching songs out long, but that is not really the right way to do it.

Find a bunch of real simple 3 or 4 chord songs you can learn quick. The audience does not know whether a song is simple or complex, they only care if it sounds good.

You want to usually play 3 sets (this is what most bands do). You play maybe 12-15 songs and then take a 20 minute break. Play another 12-15 songs and take another break. The last set it is getting late, usually don't need as many songs, maybe 10.

Bring a CD player and play some good songs between sets through the PA. Silence is the death of a gig.

You want to start off a set with some real kickers that get people's attention. Then you play a few mellower songs. Then end each set with some real rockers again.

Get in as many practices as you can before the gig.

Congrats again, have fun and rock the house down. 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 13/11/2006 10:31 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

8) 8) 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 17/11/2006 9:11 am
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Finally we've managed to squeze in a practice session. ...
We've agreed on a set list and played through it tonight.

- this is not gonna be spectacular or anything - we've taken some songs most of us know already. basically my brother and I will be a backing group doing our best not to mess up what uncle is doing - he could have done it on his own if necessary :-) Ok, and some of the songs sounds pretty good with more voices, el-guitar and bass.

My uncle plays accoustic and sings most of the songs, brother takes care of the low end and does vocal on two songs, I play electric. Excpet for the dylan stuff were I do singing / harmonica and play accoustic.

OK set list. we wont aim any higher than 2x10 this time. Again, this is not a big gig, just playing for the locals at the pub more or less. a small step for music, a giant leap for me.

more or less like this

Things we said today
Bring it on home
She belongs to me
Under the boardwalk
In my life
Simple Twist of fate
Waterloo sunset
Between the devil and the deep blue sea
Crazy
Don't think twice it's alright

Break

What a wonderful world
Honey Pie
Lookin out my back door
A change is gonna come
Brown Eyed Girl
Sunny afternoon
Lodi
Under the boardwalk
Mr. Bojangle
I Shall be released
Hymn to freedom

Realistically we'll be able to practice 3 times more before the gig. ... these are not too complicated songs, so I guess we'll be alright

lars

Posted : 23/11/2006 8:10 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Lars

Those are nice set lists, you should be fine with that many songs. And with three more practices, you may be able to add a few more. Just run through your set lists and maybe work on one new song at the end. So you might be able to add one new song per practice. :D

Keep up the good work.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 23/11/2006 9:18 pm
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Thanks Wes - yes we have a few just below the dotted line - some of them may make on to the list

Posted : 23/11/2006 9:26 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Looks good, but you've got Under the Boardwalk in there in both sets... :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 23/11/2006 10:52 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Looks like some good songs. Should be alot of fun. :D Oh yeah, don't forget to have FUN & don't worry so much about not making mistakes! :wink:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 24/11/2006 12:24 am