Clear all

Remembering George

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

It's been 5 years ago today that George Harrison left this world. He left behind not only a great body of music, but also a great many friends. George was always my favorite Beatle, and though he made mistakes in his life like everyone else, he left this world a better place for him having been here, and wouldn't we all like to be remembered like that? I can't say that I agreeded with everything George said & did, (I can't say that about myself sometimes too), but that's not what this should be about. I just want to remember a man who tried to make his world a better place than how he found it, and in the process made a few friends along the way.
GuitarNoise has put up a tribute to George on the home page for those of you who haven't seen it yet: Remembering George Harrison
Thanks George! You are missed.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 29/11/2006 12:05 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

5 years already? :shock: Seems like yesterday.

I'm putting the Foo's Oh George into a set me and friend have in a couple of weeks time (it's Dave Grohl's tribute to George). I'll write it out and add it to the ESD as soon as time permits.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 29/11/2006 12:26 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Man, I can't believe it's been 5 years, either! :shock:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 29/11/2006 1:13 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i highly recommend the "concert for george" dvd.
also the concert for bangladesh on dvd is much better than the vhs version imo.
i'll be playing both today, i too can't quite believe it's been 5 years

#4491....

Posted : 29/11/2006 2:24 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I like 'This is love' and 'My sweet lord' among George's post-beatles songs.

My sweet lord contains many Hindu Gods chants, which was really nice to hear, when i actually listened to it carefully :wink:

Long live George.May you have found the God, in the way you thought about him...

Rahul

Posted : 29/11/2006 2:41 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Rahul, "My Sweet Lord" was written when the Beatles were studying with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. He's the guy who started "Transcendental Meditation," a Hindu-based meditative discipline that was popular in the States in the 1970s.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 29/11/2006 5:37 pm
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Not only did George try to make the world a better place, he also made a massive amount of money doing what he loved to do. With so many ego-manics (or just plain jerks) in the entertainment industry, it is always nice to see good people do well. There are so few who give as much as George did - right now, only Bob Geldoff and Bono come to mind (although I am sure there are a few more).

Posted : 29/11/2006 7:17 pm
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

still, pedanticly, Rahul can be said to be correct in as much as the song first appeared on a post-beatlum album - never recorded with the beatles(?) AFAIK - but then again trivia was never my force.

Anyway - yes, miss George too! - but the music lives!

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

Posted : 29/11/2006 7:17 pm