Clear all

Alan Freeman dies age 79

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

A sad day indeed for all us "pop-pickers." Alan Freeman was a much-loved DJ here in England, I'll remember him mostly for presenting the top 30 on Sunday for many years.....but he was also one of the very few DJ's who played heavy rock during the 70's when all around was bland pop music and punk. "Fluff" - as he was known over here - had a passionate, boyish enthusiasm for music which lasted, well, probably till his death.

In the space of a couple of years we've lost three almost legendary DJ's - Fluff, Tommy Vance and John Peel. All of them refused to play bland, stereotypical pop music, they played the music they loved, and they'll all be missed for a long time to come.

RIP Fluff, one of the greats - "not 'arf!"

Alan Freeman 1927 - 2006

Obituary here...... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/2940413.stm

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 29/11/2006 4:41 pm
(@alangreen)

I didn't get into Fluff like I got into John Peel, but it's a sad day indeed for musicians the world over. A great loss to us all.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 29/11/2006 9:03 pm
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Yes,

Yes a sad loss indeed, but he had a good "innings". (British and Aussie way of saying a long life) I think I'm right in saying that he was an Australian originally.

I used to love the way he did the chart rundown, often copied by other DJ's today, but never bettered.

RIP "Fluff"

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

Posted : 09/12/2006 8:09 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Hey Chris,

Freeman is playing his second 'innings' in heaven. :wink:

Posted : 10/12/2006 6:41 am
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Even as a "Yank", I have heard of Alan Freeman, but don't think I actually ever heard him do a show. It is great to hail the contributions of pioneers and rebels. Long Live Rock and Roll and the memory of "Fluff"!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

Posted : 10/12/2006 2:15 pm
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Alright !!! that means good night !!!

Rip Fluff

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 10/12/2006 8:15 pm