Notifications
Clear all

Redundancy and Music - an update

24 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@alangreen)
Topic starter

I have done my last day as a full time investment banker - you'll notice there's an interview mentioned on the GN Home Page and also in this week's newsletter

As most of you know, I play guitar a bit which explains my hanging around here so much. Tomorrow is induction day at the Essex School Music Service - I put in an application when I was made redundant from UBS earlier this year and my record of never having failed an audition is still intact. I am joining Essex as a peripatetic guitar teacher and will be going in to three schools each week to turn all those parents' little darlings into the next Jimi Hendrix. My first day in School is Thursday of next week. I'm also available for private lessons (I have one student who's just renewed for another set of lessons) and I'm available for weddings, family parties, corporate events and all that sort of stuff.

I'll still be doing some part time investment banking and I've got a few more irons in the fire which (hopefully) will allow me to get out of that industry completely, not least the possibility of taking on a few more schools.

So, wish me luck. I should have done this years ago

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 01/09/2009 6:46 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Awesome news Alan, congratulations!!! :D :D :D :D

<Scrybe notes his footsteps and follows at a safe distance...>

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 01/09/2009 7:07 pm
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Fantastic Alan, good luck

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

Posted : 01/09/2009 7:25 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

That sounds like a great Job!!!!
congratulations - i bet you cant wait to start!!

I teach in a school (science), and it has been my aim to retire when i am 45 (guess i need something to look forward to :lol: )

However, i would dearly love to be good enough at guitar by then to take up a guitar teaching post at a school(s).
I have another 15 years to get good enough. Not sure if i can do it - but it'd sure be great!!

im pleased for you - will you get all the school holidays off??

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 01/09/2009 8:05 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Good luck Alan! :D

Posted : 01/09/2009 8:29 pm
(@alangreen)
Topic starter

will you get all the school holidays off??

Oh, yes. Most definitely

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 01/09/2009 8:52 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

well i go back on thursday after nearly 7 weeks off - after that long i do really resent having to do some work again :lol:

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 01/09/2009 9:28 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Congrats Alan!!! That sounds like a great job!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 02/09/2009 2:59 am
(@faultythinking)
Eminent Member

Hi Alan,

Even though I've not posted that much on GN (yet!), I've read a lot of your helpful replies on other threads, so had to pop on and wish a massive Good Luck! with your teaching venture. And also thanks for the interview, that was a good read. I've just tracked down your HereIsTheCity article too...

All the best!

FT
I think I can rock and roll
Probably just twisting...

Posted : 02/09/2009 8:20 am
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I am joining Essex as a peripatetic guitar teacher

Fantastic news Alan!

I had no idea that there were so many peripats wanting to learn guitar..... :wink:

All the best with the new life.

Cheers,

Chris

Posted : 02/09/2009 12:19 pm
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Congrats, Alan! It really is a rewarding career - you get to do what you love every day.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

Posted : 02/09/2009 1:55 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I wish you all the luck in the world Alan - although I've a feeling luck won't be a major factor in your new career. Reading the interview/profile, you're obviously talented, articulate and passionate about music. Well, maybe you'll need a little luck - but I know if I was just starting out playing guitar, I'd want you - or someone with your obvious qualities - for MY teacher.

All the best!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 02/09/2009 3:11 pm
(@maelendiir)
Eminent Member

Hi Alan

Congratulations! What a fantastic opportunity, one which I would love to happen to me. Me being a 22 year old who learned his first chord 3 weeks ago. Ahem.

Hope you have a blast!

:note1:

Posted : 02/09/2009 3:17 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

:note1: I'd like to teach :note2: . . . the kids to play :note1: . . . a geetar melody :note2:
Then transcibe it :note1: . . . and perfectly perform it :note2: . . . in any given key :note1:
Good luck, Alan

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 02/09/2009 3:42 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Good luck...Ooohhh what a Lucky man you are !!!!

Man that sounds like a good line for a song

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 02/09/2009 6:45 pm
Page 1 / 2