Famed Member
Topic starter

Hello,

I was reading the local news this morning and found
this interesting article.

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/headlines/ci_3349329

I think many of you will find this interesting if for
no other reason the quote from a certain local guitar teacher
who is also the managing editor of a guitar lesson text Web site.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 28/12/2005 11:56 am
(@davidhodge)

I think many of you will find this interesting if for
no other reason the quote from a certain local guitar teacher
who is also the managing editor of a guitar lesson text Web site.

You mean someone who should be writing more "text" lessons! :wink:

Peace

Posted : 28/12/2005 12:22 pm
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Especially Kinky ones :wink:

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

Posted : 28/12/2005 12:26 pm
(@alangreen)

Especially Kinky ones :wink:

Pervert :-)

I think David hit the nail on the head - when you're a teacher sitting in front of a live student you can ask them if they understand. If they don't understand, then you have to find away of making it understandable. This usually means explaining something in a different way, or taking your student's fingers and putting them where they should be, or approaching the problem from a different angle.

Somewhere over at Jamey Andreas's site is a definition of Insanity - repeatedly doing the same thing the same way and expecting the results to be different (or something very close to that)

So, imagine I'm sitting in front of my pc with my brand new guitar, and I've never played before, and I've stumped up hard cash for a subscription to video lessons online (or got it for Christmas). Let's also imagine I want to play like Eddie van Halen cos I've got Eruption on a mp3 from Free Legal Downloads.somewhere and that's pretty good. A natural process would be to play the first video lesson that talks about advanced lead tecniques, try and copy it, and get miserable cos I can't play like that. What are my options? Well, I can play and watch the video lesson again and maybe I'll be able to play it this time (definition of insanity, someone?)

Or, I can sit in front of a real live teacher who will gently introduce me to lead techniques as part of an all-round learning programme.

I'm sure this guy's lesson site will do well - I hope it does because he's invested time and money to get it up and running and he believes in it. However, I think we should get ourselves ready here because inevitably some of the students who stump up their hard-earned cash and can't get their heads round some of the video lessons will end up here (where we teach and help and share for free) thinking they're stupid.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 28/12/2005 12:48 pm