Clear all

Open Mic Night

13 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Last night my neighbor came over and we were jamming (and drinking, but I believe that goes without saying). After many many recreational beverages, his girlfriend was mentioning to my fiance that we should go play somewhere. I dont know how the topic came up, but somehow an open mic night at a local bar got thrown into the conversation. Since I was quite lubricated, I readily agreed and we picked a date where everyone would be off work (the 21st) and worked up a song list.

They have a house band for backup, so we've decided on doing covers (technically neither of us have written anything that the other one knows) since we dont have a drummer anyway. The unfortunate part is that I havent played in public since I picked it back up this time. I've played before (open mic at the same bar many years ago, a coffee shop, a bookstore, and a lot at family gatherings), but it's been a long time.

Wish me luck folks. I still remember the jitters I got beforehand every single time, but I also remember the feeling after a good preformance (which is why I'm not backing out!).

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

Posted : 04/08/2005 1:15 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Sounds like fun!

Backing bands are great! They work hard to help you sound good, and you don't have to take the drummer home...

-Laz

Posted : 04/08/2005 4:10 pm
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Wish me luck folks. I still remember the jitters I got beforehand every single time, but I also remember the feeling after a good preformance (which is why I'm not backing out!).

Good luck and enjoy.

If it wasn't for them butterflies what would make us concentrate :lol:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

Posted : 04/08/2005 4:16 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I love Open Mics :D

Just remember that everyone is there to have fun. Nobody is going to shoot at you if you make a mistake.

Now, if you stare at some guy's girlfriend.........

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 05/08/2005 3:12 am
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Now, if you stare at some guy's girlfriend.........
Yep, then my girl shoots at me :)

I'm really excited about it. The more we practice, the more excited I get. Last night we played for a couple of hours to decide which ones we're going to do, and we're actually sounding fairly good.

I'll get someone to take pics while we're there. Thanks for the support folks.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

Posted : 05/08/2005 1:14 pm
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I suppose I forgot to mention that the date on this moved. We went last night and had a blast, but the batteries gave way in the camera before we ever got up. However, we'll be there again next week with a pretty good sized list and a 12 pack of energizers.

The whole thing went really well. I found out that I knew the drummer (and had known him since I was a little kid...he's been playing the area for 35 years and I've seen him since I was really young). We talked for a while and he really liked the way we sounded, along with our choices. We've now been asked to play a biker jam if we can come up with a good songlist (it's like 3 45 min sets) by next Wed. It would be a paying gig, we just have to prove that we can play them well.

If anyone has any suggestions for classic rock that bikers like, let me know!

Kurt Cobain

Posted : 18/08/2005 8:22 pm
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Biker rock? Here's a few:

"Older" Doobie Brothers: China Grove and Long Train Running
Steppenwolf: Magic Carpet Ride and Born to be Wild
BTO: Takin' Care of Business and You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet
Black Sabbath: Iron Man and Paranoid
Grateful Dead: Truckin', Playin' in the Band and Sugar Magnolia
Sailcat: Motorcycle Mama :wink:

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 18/08/2005 9:47 pm
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Well I feel better now. That's exactly the kind of thing we're playing.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Kurt Cobain

Posted : 18/08/2005 10:01 pm
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

After they get over the initial "WTF????", Arlo Guthrie's Motorcycle Song will earn you a warm spot in their hearts forever

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

Posted : 19/08/2005 2:03 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Gunslinger,

Play some Humble Pie - 30 Days in the hole (the biker's will like that one)
Bad Company
Marshall Tucker
Cream (Eric Clapton)

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 19/08/2005 12:22 pm
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

After they get over the initial "WTF????", Arlo Guthrie's Motorcycle Song will earn you a warm spot in their hearts forever

And if you tell the story that goes with it, the part about landing on the cop is always popular with bikers.

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 19/08/2005 10:58 pm
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I may just have to do that :)

Kurt Cobain

Posted : 20/08/2005 12:06 am
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

We have pictures this week:

I'm in the black shirt, and Mike is the Irish looking guy with the strat.

Kurt Cobain

Posted : 25/08/2005 5:24 am